linux-2.6.git
16 years agoMerge master.kernel.org:/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/gregkh/i2c-2.6
Linus Torvalds [Wed, 9 Nov 2005 22:13:53 +0000 (14:13 -0800)]
Merge /pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/gregkh/i2c-2.6

16 years agoMerge branch 'for-linus' of git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/shaggy...
Linus Torvalds [Wed, 9 Nov 2005 21:47:34 +0000 (13:47 -0800)]
Merge branch 'for-linus' of git://git./linux/kernel/git/shaggy/jfs-2.6

16 years agoMerge master.kernel.org:/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/davem/net-2.6
Linus Torvalds [Wed, 9 Nov 2005 21:40:21 +0000 (13:40 -0800)]
Merge /pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/davem/net-2.6

16 years ago[IPV6]: ip6ip6_lock is not unlocked in error path.
Ken-ichirou MATSUZAWA [Wed, 9 Nov 2005 21:08:29 +0000 (13:08 -0800)]
[IPV6]: ip6ip6_lock is not unlocked in error path.

From: Ken-ichirou MATSUZAWA <chamas@h4.dion.ne.jp>

Signed-off-by: David S. Miller <davem@davemloft.net>
16 years ago[IPV6]: Fix fallout from CONFIG_IPV6_PRIVACY
Peter Chubb [Wed, 9 Nov 2005 21:05:47 +0000 (13:05 -0800)]
[IPV6]: Fix fallout from CONFIG_IPV6_PRIVACY

Trying to build today's 2.6.14+git snapshot gives undefined references
to use_tempaddr

Looks like an ifdef got left out.

Signed-off-by: Peter Chubb <peterc@gelato.unsw.edu.au>
Signed-off-by: David S. Miller <davem@davemloft.net>
16 years ago[NETFILTER] ctnetlink: ICMP_ID is u_int16_t not u_int8_t.
Krzysztof Piotr Oledzki [Wed, 9 Nov 2005 21:04:32 +0000 (13:04 -0800)]
[NETFILTER] ctnetlink: ICMP_ID is u_int16_t not u_int8_t.

Signed-off-by: Krzysztof Piotr Oledzki <ole@ans.pl>
Signed-off-by: Pablo Neira Ayuso <pablo@netfilter.org>
Signed-off-by: Harald Welte <laforge@netfilter.org>
Signed-off-by: David S. Miller <davem@davemloft.net>
16 years ago[NETFILTER] ctnetlink: Fix oops when no ICMP ID info in message
Krzysztof Piotr Oledzki [Wed, 9 Nov 2005 21:04:08 +0000 (13:04 -0800)]
[NETFILTER] ctnetlink: Fix oops when no ICMP ID info in message

This patch fixes an userspace triggered oops. If there is no ICMP_ID
info the reference to attr will be NULL.

Signed-off-by: Krzysztof Piotr Oledzki <ole@ans.pl>
Signed-off-by: Pablo Neira Ayuso <pablo@netfilter.org>
Signed-off-by: Harald Welte <laforge@netfilter.org>
Signed-off-by: David S. Miller <davem@davemloft.net>
16 years ago[NETFILTER] ctnetlink: Add support to identify expectations by ID's
Pablo Neira Ayuso [Wed, 9 Nov 2005 21:03:42 +0000 (13:03 -0800)]
[NETFILTER] ctnetlink: Add support to identify expectations by ID's

Signed-off-by: Pablo Neira Ayuso <pablo@netfilter.org>
Signed-off-by: Harald Welte <laforge@netfilter.org>
Signed-off-by: David S. Miller <davem@davemloft.net>
16 years ago[NETFILTER] ctnetlink: propagate error instaed of returning -EPERM
Pablo Neira Ayuso [Wed, 9 Nov 2005 21:03:26 +0000 (13:03 -0800)]
[NETFILTER] ctnetlink: propagate error instaed of returning -EPERM

Propagate the error to userspace instead of returning -EPERM if the get
conntrack operation fails.

Signed-off-by: Pablo Neira Ayuso <pablo@netfilter.org>
Signed-off-by: Harald Welte <laforge@netfilter.org>
Signed-off-by: David S. Miller <davem@davemloft.net>
16 years ago[NETFILTER] ctnetlink: return -EINVAL if size is wrong
Pablo Neira Ayuso [Wed, 9 Nov 2005 21:03:09 +0000 (13:03 -0800)]
[NETFILTER] ctnetlink: return -EINVAL if size is wrong

Return -EINVAL if the size isn't OK instead of -EPERM.

Signed-off-by: Pablo Neira Ayuso <pablo@netfilter.org>
Signed-off-by: Harald Welte <laforge@netfilter.org>
Signed-off-by: David S. Miller <davem@davemloft.net>
16 years ago[NETFILTER]: stop tracking ICMP error at early point
Yasuyuki Kozakai [Wed, 9 Nov 2005 21:02:45 +0000 (13:02 -0800)]
[NETFILTER]: stop tracking ICMP error at early point

Currently connection tracking handles ICMP error like normal packets
if it failed to get related connection. But it fails that after all.

This makes connection tracking stop tracking ICMP error at early point.

Signed-off-by: Yasuyuki Kozakai <yasuyuki.kozakai@toshiba.co.jp>
Signed-off-by: Harald Welte <laforge@netfilter.org>
Signed-off-by: David S. Miller <davem@davemloft.net>
16 years ago[NETFILTER] nfnetlink: only load subsystems if CAP_NET_ADMIN is set
Harald Welte [Wed, 9 Nov 2005 21:02:16 +0000 (13:02 -0800)]
[NETFILTER] nfnetlink: only load subsystems if CAP_NET_ADMIN is set

Without this patch, any user can cause nfnetlink subsystems to be
autoloaded.  Those subsystems however could add significant processing
overhead to packet processing, and would refuse any configuration messages
from non-CAP_NET_ADMIN processes anyway.

This patch follows a suggestion from Patrick McHardy.

Signed-off-by: Harald Welte <laforge@netfilter.org>
Signed-off-by: David S. Miller <davem@davemloft.net>
16 years ago[NETFILTER] PPTP helper: fix PNS-PAC expectation call id
Philip Craig [Wed, 9 Nov 2005 21:01:53 +0000 (13:01 -0800)]
[NETFILTER] PPTP helper: fix PNS-PAC expectation call id

The reply tuple of the PNS->PAC expectation was using the wrong call id.

