linux-2.6.git
15 years agosysfs_remove_bin_file: no return value, dump_stack on error
Randy.Dunlap [Tue, 11 Jul 2006 06:05:25 +0000 (23:05 -0700)]
sysfs_remove_bin_file: no return value, dump_stack on error

Make sysfs_remove_bin_file() void.  If it detects an error,
printk the file name and call dump_stack().

sysfs_hash_and_remove() now returns an error code indicating
its success or failure so that sysfs_remove_bin_file() can
know success/failure.

Convert the only driver that checked the return value of
sysfs_remove_bin_file().

Signed-off-by: Randy Dunlap <rdunlap@xenotime.net>
Signed-off-by: Greg Kroah-Hartman <gregkh@suse.de>
15 years agokobject: must_check fixes
Randy Dunlap [Wed, 12 Jul 2006 03:49:41 +0000 (20:49 -0700)]
kobject: must_check fixes

Check all __must_check warnings in lib/kobject.c

Signed-off-by: Randy Dunlap <rdunlap@xenotime.net>
Signed-off-by: Greg Kroah-Hartman <gregkh@suse.de>
15 years agoDriver core: add ability for devices to create and remove bin files
Greg Kroah-Hartman [Tue, 19 Sep 2006 16:39:19 +0000 (09:39 -0700)]
Driver core: add ability for devices to create and remove bin files

Makes it easier for devices to create and remove binary attribute files
so they don't have to call directly into sysfs.  This is needed to help
with the conversion from struct class_device to struct device.

Signed-off-by: Greg Kroah-Hartman <gregkh@suse.de>
15 years agoClass: add support for class interfaces for devices
Greg Kroah-Hartman [Wed, 13 Sep 2006 13:34:05 +0000 (15:34 +0200)]
Class: add support for class interfaces for devices

When moving class_device usage over to device, we need to handle
class_interfaces properly with devices.  This patch adds that support.

Signed-off-by: Greg Kroah-Hartman <gregkh@suse.de>
15 years agoDriver core: create devices/virtual/ tree
Greg Kroah-Hartman [Tue, 8 Aug 2006 05:19:37 +0000 (22:19 -0700)]
Driver core: create devices/virtual/ tree

This change creates a devices/virtual/CLASS_NAME tree for struct devices
that belong to a class, yet do not have a "real" struct device for a
parent.  It automatically creates the directories on the fly as needed.

Cc: Kay Sievers <kay.sievers@vrfy.org>
Signed-off-by: Greg Kroah-Hartman <gregkh@suse.de>
15 years agoDriver core: add device_rename function
Greg Kroah-Hartman [Mon, 3 Jul 2006 21:31:12 +0000 (14:31 -0700)]
Driver core: add device_rename function

The network layer needs this to convert to using struct device instead
of a struct class_device.

Signed-off-by: Greg Kroah-Hartman <gregkh@suse.de>
15 years agoDriver core: add ability for classes to handle devices properly
Greg Kroah-Hartman [Wed, 28 Jun 2006 23:19:58 +0000 (16:19 -0700)]
Driver core: add ability for classes to handle devices properly

This adds two new callbacks to the class structure:
int (*dev_uevent)(struct device *dev, char **envp, int num_envp,
char *buffer, int buffer_size);
void (*dev_release)(struct device *dev);

And one pointer:
struct device_attribute * dev_attrs;

which all corrispond with the same thing as the "normal" class devices
do, yet this is for when a struct device is bound to a class.

Someday soon, struct class_device will go away, and then the other
fields in this structure can be removed too.  But this is necessary in
order to get the transition to work properly.

Tested out on a network core patch that converted it to use struct
device instead of struct class_device.

Signed-off-by: Greg Kroah-Hartman <gregkh@suse.de>
15 years agoDriver core: allow devices in classes to have no parent
Greg Kroah-Hartman [Wed, 28 Jun 2006 23:19:58 +0000 (16:19 -0700)]
Driver core: allow devices in classes to have no parent

This fixes an oops when a device is attached to a class, yet has no
"parent" device.  An example of this would be the "lo" device in the
network core.

We should create a "virtual" subdirectory under /sys/devices/ for these,
but no one seems to agree on a proper name for it yet...

Oh, and update my copyright on the driver core.

Signed-off-by: Greg Kroah-Hartman <gregkh@suse.de>
15 years agoDriver core: add groups support to struct device
Greg Kroah-Hartman [Tue, 27 Jun 2006 07:06:09 +0000 (00:06 -0700)]
Driver core: add groups support to struct device

This is needed for the network class devices in order to be able to
convert over to use struct device.

Signed-off-by: Greg Kroah-Hartman <gregkh@suse.de>
15 years agoPM: platform_bus and late_suspend/early_resume
David Brownell [Sun, 3 Sep 2006 20:16:45 +0000 (13:16 -0700)]
PM: platform_bus and late_suspend/early_resume

Teach platform_bus about the new suspend_late/resume_early PM calls,
issued with IRQs off.  Do we really need sysdev and friends any more,
or can janitors start switching its users over to platform_device so
we can do a minor code-ectomy?

Signed-off-by: David Brownell <dbrownell@users.sourceforge.net>
Signed-off-by: Greg Kroah-Hartman <gregkh@suse.de>
15 years agoPM: device_suspend/resume may sleep
Pavel Machek [Fri, 1 Sep 2006 05:02:11 +0000 (22:02 -0700)]
PM: device_suspend/resume may sleep

This adds warning when someone tries them from atomic context.

Signed-off-by: Pavel Machek <pavel@suse.cz>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Greg Kroah-Hartman <gregkh@suse.de>
15 years agoPM: add /sys/power documentation to Documentation/ABI
Rafael J. Wysocki [Wed, 30 Aug 2006 21:38:06 +0000 (23:38 +0200)]
PM: add /sys/power documentation to Documentation/ABI

The file sysfs-power that documents the interface in the /sys/power/ directory
is added to Documentation/ABI/testing.

Signed-off-by: Rafael J. Wysocki <rjw@sisk.pl>
Acked-by: Pavel Machek <pavel@ucw.cz>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Greg Kroah-Hartman <gregkh@suse.de>
15 years agoPM: no suspend_prepare() phase
David Brownell [Wed, 30 Aug 2006 21:09:47 +0000 (14:09 -0700)]
PM: no suspend_prepare() phase

Remove the new suspend_prepare() phase.  It doesn't seem very usable,
has never been tested, doesn't address fault cleanup, and would need
a sibling resume_complete(); plus there are no real use cases.  It
could be restored later if those issues get resolved.

Signed-off-by: David Brownell <dbrownell@users.sourceforge.net>
Cc: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Greg Kroah-Hartman <gregkh@suse.de>
15 years agoPM: schedule /sys/devices/.../power/state for removal
Pavel Machek [Wed, 30 Aug 2006 20:50:27 +0000 (13:50 -0700)]
PM: schedule /sys/devices/.../power/state for removal

This lists the /sys/devices/.../power/state file, and its internal support,
as due for removal next year.