So we had the following situation:
- PNS behind NAT firewall
- PNS call id requires NATing
- PNS->PAC gre packet arrives first

then the PNS->PAC expectation is matched, and the other expectation
is deleted, but the PAC->PNS gre packets do not match the gre conntrack
because the call id is wrong.

We also cannot use ip_nat_follow_master().

Signed-off-by: Philip Craig <philipc@snapgear.com>
Signed-off-by: Harald Welte <laforge@netfilter.org>
Signed-off-by: David S. Miller <davem@davemloft.net>
16 years ago[NETFILTER] ctnetlink: get_conntrack can use GFP_KERNEL
Pablo Neira Ayuso [Wed, 9 Nov 2005 21:01:19 +0000 (13:01 -0800)]
[NETFILTER] ctnetlink: get_conntrack can use GFP_KERNEL

ctnetlink_get_conntrack is always called from user context, so GFP_KERNEL
is enough.

Signed-off-by: Pablo Neira Ayuso <pablo@netfilter.org>
Signed-off-by: Harald Welte <laforge@netfilter.org>
Signed-off-by: David S. Miller <davem@davemloft.net>
16 years ago[NETFILTER] ctnetlink: kill unused includes
Pablo Neira Ayuso [Wed, 9 Nov 2005 21:00:47 +0000 (13:00 -0800)]
[NETFILTER] ctnetlink: kill unused includes

Kill some useless headers included in ctnetlink. They aren't used in any
way.

Signed-off-by: Pablo Neira Ayuso <pablo@netfilter.org>
Signed-off-by: Harald Welte <laforge@netfilter.org>
Signed-off-by: David S. Miller <davem@davemloft.net>
16 years ago[NETFILTER] ctnetlink: add module alias to fix autoloading
Pablo Neira Ayuso [Wed, 9 Nov 2005 21:00:29 +0000 (13:00 -0800)]
[NETFILTER] ctnetlink: add module alias to fix autoloading

Add missing module alias. This is a must to load ctnetlink on demand. For
example, the conntrack tool will fail if the module isn't loaded.

Signed-off-by: Pablo Neira Ayuso <pablo@netfilter.org>
Signed-off-by: Harald Welte <laforge@netfilter.org>
Signed-off-by: David S. Miller <davem@davemloft.net>
16 years ago[NETFILTER] ctnetlink: add marking support from userspace
Pablo Neira Ayuso [Wed, 9 Nov 2005 21:00:04 +0000 (13:00 -0800)]
[NETFILTER] ctnetlink: add marking support from userspace

This patch adds support for conntrack marking from user space.

Signed-off-by: Pablo Neira Ayuso <pablo@netfilter.org>
Signed-off-by: Harald Welte <laforge@netfilter.org>
Signed-off-by: David S. Miller <davem@davemloft.net>
16 years ago[NETFILTER] ctnetlink: check if protoinfo is present
Pablo Neira Ayuso [Wed, 9 Nov 2005 20:59:41 +0000 (12:59 -0800)]
[NETFILTER] ctnetlink: check if protoinfo is present

This fixes an oops triggered from userspace. If we don't pass information
about the private protocol info, the reference to attr will be NULL. This is
likely to happen in update messages.

Signed-off-by: Pablo Neira Ayuso <pablo@netfilter.org>
Signed-off-by: Harald Welte <laforge@netfilter.org>
Signed-off-by: David S. Miller <davem@davemloft.net>
16 years ago[NETFILTER] nfnetlink: nfattr_parse() can never fail, make it void
Harald Welte [Wed, 9 Nov 2005 20:59:13 +0000 (12:59 -0800)]
[NETFILTER] nfnetlink: nfattr_parse() can never fail, make it void

nfattr_parse (and thus nfattr_parse_nested) always returns success. So we
can make them 'void' and remove all the checking at the caller side.

Based on original patch by Pablo Neira Ayuso <pablo@netfilter.org>

Signed-off-by: Harald Welte <laforge@netfilter.org>
Signed-off-by: David S. Miller <davem@davemloft.net>
16 years ago[NETFILTER]: refcount leak of proto when ctnetlink dumping tuple
Yasuyuki Kozakai [Wed, 9 Nov 2005 20:58:46 +0000 (12:58 -0800)]
[NETFILTER]: refcount leak of proto when ctnetlink dumping tuple

Signed-off-by: Yasuyuki Kozakai <yasuyuki.kozakai@toshiba.co.jp>
Signed-off-by: Harald Welte <laforge@netfilter.org>
Signed-off-by: David S. Miller <davem@davemloft.net>
16 years ago[NETFILTER]: packet counter of conntrack is 32bits
Yasuyuki Kozakai [Wed, 9 Nov 2005 20:58:05 +0000 (12:58 -0800)]
[NETFILTER]: packet counter of conntrack is 32bits

The packet counter variable of conntrack was changed to 32bits from 64bits.
This follows that change.

Signed-off-by: Yasuyuki Kozakai <yasuyuki.kozakai@toshiba.co.jp>
Signed-off-by: Harald Welte <laforge@netfilter.org>
Signed-off-by: David S. Miller <davem@davemloft.net>
16 years ago[SPARC] sbus rtc: implement ->compat_ioctl
Christoph Hellwig [Wed, 9 Nov 2005 20:07:18 +0000 (12:07 -0800)]
[SPARC] sbus rtc: implement ->compat_ioctl

Signed-off-by: Christoph Hellwig <hch@lst.de>
Signed-off-by: David S. Miller <davem@davemloft.net>
16 years ago[SPARC]: Fix locking thinkos in display7seg and cpwatchdog drivers.
David S. Miller [Wed, 9 Nov 2005 20:05:37 +0000 (12:05 -0800)]
[SPARC]: Fix locking thinkos in display7seg and cpwatchdog drivers.

Noticed by Eric Brower.

Signed-off-by: David S. Miller <davem@davemloft.net>
16 years ago[SPARC64]: Use ARRAY_SIZE macro
Tobias Klauser [Wed, 9 Nov 2005 20:03:42 +0000 (12:03 -0800)]
[SPARC64]: Use ARRAY_SIZE macro

Use ARRAY_SIZE macro instead of sizeof(x)/sizeof(x[0]) and remove a
duplicate of ARRAY_SIZE which is never used anyways.

Signed-off-by: Tobias Klauser <tklauser@nuerscht.ch>
Signed-off-by: David S. Miller <davem@davemloft.net>
16 years ago[SPARC]: Use ARRAY_SIZE macro
Tobias Klauser [Wed, 9 Nov 2005 20:03:05 +0000 (12:03 -0800)]
[SPARC]: Use ARRAY_SIZE macro

Use ARRAY_SIZE macro instead of sizeof(x)/sizeof(x[0]) and remove a
duplicate of ARRAY_SIZE which is never used anyways.

Signed-off-by: Tobias Klauser <tklauser@nuerscht.ch>
Signed-off-by: David S. Miller <davem@davemloft.net>
16 years agoMerge master.kernel.org:/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/davej/agpgart
Linus Torvalds [Wed, 9 Nov 2005 19:45:00 +0000 (11:45 -0800)]
Merge /pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/davej/agpgart

16 years agoFix ptrace self-attach rule
Linus Torvalds [Wed, 9 Nov 2005 19:33:07 +0000 (11:33 -0800)]
Fix ptrace self-attach rule

Before we did CLONE_THREAD, the way to check whether we were attaching
to ourselves was to just check "current == task", but with CLONE_THREAD
we should check that the thread group ID matches instead.

Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>
16 years agoMerge master.kernel.org:/home/rmk/linux-2.6-arm
Linus Torvalds [Wed, 9 Nov 2005 16:55:53 +0000 (08:55 -0800)]
Merge master.kernel.org:/home/rmk/linux-2.6-arm

16 years agoMerge branch 'upstream-linus' of master.kernel.org:/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/jgarzik...
Linus Torvalds [Wed, 9 Nov 2005 16:35:50 +0000 (08:35 -0800)]
Merge branch 'upstream-linus' of /linux/kernel/git/jgarzik/libata-dev

16 years agoMerge branch 'upstream-linus' of master.kernel.org:/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/jgarzik...
Linus Torvalds [Wed, 9 Nov 2005 16:34:36 +0000 (08:34 -0800)]
Merge branch 'upstream-linus' of /linux/kernel/git/jgarzik/netdev-2.6

16 years agoMerge branch 'release' of git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/aegl/linux-2.6
Linus Torvalds [Wed, 9 Nov 2005 16:33:27 +0000 (08:33 -0800)]
Merge branch 'release' of git://git./linux/kernel/git/aegl/linux-2.6

16 years ago[PATCH] fs/hugetlbfs/inode.c: make a function static
Adrian Bunk [Wed, 9 Nov 2005 05:39:48 +0000 (21:39 -0800)]
[PATCH] fs/hugetlbfs/inode.c: make a function static

This patch makes a needlessly global function static.

Signed-off-by: Adrian Bunk <bunk@stusta.de>
Acked-by: William Irwin <wli@holomorphy.com>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>
16 years ago[PATCH] drivers/message/fusion/mptbase.c: make code static
Adrian Bunk [Wed, 9 Nov 2005 05:39:48 +0000 (21:39 -0800)]
[PATCH] drivers/message/fusion/mptbase.c: make code static

This patch makes the following previously global and EXPORT_SYMBOL'ed
code static:
- struct mpt_proc_root_dir
- int mpt_stm_index

Signed-off-by: Adrian Bunk <bunk@stusta.de>
Cc: James Bottomley <James.Bottomley@steeleye.com>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>
16 years ago[PATCH] drivers/char/sysrq.c: make two functions static
Adrian Bunk [Wed, 9 Nov 2005 05:39:47 +0000 (21:39 -0800)]
[PATCH] drivers/char/sysrq.c: make two functions static

This patch makes two needlessly global functions static.

Signed-off-by: Adrian Bunk <bunk@stusta.de>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>
16 years ago[PATCH] fs/namei.c: make path_lookup_create() static
Adrian Bunk [Wed, 9 Nov 2005 05:39:46 +0000 (21:39 -0800)]
[PATCH] fs/namei.c: make path_lookup_create() static

This patch makes the needlessly global function path_lookup_create()
static.

Signed-off-by: Adrian Bunk <bunk@stusta.de>
Acked-by: Trond Myklebust <trond.myklebust@fys.uio.no>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>
16 years ago[PATCH] md: document sysfs usage of md, and make a couple of small refinements
NeilBrown [Wed, 9 Nov 2005 05:39:45 +0000 (21:39 -0800)]
[PATCH] md: document sysfs usage of md, and make a couple of small refinements

Document in Documentation/md.txt the files that now appear in sysfs, and make
a couple of small refinements to exactly when 'level' and 'raid_disks' are
empty, to make it match the documentation.

Signed-off-by: Neil Brown <neilb@suse.de>
Acked-by: Greg Kroah-Hartman <gregkh@suse.de>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>
16 years ago[PATCH] md: improve 'scan_mode' and rename it to 'sync_action'
NeilBrown [Wed, 9 Nov 2005 05:39:44 +0000 (21:39 -0800)]
[PATCH] md: improve 'scan_mode' and rename it to 'sync_action'

The current sync_action for an array can be one of

   idle  - nothing happening
   resync - reduncancy being recalcualted
   recover - missing device being recoverred to spare
   check   - user initiated check of redundancy
   repair  - like resync but user-initiated and ignores
             bitmap optimisation.

Each of these strings can also be written to the 'sync_action' file to cause
that action to happen (if appropriate).

While 'sync' is not technically correct, as a recovery is *not* a 'sync', I
think it is the most servicable word here.  Also 'action' is a strong word
than 'mode'.

Signed-off-by: Neil Brown <neilb@suse.de>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>
16 years ago[PATCH] md: complete conversion of md to use kthreads
NeilBrown [Wed, 9 Nov 2005 05:39:43 +0000 (21:39 -0800)]
[PATCH] md: complete conversion of md to use kthreads

There are a few loose ends following the conversion of md to use kthreads:

- Some fields in mdk_thread_t that aren't needed (kthreads does it's own
  completion and manages it's own name).

- thread->run is now never NULL, so no need to check

- Some tests for signal_pending that aren't needed (As we don't use signals
  to stop threads any more)

- Some flush_signals are not needed

- Some waits are interruptible and don't need to be.

Signed-off-by: Neil Brown <neilb@suse.de>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>
16 years ago[PATCH] md: ignore auto-readonly flag for arrays where it isn't meaningful
NeilBrown [Wed, 9 Nov 2005 05:39:42 +0000 (21:39 -0800)]
[PATCH] md: ignore auto-readonly flag for arrays where it isn't meaningful

The 'auto-readonly' flag (which suppresses resync and superblock updates until
the first write) is not meaningful for personalities that don't support resync
or superblock writes (raid0, linear, etc).