Signed-off-by: Pavel Machek <pavel@suse.cz>
Signed-off-by: David Brownell <dbrownell@users.sourceforge.net>
Signed-off-by: Greg Kroah-Hartman <gregkh@suse.de>
15 years agoPM: add kconfig option for deprecated .../power/state files
David Brownell [Wed, 30 Aug 2006 20:54:36 +0000 (13:54 -0700)]
PM: add kconfig option for deprecated .../power/state files

Add a new PM_SYSFS_DEPRECATED config option to control whether or
not the /sys/devices/.../power/state files are provided.  This will
make it easier to get rid of that mechanism when the time comes,
and to verify that userspace tools work right without it.

Signed-off-by: David Brownell <dbrownell@users.sourceforge.net>
Acked-by: Pavel Machek <pavel@suse.cz>
Signed-off-by: Greg Kroah-Hartman <gregkh@suse.de>
15 years agoPM: update docs for writing .../power/state
David Brownell [Wed, 30 Aug 2006 21:12:48 +0000 (14:12 -0700)]
PM: update docs for writing .../power/state

Updates to match current code:

 - Make writes to the /sys/devices/.../power/state files fail cleanly
   if the device requires the irqs-off call variants.

 - Fix comments describing the /sys/devices/.../power/state file writes
   to match the code; the last several releases have invalidated the
   previous text.

Signed-off-by: David Brownell <dbrownell@users.sourceforge.net>
Signed-off-by: Greg Kroah-Hartman <gregkh@suse.de>
15 years agoupdated Documentation/power/devices.txt
David Brownell [Thu, 10 Aug 2006 23:38:28 +0000 (16:38 -0700)]
updated Documentation/power/devices.txt

This turned into a rewrite of Documentation/power/devices.txt:

 - Provide more of the "big picture"

 - Fixup some of the horribly ancient/obsolete description of device suspend()
   semantics; lots of text just got deleted.

 - Add a decent description of PM_EVENT_* codes, including the new PRETHAW code
   needed in some swsusp scenarios.

 - Describe the new PM factorization from Linus:
     * class suspend, current suspend, then suspend_late
     * NOT suspend_prepare, it wasn't really usable
     * resume_early, current resume, class resume.

 - Updates power/state docs to be correct, and deprecate its usage except for
   driver testing.

Signed-off-by: David Brownell <dbrownell@users.sourceforge.net>
Signed-off-by: Greg Kroah-Hartman <gregkh@suse.de>
15 years agoPM: issue PM_EVENT_PRETHAW
David Brownell [Tue, 15 Aug 2006 06:11:08 +0000 (23:11 -0700)]
PM: issue PM_EVENT_PRETHAW

This patch is the first of this series that should actually change any
behavior ...  by issuing the new event, now tha the rest of the kernel is
prepared to receive it.

This converts the PM core to issue the new PRETHAW message, which the rest of
the kernel is now ready to receive.

Signed-off-by: David Brownell <dbrownell@users.sourceforge.net>
Cc: "Rafael J. Wysocki" <rjw@sisk.pl>
Cc: Pavel Machek <pavel@ucw.cz>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Greg Kroah-Hartman <gregkh@suse.de>
15 years agoPM: USB HCDs use PM_EVENT_PRETHAW
David Brownell [Tue, 15 Aug 2006 06:11:06 +0000 (23:11 -0700)]
PM: USB HCDs use PM_EVENT_PRETHAW

This teaches several USB host controller drivers to treat PRETHAW as a chip
reset since the controller, and all devices connected to it, are no longer in
states compatible with how the snapshotted suspend() left them.

Signed-off-by: David Brownell <dbrownell@users.sourceforge.net>
Cc: "Rafael J. Wysocki" <rjw@sisk.pl>
Cc: Pavel Machek <pavel@ucw.cz>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Greg Kroah-Hartman <gregkh@suse.de>
15 years agoPM: video drivers and PM_EVENT_PRETHAW
David Brownell [Tue, 15 Aug 2006 06:11:06 +0000 (23:11 -0700)]
PM: video drivers and PM_EVENT_PRETHAW

Video drivers which explicitly test for messages reporting PM_EVENT_FREEZE
will now handle PM_EVENT_PRETHAW the same way.

Signed-off-by: David Brownell <dbrownell@users.sourceforge.net>
Cc: "Rafael J. Wysocki" <rjw@sisk.pl>
Cc: Pavel Machek <pavel@ucw.cz>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Greg Kroah-Hartman <gregkh@suse.de>
15 years agoPM: PCI and IDE handle PM_EVENT_PRETHAW
David Brownell [Tue, 15 Aug 2006 06:11:05 +0000 (23:11 -0700)]
PM: PCI and IDE handle PM_EVENT_PRETHAW

Convert some framework code to handle the new PRETHAW message.

  - IDE just treats it like a FREEZE.

  - The pci_choose_state() thingie still doesn't use PCI_D0 when it gets a
    FREEZE (and now PRETHAW) event, which seems rather buglike but wasn't
    something to change with this patch.

Signed-off-by: David Brownell <dbrownell@users.sourceforge.net>
Cc: "Rafael J. Wysocki" <rjw@sisk.pl>
Cc: Pavel Machek <pavel@ucw.cz>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Greg Kroah-Hartman <gregkh@suse.de>
15 years agoPM: define PM_EVENT_PRETHAW
David Brownell [Tue, 15 Aug 2006 06:11:04 +0000 (23:11 -0700)]
PM: define PM_EVENT_PRETHAW

This adds a new pm_message_t event type to use when preparing to restore a
swsusp snapshot.  Devices that have been initialized by Linux after resume
(rather than left in power-up-reset state) may need to be reset; this new
event type give drivers the chance to do that.

The drivers that will care about this are those which understand more hardware
states than just "on" and "reset", relying on hardware state during resume()
methods to be either the state left by the preceding suspend(), or a
power-lost reset.  The best current example of this class of drivers are USB
host controller drivers, which currently do not work through swsusp when
they're statically linked.

When the swsusp freeze/thaw mechanism kicks in, a troublesome third state
could exist: one state set up by a different kernel instance, before a
snapshot image is resumed.  This mechanism lets drivers prevent that state.

Signed-off-by: David Brownell <dbrownell@users.sourceforge.net>
Cc: "Rafael J. Wysocki" <rjw@sisk.pl>
Cc: Pavel Machek <pavel@ucw.cz>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Greg Kroah-Hartman <gregkh@suse.de>
15 years agofix broken/dubious driver suspend() methods
David Brownell [Tue, 15 Aug 2006 06:11:03 +0000 (23:11 -0700)]
fix broken/dubious driver suspend() methods

Small driver suspend() fixes in preparation for the PRETHAW events:

 - Only compare message events for equality against PM_EVENT_* codes;
   not against integers, or using greater/less-than comparisons.
   (PM_EVENT_* should really become a __bitwise thing.)

 - Explicitly test for SUSPEND events (rather than not-something-else)
   before suspending devices.

 - Removes more of the confusion between a pm_message_t (wraps event code)
   and a "state" ... suspend() originally took a target system state.

These updates are correct and appropriate even without new PM_EVENT codes.

benh: "I think in the Mesh case, we should handle the freeze case as well or
we might get wild DMA."