So clear the setting early to avoid it confusing anything - e.g.  appearing in
/proc/mdstat

Signed-off-by: Neil Brown <neilb@suse.de>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>
16 years ago[PATCH] md: only try to print recovery/resync status for personalities that support...
NeilBrown [Wed, 9 Nov 2005 05:39:41 +0000 (21:39 -0800)]
[PATCH] md: only try to print recovery/resync status for personalities that support recovery

The introduction of 'resync=PENDING' (for read-only devices) caused that
message to appear for non-syncable arrays like raid0 and linear.  Simplest
thing is to not try to print any resync info unless the personality clearly
supports it.

Signed-off-by: Neil Brown <neilb@suse.de>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>
16 years ago[PATCH] md: split off some md attributes in sysfs to a separate group
NeilBrown [Wed, 9 Nov 2005 05:39:40 +0000 (21:39 -0800)]
[PATCH] md: split off some md attributes in sysfs to a separate group

Some, but not all, md array support data redundancy and hence support checking
and restoring that redundancy (resync, rebuild).

Some attributes apply specifically to functions involving this redundancy, and
so should only appear for md arrays for which they are meaningful.  i.e.  they
should not appear for raid0, linear, multpath, faulty.

This patch separates these into a distinct group and creates the group only if
the personality supports sync_request.

Signed-off-by: Neil Brown <neilb@suse.de>
Acked-by: Greg Kroah-Hartman <gregkh@suse.de>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>
16 years ago[PATCH] md: fix some locking and module refcounting issues with md's use of sysfs
NeilBrown [Wed, 9 Nov 2005 05:39:39 +0000 (21:39 -0800)]
[PATCH] md: fix some locking and module refcounting issues with md's use of sysfs

1/ I really should be using the __ATTR macros for defining attributes, so
   that the .owner field get set properly, otherwise modules can be removed
   while sysfs files are open.  This also involves some name changes of _show
   routines.

2/ Always lock the mddev (against reconfiguration) for all sysfs attribute
   access.  This easily avoid certain races and is completely consistant with
   other interfaces (ioctl and /proc/mdstat both always lock against
   reconfiguration).

3/ raid5 attributes must check that the 'conf' structure actually exists
   (the array could have been stopped while an attribute file was open).

4/ A missing 'kfree' from when the raid5_conf_t was converted to have a
   kobject embedded, and then converted back again.

Signed-off-by: Neil Brown <neilb@suse.de>
Acked-by: Greg Kroah-Hartman <gregkh@suse.de>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>
16 years ago[PATCH] md: make sure a user-request sync of raid5 ignores intent bitmap
NeilBrown [Wed, 9 Nov 2005 05:39:38 +0000 (21:39 -0800)]
[PATCH] md: make sure a user-request sync of raid5 ignores intent bitmap

A sync of raid5 usually ignore blocks which the bitmap says are in-sync.  But
a user-request check or repair should not ignore these.

Signed-off-by: Neil Brown <neilb@suse.de>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>
16 years ago[PATCH] md: make manual repair work for raid1
NeilBrown [Wed, 9 Nov 2005 05:39:38 +0000 (21:39 -0800)]
[PATCH] md: make manual repair work for raid1

Raid1 currently optimises resync using the intent bitmap etc.  This
optimisation is not wanted when we explicitly request a repair through sysfs,
so add appropriate checks.

Signed-off-by: Neil Brown <neilb@suse.de>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>
16 years ago[PATCH] md: make sure /block link in /sys/.../md/ goes to correct devices
NeilBrown [Wed, 9 Nov 2005 05:39:37 +0000 (21:39 -0800)]
[PATCH] md: make sure /block link in /sys/.../md/ goes to correct devices

If a block_device is a partition, then it's kobject is
  bdev->bd_part->kobj
otherwise (if it is a full device), the kobject is
  bdev->bd_disk->kobj

As md wants back-links to the correct object (whether partition or not), we
need to respect this difference...  (Thus current code shows a link to the
whole device, whether we are using a partition or not, which is wrong).

Signed-off-by: Neil Brown <neilb@suse.de>
Acked-by: Greg Kroah-Hartman <gregkh@suse.de>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>
16 years ago[PATCH] md: allow md arrays to be started read-only (module parameter).
NeilBrown [Wed, 9 Nov 2005 05:39:36 +0000 (21:39 -0800)]
[PATCH] md: allow md arrays to be started read-only (module parameter).

When an md array is started, the superblock will be written, and resync may
commense.  This is not good if you want to be completely read-only as, for
example, when preparing to resume from a suspend-to-disk image.

So introduce a module parameter "start_ro" which can be set
to '1' at boot, at module load, or via
  /sys/module/md_mod/parameters/start_ro

When this is set, new arrays get an 'auto-ro' mode, which disables all
internal io (superblock updates, resync, recovery) and is automatically
switched to 'rw' when the first write request arrives.

The array can be set to true 'ro' mode using 'mdadm -r' before the first
write request, or resync can be started without a write using 'mdadm -w'.

Signed-off-by: Neil Brown <neilb@suse.de>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>
16 years ago[PATCH] md: Remove attempt to use dynamic names in sysfs for component devices on...
NeilBrown [Wed, 9 Nov 2005 05:39:35 +0000 (21:39 -0800)]
[PATCH] md: Remove attempt to use dynamic names in sysfs for component devices on an MD array.

With version-0.90 superblock, component devices on an md device to not have
any stable name related to the array -(version-1 assigns a fixed index when
a device is added to an array, and this remains despit any hot-swap).

The intial code for making these devices appear in sysfs used dynamic
names, which would change whenever a hot-spare was swapped for a failed or
missing device.  This turns out not to be practical in sysfs for a number
of reasons.

This patch changes then naming of component devices to be based on the
result of 'bdevname'.  This is stable and should be unique.

Signed-off-by: Neil Brown <neilb@suse.de>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>
16 years ago[PATCH] md: support BIO_RW_BARRIER for md/raid1
NeilBrown [Wed, 9 Nov 2005 05:39:34 +0000 (21:39 -0800)]
[PATCH] md: support BIO_RW_BARRIER for md/raid1

We can only accept BARRIER requests if all slaves handle
barriers, and that can, of course, change with time....

So we keep track of whether the whole array seems safe for barriers,
and also whether each individual rdev handles barriers.

We initially assumes barriers are OK.

When writing the superblock we try a barrier, and if that fails, we flag
things for no-barriers.  This will usually clear the flags fairly quickly.

If writing the superblock finds that BIO_RW_BARRIER is -ENOTSUPP, we need to
resubmit, so introduce function "md_super_wait" which waits for requests to
finish, and retries ENOTSUPP requests without the barrier flag.