Signed-off-by: David Brownell <dbrownell@users.sourceforge.net>
Acked-by: Pavel Machek <pavel@ucw.cz>
Cc: Greg KH <greg@kroah.com>
Cc: Paul Mackerras <paulus@samba.org>
Acked-by: Benjamin Herrenschmidt <benh@kernel.crashing.org>
Cc: Mauro Carvalho Chehab <mchehab@infradead.org>
Cc: James Bottomley <James.Bottomley@steeleye.com>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Greg Kroah-Hartman <gregkh@suse.de>
15 years agomake suspend quieter
David Brownell [Sun, 9 Jul 2006 23:28:28 +0000 (16:28 -0700)]
make suspend quieter

Fix a goof in Linus' recent PM API updates:  don't emit any messages in the
typical NOP "already suspended it" late suspend case.

Signed-off-by: David Brownell <dbrownell@users.sourceforge.net>
Acked-by: Pavel Machek <pavel@ucw.cz>
Signed-off-by: Greg Kroah-Hartman <gregkh@suse.de>
15 years agoSuspend changes for PCI core
Linus Torvalds [Sat, 24 Jun 2006 21:50:29 +0000 (14:50 -0700)]
Suspend changes for PCI core

Changes the PCI core to use the new suspend infrastructure changes.

Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Greg Kroah-Hartman <gregkh@suse.de>
15 years agoSuspend infrastructure cleanup and extension
Linus Torvalds [Sat, 24 Jun 2006 21:50:29 +0000 (14:50 -0700)]
Suspend infrastructure cleanup and extension

Allow devices to participate in the suspend process more intimately,
in particular, allow the final phase (with interrupts disabled) to
also be open to normal devices, not just system devices.

Also, allow classes to participate in device suspend.

Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Greg Kroah-Hartman <gregkh@suse.de>
15 years agoSYSFS: allow sysfs_create_link to create symlinks in the root of sysfs
Greg Kroah-Hartman [Tue, 9 Apr 2002 19:14:34 +0000 (12:14 -0700)]
SYSFS: allow sysfs_create_link to create symlinks in the root of sysfs

This is needed to make the compatible link for /sys/block in the future.

Signed-off-by: Greg Kroah-Hartman <gregkh@suse.de>
15 years agoDebugfs: kernel-doc fixes for debugfs
Randy Dunlap [Thu, 20 Jul 2006 15:16:42 +0000 (08:16 -0700)]
Debugfs: kernel-doc fixes for debugfs

Fix kernel-doc and typos/spellos in fs/debugfs/.

Signed-off-by: Randy Dunlap <rdunlap@xenotime.net>
Signed-off-by: Greg Kroah-Hartman <gregkh@suse.de>
15 years agosysfs: Make poll behaviour consistent
Juha Yrjölä [Thu, 3 Aug 2006 16:06:25 +0000 (19:06 +0300)]
sysfs: Make poll behaviour consistent

When no events have been reported by sysfs_notify(), sd->s_events
was previously set to zero.  The initial value for new readers is
also zero, so poll was blocking, regardless of whether the attribute
was read by the process or not.

Make poll behave consistently by setting the initial value of
sd->s_events to non-zero.

Signed-off-by: Juha Yrjola <juha.yrjola@solidboot.com>
Signed-off-by: Greg Kroah-Hartman <gregkh@suse.de>
15 years agoDriver core: add const to class_create
Miguel Ojeda Sandonis [Wed, 13 Sep 2006 13:34:05 +0000 (15:34 +0200)]
Driver core: add const to class_create

Adds const to class_create second parameter, because:

struct class {
const char * name;

/*...*/
}

Signed-off-by: Miguel Ojeda Sandonis <maxextreme@gmail.com>
Signed-off-by: Greg Kroah-Hartman <gregkh@suse.de>
15 years agodevice_create(): make fmt argument 'const char *'
Greg Kroah-Hartman [Thu, 10 Aug 2006 05:19:19 +0000 (01:19 -0400)]
device_create(): make fmt argument 'const char *'

Signed-off-by: Greg Kroah-Hartman <gregkh@suse.de>
15 years agoclass_device_create(): make fmt argument 'const char *'
Dmitry Torokhov [Thu, 10 Aug 2006 05:18:18 +0000 (01:18 -0400)]
class_device_create(): make fmt argument 'const char *'

Signed-off-by: Dmitry Torokhov <dtor@mail.ru>
Signed-off-by: Greg Kroah-Hartman <gregkh@suse.de>
15 years agodeprecate PHYSDEV* keys
Kay Sievers [Sun, 13 Aug 2006 04:17:09 +0000 (06:17 +0200)]
deprecate PHYSDEV* keys

deprecate PHYSDEV* values in the uevent environment

These values are no longer needed and inconsistent with the
stacking of class devices. The event environment should not
carry properties of a parent device. The key PHYSDEVDRIVER is
available as DRIVER, PHYDEVBUS is indentical SUBSYSTEM. Class
devices should not carry any of these values.

Signed-off-by: Kay Sievers <kay.sievers@suse.de>
Signed-off-by: Greg Kroah-Hartman <gregkh@suse.de>
15 years agoDocumentation/ABI: devfs is not obsolete, but removed!
jens m. noedler [Sun, 10 Sep 2006 16:46:33 +0000 (18:46 +0200)]
Documentation/ABI: devfs is not obsolete, but removed!

Signed-off-by: Jens M. Noedler <noedler@web.de>
Signed-off-by: Greg Kroah-Hartman <gregkh@suse.de>
15 years agoMerge master.kernel.org:/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/davem/net-2.6
Linus Torvalds [Tue, 26 Sep 2006 00:39:55 +0000 (17:39 -0700)]
Merge /pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/davem/net-2.6

* master.kernel.org:/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/davem/net-2.6:
  [NetLabel]: update docs with website information
  [NetLabel]: rework the Netlink attribute handling (part 2)
  [NetLabel]: rework the Netlink attribute handling (part 1)
  [Netlink]: add nla_validate_nested()
  [NETLINK]: add nla_for_each_nested() to the interface list
  [NetLabel]: change the SELinux permissions
  [NetLabel]: make the CIPSOv4 cache spinlocks bottom half safe
  [NetLabel]: correct improper handling of non-NetLabel peer contexts
  [TCP]: make cubic the default
  [TCP]: default congestion control menu
  [ATM] he: Fix __init/__devinit conflict
  [NETFILTER]: Add dscp,DSCP headers to header-y
  [DCCP]: Introduce dccp_probe
  [DCCP]: Use constants for CCIDs
  [DCCP]: Introduce constants for CCID numbers
  [DCCP]: Allow default/fallback service code.

15 years agoMerge master.kernel.org:/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/davem/sparc-2.6
Linus Torvalds [Tue, 26 Sep 2006 00:39:04 +0000 (17:39 -0700)]
Merge /pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/davem/sparc-2.6

* master.kernel.org:/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/davem/sparc-2.6:
  [SOUND] sparc/amd7930: Use __devinit and __devinitdata as needed.
  [SUNLANCE]: Mark sparc_lance_probe_one as __devinit.
  [SPARC64]: Fix section-mismatch errors in solaris emul module.

15 years ago[PATCH] VIDIOC_ENUMSTD bug
Jonathan Corbet [Mon, 25 Sep 2006 23:25:37 +0000 (16:25 -0700)]
[PATCH] VIDIOC_ENUMSTD bug

The v4l2 API documentation for VIDIOC_ENUMSTD says:

To enumerate all standards applications shall begin at index
zero, incrementing by one until the driver returns EINVAL.

The actual code, however, tests the index this way:

               if (index<=0 || index >= vfd->tvnormsize) {
                        ret=-EINVAL;

So any application which passes in index=0 gets EINVAL right off the bat
- and, in fact, this is what happens to mplayer.  So I think the
following patch is called for, and maybe even appropriate for a 2.6.18.x
stable release.

Signed-off-by: Jonathan Corbet <corbet@lwn.net>
Cc: Mauro Carvalho Chehab <mchehab@infradead.org>
Cc: <stable@kernel.org>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>
15 years ago[PATCH] load_module: no BUG if module_subsys uninitialized
Ed Swierk [Mon, 25 Sep 2006 23:25:36 +0000 (16:25 -0700)]
[PATCH] load_module: no BUG if module_subsys uninitialized

Invoking load_module() before param_sysfs_init() is called crashes in
mod_sysfs_setup(), since the kset in module_subsys is not initialized yet.

In my case, net-pf-1 is getting modprobed as a result of hotplug trying to
create a UNIX socket.  Calls to hotplug begin after the topology_init
initcall.

Another patch for the same symptom (module_subsys-initialize-earlier.patch)
moves param_sysfs_init() to the subsys initcalls, but this is still not
early enough in the boot process in some cases.  In particular,
topology_init() causes /sbin/hotplug to run, which requests net-pf-1 (the
UNIX socket protocol) which can be compiled as a module.  Moving
param_sysfs_init() to the postcore initcalls fixes this particular race,
but there might well be other cases where a usermodehelper causes a module
to load earlier still.

The patch makes load_module() return an error rather than crashing the
kernel if invoked before module_subsys is initialized.

Cc: Mark Huang <mlhuang@cs.princeton.edu>
Cc: Greg KH <greg@kroah.com>
Cc: <stable@kernel.org>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>
15 years ago[PATCH] i386: fix flat mode numa on a real numa system
keith mannthey [Mon, 25 Sep 2006 23:25:35 +0000 (16:25 -0700)]
[PATCH] i386: fix flat mode numa on a real numa system

If there is only 1 node in the system cpus should think they are apart of
some other node.

If cases where a real numa system boots the Flat numa option make sure the
cpus don't claim to be apart on a non-existent node.

Signed-off-by: Keith Mannthey <kmannth@us.ibm.com>
Cc: Andy Whitcroft <apw@shadowen.org>
Cc: Dave Hansen <haveblue@us.ibm.com>
Cc: Andi Kleen <ak@suse.de>
Cc: <stable@kernel.org>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>
15 years ago[PATCH] cpu to node relationship fixup: map cpu to node
KAMEZAWA Hiroyuki [Mon, 25 Sep 2006 23:25:31 +0000 (16:25 -0700)]
[PATCH] cpu to node relationship fixup: map cpu to node

Assume that a cpu is *physically* offlined at boot time...

Because smpboot.c::smp_boot_cpu_map() canoot find cpu's sapicid,
numa.c::build_cpu_to_node_map() cannot build cpu<->node map for
offlined cpu.

For such cpus, cpu_to_node map should be fixed at cpu-hot-add.
This mapping should be done before cpu onlining.

This patch also handles cpu hotremove case.

Signed-off-by: KAMEZAWA Hiroyuki <kamezawa.hiroyu@jp.fujitsu.com>
Cc: "Luck, Tony" <tony.luck@intel.com>
Cc: <stable@kernel.org>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>
15 years ago[PATCH] cpu to node relationship fixup: acpi_map_cpu2node
KAMEZAWA Hiroyuki [Mon, 25 Sep 2006 23:25:21 +0000 (16:25 -0700)]
[PATCH] cpu to node relationship fixup: acpi_map_cpu2node

Problem description:

  We have additional_cpus= option for allocating possible_cpus.  But nid
  for possible cpus are not fixed at boot time.  cpus which is offlined at
  boot or cpus which is not on SRAT is not tied to its node.  This will
  cause panic at cpu onlining.

Usually, pxm_to_nid() mapping is fixed at boot time by SRAT.

But, unfortunately, some system (my system!) do not include
full SRAT table for possible cpus.  (Then, I use
additiona_cpus= option.)

For such possible cpus, pxm<->nid should be fixed at
hot-add.  We now have acpi_map_pxm_to_node() which is also
used at boot.  It's suitable here.

Signed-off-by: KAMEZAWA Hiroyuki <kamezawa.hiroyu@jp.fujitsu.com>
Cc: "Luck, Tony" <tony.luck@intel.com>
Cc: <stable@kernel.org>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>
15 years ago[PATCH] backlight: fix oops in __mutex_lock_slowpath during head /sys/class/graphics...
Michael Hanselmann [Mon, 25 Sep 2006 23:25:07 +0000 (16:25 -0700)]
[PATCH] backlight: fix oops in __mutex_lock_slowpath during head /sys/class/graphics/fb0/*

Seems like not all drivers use the framebuffer_alloc() function and won't
have an initialized mutex.  But those don't have a backlight, anyway.

Signed-off-by: Michael Hanselmann <linux-kernel@hansmi.ch>
Cc: Olaf Hering <olaf@aepfle.de>
Cc: "Antonino A. Daplas" <adaplas@pol.net>
Cc: Daniel R Thompson <daniel.thompson@st.com>
Cc: Jon Smirl <jonsmirl@gmail.com>
Cc: <stable@kernel.org>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>
15 years ago[PATCH] do not free non slab allocated per_cpu_pageset
David Rientjes [Mon, 25 Sep 2006 23:24:57 +0000 (16:24 -0700)]
[PATCH] do not free non slab allocated per_cpu_pageset

Stops panic associated with attempting to free a non slab-allocated
per_cpu_pageset.

Signed-off-by: David Rientjes <rientjes@cs.washington.edu>
Acked-by: Christoph Lameter <clameter@sgi.com>
Cc: <stable@kernel.org>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>
15 years ago[PATCH] i386 bootioremap / kexec fix
keith mannthey [Mon, 25 Sep 2006 23:24:39 +0000 (16:24 -0700)]
[PATCH] i386 bootioremap / kexec fix

With CONFIG_PHYSICAL_START set to a non default values the i386
boot_ioremap code calculated its pte index wrong and users of boot_ioremap
have their areas incorrectly mapped (for me SRAT table not mapped during
early boot).  This patch removes the addr < BOOT_PTE_PTRS constraint.