When writing the real raid1, write requests which were BIO_RW_BARRIER but
which aresn't supported need to be retried.  So raid1d is enhanced to do this,
and when any bio write completes (i.e.  no retry needed) we remove it from the
r1bio, so that devices needing retry are easy to find.

We should hardly ever get -ENOTSUPP errors when writing data to the raid.
It should only happen if:
  1/ the device used to support BARRIER, but now doesn't.  Few devices
     change like this, though raid1 can!
or
  2/ the array has no persistent superblock, so there was no opportunity to
     pre-test for barriers when writing the superblock.

Signed-off-by: Neil Brown <neilb@cse.unsw.edu.au>
Signed-off-by: Neil Brown <neilb@suse.de>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>
16 years ago[PATCH] md: make md on-disk bitmaps not host-endian
NeilBrown [Wed, 9 Nov 2005 05:39:32 +0000 (21:39 -0800)]
[PATCH] md: make md on-disk bitmaps not host-endian

Current bitmaps use set_bit et.al and so are host-endian, which means
not-portable.  Oops.

Define a new version number (4) for which bitmaps are little-endian.

Signed-off-by: Neil Brown <neilb@suse.de>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>
16 years ago[PATCH] md: convert 'faulty' and 'in_sync' fields to bits in 'flags' field
NeilBrown [Wed, 9 Nov 2005 05:39:31 +0000 (21:39 -0800)]
[PATCH] md: convert 'faulty' and 'in_sync' fields to bits in 'flags' field

This has the advantage of removing the confusion caused by 'rdev_t' and
'mddev_t' both having 'in_sync' fields.

Signed-off-by: Neil Brown <neilb@suse.de>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>
16 years ago[PATCH] md: improvements to raid5 handling of read errors
NeilBrown [Wed, 9 Nov 2005 05:39:31 +0000 (21:39 -0800)]
[PATCH] md: improvements to raid5 handling of read errors

Two refinements to the 'attempt-overwrite-on-read-error' mechanism.
1/ If the array is read-only, don't attempt an over-write.
2/ If there are more than max_nr_stripes read errors on a device with
   no success, fail the drive.  This will make sure a dead
   drive will be eventually kicked even when we aren't trying
   to rewrite (which would normally kick a dead drive more quickly.

Signed-off-by: Neil Brown <neilb@suse.de>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>
16 years ago[PATCH] md: change raid5 sysfs attribute to not create a new directory
NeilBrown [Wed, 9 Nov 2005 05:39:30 +0000 (21:39 -0800)]
[PATCH] md: change raid5 sysfs attribute to not create a new directory

There isn't really a need for raid5 attributes to be an a subdirectory,
so this patch moves them from
  /sys/block/mdX/md/raid5/attribute
to
  /sys/block/mdX/md/attribute

This suggests that all md personalities should co-operate about
namespace usage, but that shouldn't be a problem.

Signed-off-by: Neil Brown <neilb@suse.de>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>
16 years ago[PATCH] md: minor MD fixes
NeilBrown [Wed, 9 Nov 2005 05:39:29 +0000 (21:39 -0800)]
[PATCH] md: minor MD fixes

1/ Use reduce stack usage, because 'gcc' apparently doesn't overlay
   different variables  that are in separate scopes...

2/ Use test_bit instead of ( .. & 1<< ..) which in this case is buggy.

Thanks to Andrew Morton

Signed-off-by: Neil Brown <neilb@suse.de>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>
16 years ago[PATCH] md: fix ref-counting problems with kobjects in md
NeilBrown [Wed, 9 Nov 2005 05:39:28 +0000 (21:39 -0800)]
[PATCH] md: fix ref-counting problems with kobjects in md

Thanks Greg.

Cc: Greg KH <greg@kroah.com>
Signed-off-by: Neil Brown <neilb@suse.de>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>
16 years ago[PATCH] md: provide proper rcu_dereference / rcu_assign_pointer annotations in md
Suzanne Wood [Wed, 9 Nov 2005 05:39:27 +0000 (21:39 -0800)]
[PATCH] md: provide proper rcu_dereference / rcu_assign_pointer annotations in md

Acked-by: <paulmck@us.ibm.com>
Signed-off-by: Suzanne Wood <suzannew@cs.pdx.edu>
Signed-off-by: Neil Brown <neilb@suse.de>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>
16 years ago[PATCH] md: teach raid5 the difference between 'check' and 'repair'.
NeilBrown [Wed, 9 Nov 2005 05:39:26 +0000 (21:39 -0800)]
[PATCH] md: teach raid5 the difference between 'check' and 'repair'.

With this, raid5 can be asked to check parity without repairing it.  It also
keeps a count of the number of incorrect parity blocks found (mismatches) and
reports them through sysfs.

Signed-off-by: Neil Brown <neilb@suse.de>
Cc: Greg KH <greg@kroah.com>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>
16 years ago[PATCH] md: allow a manual resync with md
NeilBrown [Wed, 9 Nov 2005 05:39:26 +0000 (21:39 -0800)]
[PATCH] md: allow a manual resync with md

You can trigger a 'check' with
  echo check > /sys/block/mdX/md/scan_mode
or a check-and-repair errors with
  echo repair > /sys/block/mdX/md/scan_mode

and read the current state from the same file.

Note: personalities need to know the different between 'check' and 'repair',
but don't yet.  Until they do, 'check' will be the same as 'repair' and will
just do a normal resync pass.

Signed-off-by: Neil Brown <neilb@suse.de>
Cc: Greg KH <greg@kroah.com>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>
16 years ago[PATCH] md: add kobject/sysfs support to raid5
NeilBrown [Wed, 9 Nov 2005 05:39:25 +0000 (21:39 -0800)]
[PATCH] md: add kobject/sysfs support to raid5

/sys/block/mdX/md/raid5/
contains raid5-related attributes.
Currently
  stripe_cache_size
is number of entries in stripe cache, and is settable.
  stripe_cache_active
is number of active entries, and in only readable.

Signed-off-by: Neil Brown <neilb@suse.de>
Cc: Greg KH <greg@kroah.com>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>
16 years ago[PATCH] md: extend md sysfs support to component devices.
NeilBrown [Wed, 9 Nov 2005 05:39:24 +0000 (21:39 -0800)]
[PATCH] md: extend md sysfs support to component devices.

Each device in an md array how has a corresponding
  /sys/block/mdX/md/devNN/
directory which can contain attributes.  Currently there is only 'state' which
summarises the state, nd 'super' which has a copy of the superblock, and
'block' which is a symlink to the block device.