[ Keith says this is applicable to 2.6.16 and 2.6.17 as well ]

Signed-off-by: Keith Mannthey<kmannth@us.ibm.com>
Cc: Vivek Goyal <vgoyal@in.ibm.com>
Cc: Dave Hansen <haveblue@us.ibm.com>
Cc: <stable@kernel.org>
Cc: Adrian Bunk <bunk@stusta.de>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>
15 years ago[PATCH] rtc: lockdep fix/workaround
Peter Zijlstra [Mon, 25 Sep 2006 23:24:23 +0000 (16:24 -0700)]
[PATCH] rtc: lockdep fix/workaround

BUG: warning at kernel/lockdep.c:1816/trace_hardirqs_on() (Not tainted)
 [<c04051ee>] show_trace_log_lvl+0x58/0x171
 [<c0405802>] show_trace+0xd/0x10
 [<c040591b>] dump_stack+0x19/0x1b
 [<c043abee>] trace_hardirqs_on+0xa2/0x11e
 [<c06143c3>] _spin_unlock_irq+0x22/0x26
 [<c0541540>] rtc_get_rtc_time+0x32/0x176
 [<c0419ba4>] hpet_rtc_interrupt+0x92/0x14d
 [<c0450f94>] handle_IRQ_event+0x20/0x4d
 [<c0451055>] __do_IRQ+0x94/0xef
 [<c040678d>] do_IRQ+0x9e/0xbd
 [<c0404a49>] common_interrupt+0x25/0x2c
DWARF2 unwinder stuck at common_interrupt+0x25/0x2c

Signed-off-by: Peter Zijlstra <a.p.zijlstra@chello.nl>
Acked-by: Ingo Molnar <mingo@elte.hu>
Cc: <stable@kernel.org>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>
15 years ago[PATCH] autofs4: zero timeout prevents shutdown
Ian Kent [Mon, 25 Sep 2006 23:24:16 +0000 (16:24 -0700)]
[PATCH] autofs4: zero timeout prevents shutdown

If the timeout of an autofs mount is set to zero then umounts are disabled.
 This works fine, however the kernel module checks the expire timeout and
goes no further if it is zero.  This is not the right thing to do at
shutdown as the module is passed an option to expire mounts regardless of
their timeout setting.

This patch allows autofs to honor the force expire option.

Signed-off-by: Ian Kent <raven@themaw.net>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>
15 years ago[SOUND] sparc/amd7930: Use __devinit and __devinitdata as needed.
David S. Miller [Mon, 25 Sep 2006 21:08:37 +0000 (14:08 -0700)]
[SOUND] sparc/amd7930: Use __devinit and __devinitdata as needed.

Fixes section-mismatch errors.

Signed-off-by: David S. Miller <davem@davemloft.net>
15 years ago[SUNLANCE]: Mark sparc_lance_probe_one as __devinit.
David S. Miller [Mon, 25 Sep 2006 21:04:49 +0000 (14:04 -0700)]
[SUNLANCE]: Mark sparc_lance_probe_one as __devinit.

Fixes section mismatch warnings when built as a module.

Also, mark find_ledma and sun4 init function as __devinit
too.

Signed-off-by: David S. Miller <davem@davemloft.net>
15 years ago[SPARC64]: Fix section-mismatch errors in solaris emul module.
David S. Miller [Mon, 25 Sep 2006 21:00:45 +0000 (14:00 -0700)]
[SPARC64]: Fix section-mismatch errors in solaris emul module.

init_socksys() was marked __init but invoked from a
non-__init function.

Use the correct module_{init,exit}() faciltiies while we're
here and eliminate some seriously bogus ifdefs.

Signed-off-by: David S. Miller <davem@davemloft.net>
15 years ago[NetLabel]: update docs with website information
Paul Moore [Mon, 25 Sep 2006 22:57:13 +0000 (15:57 -0700)]
[NetLabel]: update docs with website information

Now that all of the supporting pieces of NetLabel have a home at SourceForge
update the Kconfig help text and add an entry to the MAINTAINERS file.

Signed-off-by: Paul Moore <paul.moore@hp.com>
Signed-off-by: David S. Miller <davem@davemloft.net>
15 years ago[NetLabel]: rework the Netlink attribute handling (part 2)
Paul Moore [Mon, 25 Sep 2006 22:56:37 +0000 (15:56 -0700)]
[NetLabel]: rework the Netlink attribute handling (part 2)

At the suggestion of Thomas Graf, rewrite NetLabel's use of Netlink attributes
to better follow the common Netlink attribute usage.

Signed-off-by: Paul Moore <paul.moore@hp.com>
Signed-off-by: David S. Miller <davem@davemloft.net>
15 years ago[NetLabel]: rework the Netlink attribute handling (part 1)
Paul Moore [Mon, 25 Sep 2006 22:56:09 +0000 (15:56 -0700)]
[NetLabel]: rework the Netlink attribute handling (part 1)

At the suggestion of Thomas Graf, rewrite NetLabel's use of Netlink attributes
to better follow the common Netlink attribute usage.

Signed-off-by: Paul Moore <paul.moore@hp.com>
Signed-off-by: David S. Miller <davem@davemloft.net>
15 years ago[Netlink]: add nla_validate_nested()
Paul Moore [Mon, 25 Sep 2006 22:54:03 +0000 (15:54 -0700)]
[Netlink]: add nla_validate_nested()

Add a new function, nla_validate_nested(), to validate nested Netlink
attributes.

Signed-off-by: Paul Moore <paul.moore@hp.com>
Signed-off-by: David S. Miller <davem@davemloft.net>
15 years ago[NETLINK]: add nla_for_each_nested() to the interface list
Paul Moore [Mon, 25 Sep 2006 22:53:37 +0000 (15:53 -0700)]
[NETLINK]: add nla_for_each_nested() to the interface list

At the top of include/net/netlink.h is a list of Netlink interfaces, however,
the nla_for_each_nested() macro was not listed.  This patch adds this interface
to the list at the top of the header file.

Signed-off-by: Paul Moore <paul.moore@hp.com>
Signed-off-by: David S. Miller <davem@davemloft.net>
15 years ago[NetLabel]: change the SELinux permissions
Paul Moore [Mon, 25 Sep 2006 22:53:13 +0000 (15:53 -0700)]
[NetLabel]: change the SELinux permissions

Change NetLabel to use the 'recvfrom' socket permission and the
SECINITSID_NETMSG SELinux SID as the NetLabel base SID for incoming packets.
This patch effectively makes the old, and currently unused, SELinux NETMSG
permissions NetLabel permissions.

Signed-of-by: Paul Moore <paul.moore@hp.com>
Signed-off-by: David S. Miller <davem@davemloft.net>
15 years ago[NetLabel]: make the CIPSOv4 cache spinlocks bottom half safe
Paul Moore [Mon, 25 Sep 2006 22:52:37 +0000 (15:52 -0700)]
[NetLabel]: make the CIPSOv4 cache spinlocks bottom half safe

The CIPSOv4 cache traversal routines are triggered both the userspace events
(cache invalidation due to DOI removal or updated SELinux policy) and network
packet processing events.  As a result there is a problem with the existing
CIPSOv4 cache spinlocks as they are not bottom-half/softirq safe.  This patch
converts the CIPSOv4 cache spin_[un]lock() calls into spin_[un]lock_bh() calls
to address this problem.

Signed-off-by: Paul Moore <paul.moore@hp.com>
Signed-off-by: David S. Miller <davem@davemloft.net>
15 years ago[NetLabel]: correct improper handling of non-NetLabel peer contexts
Paul Moore [Mon, 25 Sep 2006 22:52:01 +0000 (15:52 -0700)]
[NetLabel]: correct improper handling of non-NetLabel peer contexts

Fix a problem where NetLabel would always set the value of
sk_security_struct->peer_sid in selinux_netlbl_sock_graft() to the context of
the socket, causing problems when users would query the context of the
connection.  This patch fixes this so that the value in
sk_security_struct->peer_sid is only set when the connection is NetLabel based,
otherwise the value is untouched.

Signed-off-by: Paul Moore <paul.moore@hp.com>
Signed-off-by: David S. Miller <davem@davemloft.net>
15 years ago[libata] No need for all those arch libata-portmap.h headers
Jeff Garzik [Mon, 25 Sep 2006 19:33:09 +0000 (15:33 -0400)]
[libata] No need for all those arch libata-portmap.h headers

They all contain the same thing.  Instead, have a single generic one in
include/asm-generic, and permit an arch to override as needed.

Signed-off-by: Jeff Garzik <jeff@garzik.org>
15 years ago[TCP]: make cubic the default
Stephen Hemminger [Mon, 25 Sep 2006 03:13:03 +0000 (20:13 -0700)]
[TCP]: make cubic the default

Change default congestion control used from BIC to the newer CUBIC
which it the successor to BIC but has better properties over long delay links.

Signed-off-by: Stephen Hemminger <shemminger@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: David S. Miller <davem@davemloft.net>
15 years ago[TCP]: default congestion control menu
Stephen Hemminger [Mon, 25 Sep 2006 03:11:58 +0000 (20:11 -0700)]
[TCP]: default congestion control menu

Change how default TCP congestion control is chosen. Don't just use
last installed module, instead allow selection during configuration,
and make sure and use the default regardless of load order.

Signed-off-by: Stephen Hemminger <shemminger@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: David S. Miller <davem@davemloft.net>
15 years ago[ATM] he: Fix __init/__devinit conflict
Roland Dreier [Mon, 25 Sep 2006 03:09:33 +0000 (20:09 -0700)]
[ATM] he: Fix __init/__devinit conflict

he_init_one() is declared __devinit, but calls lots of init functions
that are marked __init.  However, if CONFIG_HOTPLUG is enabled,
__devinit functions go into normal .text, which leads to

    WARNING: drivers/atm/he.o - Section mismatch: reference to .init.text: from .text between 'he_start' (at offset 0x2130) and 'he_service_tbrq'

Fix this by changing the __init functions to __devinit.

Signed-off-by: Roland Dreier <roland@digitalvampire.org>
Signed-off-by: David S. Miller <davem@davemloft.net>
15 years ago[PATCH] pata_pdc2027x iomem annotations
Al Viro [Mon, 25 Sep 2006 01:57:57 +0000 (02:57 +0100)]
[PATCH] pata_pdc2027x iomem annotations

Signed-off-by: Al Viro <viro@zeniv.linux.org.uk>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>
15 years ago[PATCH] fix idiocy in asd_init_lseq_mdp()
Al Viro [Mon, 25 Sep 2006 01:57:22 +0000 (02:57 +0100)]
[PATCH] fix idiocy in asd_init_lseq_mdp()

To whoever had written that code:

 a) priority of >> is higher than that of &
 b) priority of typecast is higher than that of any binary operator
 c) learn the fscking C

Signed-off-by: Al Viro <viro@zeniv.linux.org.uk>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>
15 years ago[PATCH] SCSI gfp_t annotations
Al Viro [Mon, 25 Sep 2006 01:55:40 +0000 (02:55 +0100)]
[PATCH] SCSI gfp_t annotations

Signed-off-by: Al Viro <viro@zeniv.linux.org.uk>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>
15 years ago[PATCH] wrong thing iounmapped (qla3xxx)
Al Viro [Mon, 25 Sep 2006 01:54:46 +0000 (02:54 +0100)]
[PATCH] wrong thing iounmapped (qla3xxx)

ql3xxx_probe() does ioremap and stores result in ->mem_map_registers.
On failure exit it does iounmap() of the same thing.

OTOH, ql3xxx_remove() does iounmap() of ->mmap_virt_base which is
 (a) never assigned and
 (b) never used other than in that iounmap() call.

Signed-off-by: Al Viro <viro@zeniv.linux.org.uk>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>
15 years ago[PATCH] qla3xxx iomem annotations
Al Viro [Mon, 25 Sep 2006 01:53:53 +0000 (02:53 +0100)]
[PATCH] qla3xxx iomem annotations

the driver is still shite, though...

Signed-off-by: Al Viro <viro@zeniv.linux.org.uk>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>
15 years ago[PATCH] Revert ABI-breaking change in /proc
Matthew Wilcox [Mon, 25 Sep 2006 02:22:52 +0000 (20:22 -0600)]
[PATCH] Revert ABI-breaking change in /proc

Some user tools parse /proc/scsi/scsi, so we can't yet change the names.
Change the existing ones back to their old names, and add an admonition
to not make the same mistake that I did.

Andrew Morton reports that this was breaking YDL 4.1 userspace.

Signed-off-by: Matthew Wilcox <matthew@wil.cx>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>
15 years agoMerge master.kernel.org:/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/acme/net-2.6
David S. Miller [Mon, 25 Sep 2006 02:29:57 +0000 (19:29 -0700)]
Merge /pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/acme/net-2.6

15 years ago[NETFILTER]: Add dscp,DSCP headers to header-y
Yasuyuki Kozakai [Mon, 25 Sep 2006 02:28:47 +0000 (19:28 -0700)]
[NETFILTER]: Add dscp,DSCP headers to header-y

This patch adds xt_dscp.h and xt_DSCP.h to the kernel headers which are
exported via 'make headers_install'. These are necessary for userspace
to add rules using dscp match and DSCP target.

Signed-off-by: Yasuyuki Kozakai <yasuyuki.kozakai@toshiba.co.jp>
Signed-off-by: David S. Miller <davem@davemloft.net>
15 years agoMerge git://git.infradead.org/~dwmw2/khdrs-2.6
Linus Torvalds [Sun, 24 Sep 2006 22:55:22 +0000 (15:55 -0700)]
Merge git://git.infradead.org/~dwmw2/khdrs-2.6

* git://git.infradead.org/~dwmw2/khdrs-2.6:
  Don't remove $(INSTALL_HDR_PATH)/install before headers_install.

15 years ago[PATCH] missing include (free_irq() use)
Al Viro [Sun, 24 Sep 2006 22:45:29 +0000 (23:45 +0100)]
[PATCH] missing include (free_irq() use)

Signed-off-by: Al Viro <viro@zeniv.linux.org.uk>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>
15 years ago[PATCH] NULL noise removal
Al Viro [Sun, 24 Sep 2006 22:42:57 +0000 (23:42 +0100)]
[PATCH] NULL noise removal

Signed-off-by: Al Viro <viro@zeniv.linux.org.uk>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>
15 years ago[PATCH] fix iptables __user misannotations
Al Viro [Sun, 24 Sep 2006 22:42:20 +0000 (23:42 +0100)]
[PATCH] fix iptables __user misannotations

Signed-off-by: Al Viro <viro@zeniv.linux.org.uk>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>
15 years ago[PATCH] netlabel gfp annotations
Al Viro [Sun, 24 Sep 2006 22:41:42 +0000 (23:41 +0100)]
[PATCH] netlabel gfp annotations

Signed-off-by: Al Viro <viro@zeniv.linux.org.uk>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>
15 years ago[PATCH] libata won't build on SUN4
Al Viro [Sun, 24 Sep 2006 22:41:00 +0000 (23:41 +0100)]
[PATCH] libata won't build on SUN4

marked as such...