Also, /sys/block/mdX/md/rdNN represents slot 'NN' in the array, and is a
symlink to the relevant 'devNN'.  Obviously spare devices do not have a slot
in the array, and so don't have such a symlink.

Signed-off-by: Neil Brown <neilb@suse.de>
Cc: Greg KH <greg@kroah.com>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>
16 years ago[PATCH] md: initial sysfs support for md
NeilBrown [Wed, 9 Nov 2005 05:39:23 +0000 (21:39 -0800)]
[PATCH] md: initial sysfs support for md

Start using kobjects in mddevs, and provide a couple of simple attributes
(level and disks).  Attributes live in
  /sys/block/mdX/md/attr-name

Signed-off-by: Neil Brown <neilb@suse.de>
Cc: Greg KH <greg@kroah.com>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>
16 years ago[PATCH] md: better handling of readerrors with raid5.
NeilBrown [Wed, 9 Nov 2005 05:39:22 +0000 (21:39 -0800)]
[PATCH] md: better handling of readerrors with raid5.

This patch changes the behaviour of raid5 when it gets a read error.
Instead of just failing the device, it tried to find out what should have
been there, and writes it over the bad block.  For some media-errors, this
has a reasonable chance of fixing the error.  If the write succeeds, and a
subsequent read succeeds as well, raid5 decided the address is OK and
conitnues.

Instead of failing a drive on read-error, we attempt to re-write the block,
and then re-read.  If that all works, we allow the device to remain in the
array.

Signed-off-by: Neil Brown <neilb@suse.de>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>
16 years ago[PATCH] drivers/video/vgastate.c: kill dead code
Adrian Bunk [Wed, 9 Nov 2005 05:39:21 +0000 (21:39 -0800)]
[PATCH] drivers/video/vgastate.c: kill dead code

This patch kills some dead code.

Signed-off-by: Adrian Bunk <bunk@stusta.de>
Acked-by: Antonino Daplas <adaplas@pol.net>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>
16 years ago[PATCH] i386: EXPORT_SYMBOL(screen_info) even #ifndef CONFIG_VT
Adrian Bunk [Wed, 9 Nov 2005 05:39:21 +0000 (21:39 -0800)]
[PATCH] i386: EXPORT_SYMBOL(screen_info) even #ifndef CONFIG_VT

The folllowing modules require screen_info but don't depend
on CONFIG_VT:
- vga16fb.ko
- intelfb.ko

Signed-off-by: Adrian Bunk <bunk@stusta.de>
Acked-by: "Antonino A. Daplas" <adaplas@pol.net>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>
16 years ago[PATCH] fbdev: move ioctl32 code to fbmem.c
Arnd Bergmann [Wed, 9 Nov 2005 05:39:19 +0000 (21:39 -0800)]
[PATCH] fbdev: move ioctl32 code to fbmem.c

The frame buffer layer already had some code dealing with compat ioctls, this
patch moves over the remaining code from fs/compat_ioctl.c

Signed-off-by: Arnd Bergmann <arnd@arndb.de>
Signed-off-by: Antonino Daplas <adaplas@pol.net>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>
16 years ago[PATCH] fbdev: Remove remains of epson1356fb
Ralf Baechle [Wed, 9 Nov 2005 05:39:18 +0000 (21:39 -0800)]
[PATCH] fbdev: Remove remains of epson1356fb

Delete leftovers of the FB_E1356 and anything that did depend on it.

Signed-off-by: Ralf Baechle <ralf@linux-mips.org>
Signed-off-by: Antonino Daplas <adaplas@pol.net>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>
16 years ago[PATCH] fbdev: Possible endian fix in cfbimageblit
Antonino A. Daplas [Wed, 9 Nov 2005 05:39:17 +0000 (21:39 -0800)]
[PATCH] fbdev: Possible endian fix in cfbimageblit

Fix possible endian bug(?) when bit testing in slow_imageblit().  This
function is rarely called (only if (width * bpp) % 32 != 0) thus the bug is
not triggered.

However, if the console is rotated at 90 or 270 degrees, the height becomes
the width, and a variety of fonts have heights that will force a call to
slow_imageblit().

Signed-off-by: Antonino Daplas <adaplas@pol.net>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>
16 years ago[PATCH] vga16fb: Convert vga16fb as a platform device
Antonino A. Daplas [Wed, 9 Nov 2005 05:39:16 +0000 (21:39 -0800)]
[PATCH] vga16fb: Convert vga16fb as a platform device

- Convert vga16fb as a platform device

- use framebuffer_alloc() to dynamically allocate resources, and
  framebuffer_release() to free

- remove unneeded casts

- trivial whitespace changes

Signed-off-by: Antonino Daplas <adaplas@pol.net>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>
16 years ago[PATCH] fbcon: Console Rotation - Add framebuffer console documentation
Antonino A. Daplas [Wed, 9 Nov 2005 05:39:15 +0000 (21:39 -0800)]
[PATCH] fbcon: Console Rotation - Add framebuffer console documentation

Add documentation as Documentation/fb/fbcon.txt describing the framebuffer
console and its boot options.

Signed-off-by: Antonino Daplas <adaplas@pol.net>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>
16 years ago[PATCH] fbcon: Console Rotation - Add ability to control rotation via sysfs
Antonino A. Daplas [Wed, 9 Nov 2005 05:39:15 +0000 (21:39 -0800)]
[PATCH] fbcon: Console Rotation - Add ability to control rotation via sysfs

Add ability to set rotation via sysfs.  The attributes are located in
/sys/class/graphics/fb[n] and accepts 0 - unrotated; 1 - clockwise; 2 - upside
down; 3 - counterclockwise.

The attributes are:

con_rotate (r/w) -   set rotation of the active console
con_rotate_all (w) - set rotation of all consoles
rotate (r/w) -       set rotation of the framebuffer, if supported.
Currently, none of the drivers support this.

This is probably temporary, since con_rotate and con_rotate_all are
console-specific and has no business being under the fb device.  However,
until the console layer acquires it's own sysfs class, these attributes will
temporarily reside here.