Signed-off-by: Al Viro <viro@zeniv.linux.org.uk>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>
15 years ago[PATCH] libata won't build on m68k and m32r
Al Viro [Sun, 24 Sep 2006 22:40:00 +0000 (23:40 +0100)]
[PATCH] libata won't build on m68k and m32r

no ioread*(), for one thing

Signed-off-by: Al Viro <viro@zeniv.linux.org.uk>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>
15 years ago[PATCH] restore libata build on frv
Al Viro [Sun, 24 Sep 2006 22:39:25 +0000 (23:39 +0100)]
[PATCH] restore libata build on frv

Signed-off-by: Al Viro <viro@zeniv.linux.org.uk>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>
15 years agoDon't remove $(INSTALL_HDR_PATH)/install before headers_install.
David Woodhouse [Sun, 24 Sep 2006 22:44:57 +0000 (23:44 +0100)]
Don't remove $(INSTALL_HDR_PATH)/install before headers_install.

Signed-off-by: David Woodhouse <dwmw2@infradead.org>
15 years agoMerge branch 'upstream-linus' of git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/mfashe...
Linus Torvalds [Sun, 24 Sep 2006 22:28:50 +0000 (15:28 -0700)]
Merge branch 'upstream-linus' of git://git./linux/kernel/git/mfasheh/ocfs2

* 'upstream-linus' of git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/mfasheh/ocfs2: (28 commits)
  ocfs2: Teach ocfs2_drop_lock() to use ->set_lvb() callback
  ocfs2: Remove ->unblock lockres operation
  ocfs2: move downconvert worker to lockres ops
  ocfs2: Remove unused dlmglue functions
  ocfs2: Have the metadata lock use generic dlmglue functions
  ocfs2: Add ->set_lvb callback in dlmglue
  ocfs2: Add ->check_downconvert callback in dlmglue
  ocfs2: Check for refreshing locks in generic unblock function
  ocfs2: don't unconditionally pass LVB flags
  ocfs2: combine inode and generic blocking AST functions
  ocfs2: Add ->get_osb() dlmglue locking operation
  ocfs2: remove ->unlock_ast() callback from ocfs2_lock_res_ops
  ocfs2: combine inode and generic AST functions
  ocfs2: Clean up lock resource refresh flags
  ocfs2: Remove i_generation from inode lock names
  ocfs2: Encode i_generation in the meta data lvb
  ocfs2: Free up some space in the lvb
  ocfs2: Remove special casing for inode creation in ocfs2_dentry_attach_lock()
  ocfs2: manually d_move() during ocfs2_rename()
  [PATCH] Allow file systems to manually d_move() inside of ->rename()
  ...

15 years agoMerge git://git.infradead.org/~dwmw2/khdrs-2.6
Linus Torvalds [Sun, 24 Sep 2006 21:55:52 +0000 (14:55 -0700)]
Merge git://git.infradead.org/~dwmw2/khdrs-2.6

* git://git.infradead.org/~dwmw2/khdrs-2.6:
  New 'make headers_install_all' target.
  Use dependencies for 'make headers_install'.
  [S390] Unexport <asm/z90crypt.h>, export <asm/zcrypt.h> in its place.
  Remove dead netfilter_logging.h from include/linux/Kbuild
  Remove offsetof() from user-visible <linux/stddef.h>
  Clean up exported headers on CRIS
  Fix v850 exported headers
  Don't advertise (or allow) headers_{install,check} where inappropriate.
  Remove UML header export
  Remove ARM26 header export.
  Fix H8300 exported headers.
  Fix m68knommu exported headers
  Fix exported headers for SPARC, SPARC64
  Fix 'make headers_check' on m32r
  Fix 'make headers_check' on sh64
  Fix 'make headers_check' on sh
  [HEADERS] Fix ARM 'make headers_check'

Initial pass of manual conflict resolution in top-level Makefile over
conflicting build rule and headers_install changes.

15 years agoMerge git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/sam/kbuild
Linus Torvalds [Sun, 24 Sep 2006 21:24:14 +0000 (14:24 -0700)]
Merge git://git./linux/kernel/git/sam/kbuild

* git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/sam/kbuild: (28 commits)
  kbuild: add distclean info to 'make help' and more details for 'clean'
  dontdiff: add utsrelease.h
  kbuild: fix "mkdir -p" usage in scripts/package/mkspec
  kbuild: correct and clarify versioning info in Makefile
  kbuild: fixup Documentation/kbuild/modules.txt
  kbuild: Extend kbuild/defconfig tags support to exuberant ctags
  kbuild: fix for some typos in Documentation/makefiles.txt
  kbuild: clarify "make C=" build option
  Documentaion: update Documentation/Changes with minimum versions
  kbuild: update help in top level Makefile
  kbuild: fail kernel compilation in case of unresolved module symbols
  kbuild: remove debug left-over from Makefile.host
  kbuild: create output directory for hostprogs with O=.. build
  kbuild: add missing return statement in modpost.c:secref_whitelist()
  kbuild: preperly align SYSMAP output
  kbuild: make -rR is now default
  kbuild: make V=2 tell why a target is rebuild
  kbuild: modpost on vmlinux regardless of CONFIG_MODULES
  kbuild: ignore references from ".pci_fixup" to ".init.text"
  kbuild: linguistic fixes for Documentation/kbuild/makefiles.txt
  ...

15 years agokbuild: add distclean info to 'make help' and more details for 'clean'
Jesper Juhl [Sun, 24 Sep 2006 12:01:08 +0000 (14:01 +0200)]
kbuild: add distclean info to 'make help' and more details for 'clean'

Add distclean info, that was previously missing, to 'make help'.
Also add a few more details to the 'make clean' help text.

Signed-off-by: Jesper Juhl <jesper.juhl@gmail.com>
Signed-off-by: Sam Ravnborg <sam@ravnborg.org>
15 years agodontdiff: add utsrelease.h
Randy Dunlap [Fri, 22 Sep 2006 19:37:56 +0000 (12:37 -0700)]
dontdiff: add utsrelease.h

Add auto-generated utsrelease.h to dontdiff file.

Signed-off-by: Randy Dunlap <rdunlap@xenotime.net>
Signed-off-by: Sam Ravnborg <sam@ravnborg.org>
15 years agokbuild: fix "mkdir -p" usage in scripts/package/mkspec
Rolf Eike Beer [Mon, 14 Aug 2006 06:16:47 +0000 (08:16 +0200)]
kbuild: fix "mkdir -p" usage in scripts/package/mkspec

"mkdir -p" does not only mean not to complain if the directory already
exists, but also to create the parent directories if needed. This patch
removes "lib" from the list of directories to create as we will also create
"lib/modules".

Signed-off-by: Rolf Eike Beer <eike-kernel@sf-tec.de>
Signed-off-by: Sam Ravnborg <sam@ravnborg.org>
15 years agokbuild: correct and clarify versioning info in Makefile
Robert P. J. Day [Tue, 12 Sep 2006 16:38:19 +0000 (12:38 -0400)]
kbuild: correct and clarify versioning info in Makefile

The attached patch clarifies the creation of KERNELRELEASE and
corrects an error regarding the use of $(LOCALVERSION).

Signed-off-by: Sam Ravnborg <sam@ravnborg.org>
15 years agokbuild: fixup Documentation/kbuild/modules.txt
Robert P. J. Day [Thu, 21 Sep 2006 13:39:41 +0000 (09:39 -0400)]
kbuild: fixup Documentation/kbuild/modules.txt

Signed-off-by: Sam Ravnborg <sam@ravnborg.org>
15 years agokbuild: Extend kbuild/defconfig tags support to exuberant ctags
Aron Griffis [Thu, 21 Sep 2006 04:27:02 +0000 (00:27 -0400)]
kbuild: Extend kbuild/defconfig tags support to exuberant ctags

The following patch extends kbuild/defconfig tags support to exuberant
ctags.  The previous support is only for emacs ctags/etags programs.

This patch also corrects the kconfig regex for the emacs invocation.
Previously it would miss some instances because it assumed /^config
instead of /^[ \t]*config

Signed-off-by: Aron Griffis <aron@hp.com>
Signed-off-by: Sam Ravnborg <sam@ravnborg.org>
15 years agokbuild: fix for some typos in Documentation/makefiles.txt
Bryce Harrington [Wed, 20 Sep 2006 19:43:37 +0000 (12:43 -0700)]
kbuild: fix for some typos in Documentation/makefiles.txt

I noticed a few typos while reading makefiles.txt to learn about the
kbuild system.  Attached is a patch against 2.6.18 to fix them.
Remove trailing whitespace while we are there..

Signed-off-by: Bryce Harrington <bryce@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Sam Ravnborg <sam@ravnborg.org>
15 years agokbuild: clarify "make C=" build option
Robert P. J. Day [Wed, 13 Sep 2006 11:57:50 +0000 (07:57 -0400)]
kbuild: clarify "make C=" build option

Clarify the use of "make C=" in the top-level Makefile, and fix a
typo in the Documentation file.

Signed-off-by: Sam Ravnborg <sam@ravnborg.org>
15 years agoDocumentaion: update Documentation/Changes with minimum versions
Robert P. J. Day [Mon, 11 Sep 2006 16:39:19 +0000 (12:39 -0400)]
Documentaion: update Documentation/Changes with minimum versions

Based on conversations with greg kh (and noticing a simple typo),
these are the actual minimal versions for 2.6.18.

Signed-off-by: Sam Ravnborg <sam@ravnborg.org>
15 years agokbuild: update help in top level Makefile
Robert P. J. Day [Mon, 11 Sep 2006 16:09:42 +0000 (12:09 -0400)]
kbuild: update help in top level Makefile

Signed-off-by: Sam Ravnborg <sam@ravnborg.org>
15 years agokbuild: fail kernel compilation in case of unresolved module symbols
Kirill Korotaev [Thu, 7 Sep 2006 20:08:54 +0000 (13:08 -0700)]
kbuild: fail kernel compilation in case of unresolved module symbols

At stage 2 modpost utility is used to check modules.  In case of unresolved
symbols modpost only prints warning.

IMHO it is a good idea to fail compilation process in case of unresolved
symbols (at least in modules coming with kernel), since usually such errors
are left unnoticed, but kernel modules are broken.

- new option '-w' is added to modpost:
  if option is specified, modpost only warns about unresolved symbols

- modpost is called with '-w' for external modules in Makefile.modpost

Signed-off-by: Andrey Mirkin <amirkin@sw.ru>
Signed-off-by: Kirill Korotaev <dev@openvz.org>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Sam Ravnborg <sam@ravnborg.org>
15 years agokbuild: remove debug left-over from Makefile.host
Sam Ravnborg [Tue, 8 Aug 2006 14:45:41 +0000 (16:45 +0200)]
kbuild: remove debug left-over from Makefile.host

Signed-off-by: Sam Ravnborg <sam@ravnborg.org>
15 years agokbuild: create output directory for hostprogs with O=.. build
Sam Ravnborg [Mon, 7 Aug 2006 19:55:33 +0000 (21:55 +0200)]
kbuild: create output directory for hostprogs with O=.. build

hostprogs-y only supported creating output directory for the final
program. Extend this to also cover the situation where a .o
file (used when host program is made from compositie objects) is
locate in another directory.
First user of this is the built-in lxdialog that.

Signed-off-by: Sam Ravnborg <sam@ravnborg.org>
15 years agokbuild: add missing return statement in modpost.c:secref_whitelist()
Sam Ravnborg [Wed, 9 Aug 2006 06:23:55 +0000 (08:23 +0200)]
kbuild: add missing return statement in modpost.c:secref_whitelist()

Noticed by: Magnus Damm <magnus@valinux.co.jp>

Signed-off-by: Sam Ravnborg <sam@ravnborg.org>
15 years agokbuild: preperly align SYSMAP output
Sam Ravnborg [Tue, 8 Aug 2006 19:41:18 +0000 (21:41 +0200)]
kbuild: preperly align SYSMAP output

Align filenames for SYSMAP with other filenames

Signed-off-by: Sam Ravnborg <sam@ravnborg.org>
15 years agokbuild: make -rR is now default
Sam Ravnborg [Tue, 8 Aug 2006 19:36:08 +0000 (21:36 +0200)]
kbuild: make -rR is now default

Do not specify -rR anymore - it is default.

Signed-off-by: Sam Ravnborg <sam@ravnborg.org>
15 years agokbuild: make V=2 tell why a target is rebuild
Sam Ravnborg [Tue, 8 Aug 2006 19:35:14 +0000 (21:35 +0200)]
kbuild: make V=2 tell why a target is rebuild

tell why a a target got build
   enabled by make V=2
      Output (listed in the order they are checked):
         (1) - due to target is PHONY
         (2) - due to target missing
         (3) - due to: file1.h file2.h
         (4) - due to command line change
         (5) - due to missing .cmd file
         (6) - due to target not in $(targets)
(1) We always build PHONY targets
(2) No target, so we better build it
(3) Prerequisite is newer than target
(4) The command line stored in the file named dir/.target.cmd
    differed from actual command line. This happens when compiler
    options changes
(5) No dir/.target.cmd file (used to store command line)
(6) No dir/.target.cmd file and target not listed in $(targets)
    This is a good hint that there is a bug in the kbuild file

This patch is inspired by a patch from: Milton Miller <miltonm@bga.com>

Cc: Milton Miller <miltonm@bga.com>
Signed-off-by: Sam Ravnborg <sam@ravnborg.org>
15 years agokbuild: modpost on vmlinux regardless of CONFIG_MODULES
Sam Ravnborg [Tue, 8 Aug 2006 18:43:39 +0000 (20:43 +0200)]
kbuild: modpost on vmlinux regardless of CONFIG_MODULES

Based on patch from: Magnus Damm <magnus@valinux.co.jp>
This has the advantage that all section mismatch checks are run regardless
of modules being enabled or not.

When running modpost on vmlinux output:
MODPOST vmlinux

When running modpost on modules output count of modules like this:
MODPOST 5 modules

Signed-off-by: Sam Ravnborg <sam@ravnborg.org>
15 years agokbuild: ignore references from ".pci_fixup" to ".init.text"
Magnus Damm [Tue, 8 Aug 2006 08:32:11 +0000 (17:32 +0900)]
kbuild: ignore references from ".pci_fixup" to ".init.text"

The modpost code is extended to ignore references
from ".pci_fixup" to ".init.text".

Signed-off-by: Magnus Damm <magnus@valinux.co.jp>