Signed-off-by: Antonino Daplas <adaplas@pol.net>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>
16 years ago[PATCH] fbcon: Console Rotation - Add support for 270-degree rotation
Antonino A. Daplas [Wed, 9 Nov 2005 05:39:14 +0000 (21:39 -0800)]
[PATCH] fbcon: Console Rotation - Add support for 270-degree rotation

Add support for 270-degree (counterclockwise) rotation of the console.  To
activate, boot with:

fbcon=rotate:3

Signed-off-by: Antonino Daplas <adaplas@pol.net>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>
16 years ago[PATCH] fbcon: Console Rotation - Add support for 180-degree console rotation
Antonino A. Daplas [Wed, 9 Nov 2005 05:39:13 +0000 (21:39 -0800)]
[PATCH] fbcon: Console Rotation - Add support for 180-degree console rotation

Add support for 180-degree (upside down) rotation of the console.  To
activate, boot with:

fbcon=rotate:2

Signed-off-by: Antonino Daplas <adaplas@pol.net>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>
16 years ago[PATCH] fbcon: Console Rotation - Add support for 90-degree console rotation
Antonino A. Daplas [Wed, 9 Nov 2005 05:39:12 +0000 (21:39 -0800)]
[PATCH] fbcon: Console Rotation - Add support for 90-degree console rotation

Add support for 90-degree (clockwise) rotation of the console.  To activate,
boot with:

fbcon=rotate:1

Signed-off-by: Antonino Daplas <adaplas@pol.net>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>
16 years ago[PATCH] fbcon: Console Rotation - Add support to rotate font bitmap
Antonino A. Daplas [Wed, 9 Nov 2005 05:39:11 +0000 (21:39 -0800)]
[PATCH] fbcon: Console Rotation - Add support to rotate font bitmap

Add support to rotate the font bitmap.  To save on processing time, the entire
fontdata will be rotated on a console switch, then stored in a buffer private
to fbcon.  To further save on processing, the fontdata will only be rotated if
the font has changed or if the angle of rotation has changed.  Only a single
copy of the rotated fontdata will be kept.

Signed-off-by: Antonino Daplas <adaplas@pol.net>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>
16 years ago[PATCH] fbcon: Console Rotation - Add support to rotate the logo
Antonino A. Daplas [Wed, 9 Nov 2005 05:39:10 +0000 (21:39 -0800)]
[PATCH] fbcon: Console Rotation - Add support to rotate the logo

Add support for rotating and positioning of the logo.  Rotation and position
depends on 'int rotate' parameter added to fb_prepare_logo() and
fb_show_logo().

Signed-off-by: Antonino Daplas <adaplas@pol.net>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>
16 years ago[PATCH] fbcon: Console Rotation - Prepare fbcon for console rotation
Antonino A. Daplas [Wed, 9 Nov 2005 05:39:09 +0000 (21:39 -0800)]
[PATCH] fbcon: Console Rotation - Prepare fbcon for console rotation

This patch series implements generic code to rotate the console at 90, 180,
and 270 degrees. The implementation is completely done in the framebuffer
console level, thus no changes to the framebuffer layer or to the drivers
are needed.

Console rotation is required by some Sharp-based devices where the natural
orientation of the display is not at 0 degrees. Also, users that have
displays that can pivot will benefit by having a console in portrait mode
if they so desire.

The choice to implement the code in the console layer rather than in the
framebuffer layer is due to the following reasons:

- it's fast
- it does not require driver changes
- it can coexist with devices that can rotate the display at the hardware level
- it complements graphics applications that can do display rotation

The changes to core fbcon are minimal-- recognition of the console
rotation angle so it can swap directions, origins and axes (xres vs yres,
xpanstep vs ypanstep, xoffset vs yoffset, etc) and storage of the rotation
angle per display. The bulk of the code that does the actual drawing to the
screen are placed in separate files. Each angle of rotation has separate
methods (bmove, clear, putcs, cursor, update_start which is derived from
update_var, and clear_margins).  To mimimize processing time, the fontdata
are pre-rotated at each console switch (only if the font or the angle has
changed).

The option can be compiled out (CONFIG_FRAMEBUFFER_CONSOLE_ROTATION = n) if
rotation is not needed.

Choosing the rotation angle can be done in several ways:

1. boot option fbcon=rotate:n, where
     n = 0 - normal
     n = 1 - 90 degrees (clockwise)
     n = 2 - 180 degrees (upside down)
     n = 3 - 270 degrees (counterclockwise)

2. echo n > /sys/class/graphics/fb[num]/con_rotate

     where n is the same as described above. It sets the angle of rotation
of the current console

3 echo n > /sys/class/graphics/fb[num]/con_rotate_all

     where n is the same as described above. Globally sets the angle of
rotation.

GOTCHAS:

The option, especially at angles of 90 and 270 degrees, will exercise
the least used code of drivers.  Namely, at these angles, panning is done
in the x-axis, so it can reveal bugs in the driver if xpanstep is set
incorrectly. A workaround is to set xpanstep = 0.

Secondly, at these angles, the framebuffer memory access can be
unaligned if (fontheight * bpp) % 32 ~= 0 which can reveal bugs in the drivers
imageblit, fillrect and copyarea functions.  (I think cfbfillrect may have
this buglet). A workaround is to use a standard 8x16 font.

Speed:

The scrolling speed difference between 0 and 180 degrees is minimal,
somewhere areound 1-2%.  At 90 or 270 degress, speed drops down to a vicinity
of 30-40%. This is understandable because the blit direction is across the
framebuffer "direction." Scrolling will be helped at these angles if xpanstep
is not equal to zero, use of 8x16 fonts, and setting xres_virtual >= xres * 2.

Note: The code is tested on little-endian only, so I don't know if it will
work in big-endian. Please let me know, it will take only less than a minute
of your time.

This patch prepares fbcon for console rotation and contains the following
changes:

- add rotate field in struct fbcon_ops to keep fbcon's current rotation
  angle

- add con_rotate field in struct display to store per-display rotation angle

- create a private copy of the current var to fbcon.  This will prevent
  fbcon from directly manipulating info->var, especially the fields xoffset,
  yoffset and vmode.

- add ability to swap pertinent axes (xres, yres; xpanstep, ypanstep; etc)
  depending on the rotation angle

- change global update_var() (function that sets the screen start address)
  as an fbcon method update_start.  This is required because the axes, start
  offset, and/or direction can be reversed depending on the rotation angle.

- add fbcon method rotate_font() which will rotate each character bitmap to
  the correct angle of rotation.

- add fbcon boot option 'rotate' to select the angle of rotation at bootime.
   Currently does nothing until all patches are applied.

Signed-off-by: Antonino Daplas <adaplas@pol.net>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>
16 years ago[PATCH] fbdev: Framebuffer mode required for PowerBook Titanium
Michael Hanselmann [Wed, 9 Nov 2005 05:39:06 +0000 (21:39 -0800)]
[PATCH] fbdev: Framebuffer mode required for PowerBook Titanium

This patch adds the framebuffer mode required for an Apple PowerBook G4
Titanium.

Signed-off-by: Michael Hanselmann <linux-kernel@hansmi.ch>
Signed-off-by: Antonino Daplas <adaplas@pol.net>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>
16 years ago[PATCH] savagefb: X-panning fixes
Antonino A. Daplas [Wed, 9 Nov 2005 05:39:05 +0000 (21:39 -0800)]
[PATCH] savagefb: X-panning fixes

The driver unconditionally sets xpanstep to 2.  However, a value of 4
empirically works better at bpp = 8, and 2 for 16 and 32.  This buglet was
exposed by the rotation code.

Second fix is the unconditional call to update_start() without verifying if
the offsets are correct.  Remove this call, it's not necessary and secondly,
it causes a crash with invalid values.

Signed-off-by: Antonino Daplas <adaplas@pol.net>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>
16 years ago[PATCH] sched: resched and cpu_idle rework
Nick Piggin [Wed, 9 Nov 2005 05:39:04 +0000 (21:39 -0800)]
[PATCH] sched: resched and cpu_idle rework

Make some changes to the NEED_RESCHED and POLLING_NRFLAG to reduce
confusion, and make their semantics rigid.  Improves efficiency of
resched_task and some cpu_idle routines.

* In resched_task:
- TIF_NEED_RESCHED is only cleared with the task's runqueue lock held,
  and as we hold it during resched_task, then there is no need for an
  atomic test and set there. The only other time this should be set is
  when the task's quantum expires, in the timer interrupt - this is
  protected against because the rq lock is irq-safe.

- If TIF_NEED_RESCHED is set, then we don't need to do anything. It
  won't get unset until the task get's schedule()d off.

- If we are running on the same CPU as the task we resched, then set
  TIF_NEED_RESCHED and no further action is required.

- If we are running on another CPU, and TIF_POLLING_NRFLAG is *not* set
  after TIF_NEED_RESCHED has been set, then we need to send an IPI.

Using these rules, we are able to remove the test and set operation in
resched_task, and make clear the previously vague semantics of
POLLING_NRFLAG.

* In idle routines:
- Enter cpu_idle with preempt disabled. When the need_resched() condition
  becomes true, explicitly call schedule(). This makes things a bit clearer
  (IMO), but haven't updated all architectures yet.

- Many do a test and clear of TIF_NEED_RESCHED for some reason. According
  to the resched_task rules, this isn't needed (and actually breaks the
  assumption that TIF_NEED_RESCHED is only cleared with the runqueue lock
  held). So remove that. Generally one less locked memory op when switching
  to the idle thread.

- Many idle routines clear TIF_POLLING_NRFLAG, and only set it in the inner
  most polling idle loops. The above resched_task semantics allow it to be
  set until before the last time need_resched() is checked before going into
  a halt requiring interrupt wakeup.

  Many idle routines simply never enter such a halt, and so POLLING_NRFLAG
  can be always left set, completely eliminating resched IPIs when rescheduling
  the idle task.

  POLLING_NRFLAG width can be increased, to reduce the chance of resched IPIs.

Signed-off-by: Nick Piggin <npiggin@suse.de>
Cc: Ingo Molnar <mingo@elte.hu>
Cc: Con Kolivas <kernel@kolivas.org>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>
16 years ago[PATCH] sched: disable preempt in idle tasks
Nick Piggin [Wed, 9 Nov 2005 05:39:01 +0000 (21:39 -0800)]
[PATCH] sched: disable preempt in idle tasks

Run idle threads with preempt disabled.

Also corrected a bugs in arm26's cpu_idle (make it actually call schedule()).
How did it ever work before?

Might fix the CPU hotplugging hang which Nigel Cunningham noted.

We think the bug hits if the idle thread is preempted after checking
need_resched() and before going to sleep, then the CPU offlined.

After calling stop_machine_run, the CPU eventually returns from preemption and
into the idle thread and goes to sleep.  The CPU will continue executing
previous idle and have no chance to call play_dead.

By disabling preemption until we are ready to explicitly schedule, this bug is
fixed and the idle threads generally become more robust.

From: alexs <ashepard@u.washington.edu>

  PPC build fix

From: Yoichi Yuasa <yuasa@hh.iij4u.or.jp>

  MIPS build fix

Signed-off-by: Nick Piggin <npiggin@suse.de>
Signed-off-by: Yoichi Yuasa <yuasa@hh.iij4u.or.jp>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>
16 years ago[PATCH] sched: consider migration thread with smp nice
Con Kolivas [Wed, 9 Nov 2005 05:39:00 +0000 (21:39 -0800)]
[PATCH] sched: consider migration thread with smp nice

The intermittent scheduling of the migration thread at ultra high priority
makes the smp nice handling see that runqueue as being heavily loaded.  The
migration thread itself actually handles the balancing so its influence on
priority balancing should be ignored.

Signed-off-by: Con Kolivas <kernel@kolivas.org>
Cc: Ingo Molnar <mingo@elte.hu>
Cc: Nick Piggin <nickpiggin@yahoo.com.au>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>
16 years ago[PATCH] sched: correct smp_nice_bias
Con Kolivas [Wed, 9 Nov 2005 05:38:59 +0000 (21:38 -0800)]
[PATCH] sched: correct smp_nice_bias

The priority biasing was off by mutliplying the total load by the total
priority bias and this ruins the ratio of loads between runqueues. This
patch should correct the ratios of loads between runqueues to be proportional
to overall load. -2nd attempt.

From: Dave Kleikamp <shaggy@austin.ibm.com>

  This patch fixes a divide-by-zero error that I hit on a two-way i386
  machine.  rq->nr_running is tested to be non-zero, but may change by the
  time it is used in the division.  Saving the value to a local variable
  ensures that the same value that is checked is used in the division.

Signed-off-by: Con Kolivas <kernel@kolivas.org>
Signed-off-by: Dave Kleikamp <shaggy@austin.ibm.com>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>
16 years ago[PATCH] sched: smp nice bias busy queues on idle rebalance
Con Kolivas [Wed, 9 Nov 2005 05:38:58 +0000 (21:38 -0800)]
[PATCH] sched: smp nice bias busy queues on idle rebalance

To intensify the 'nice' support across physical cpus on SMP we can bias the
loads on idle rebalancing. To prevent idle rebalance from trying to pull tasks
from queues that appear heavily loaded we only bias the load if there is more
than one task running.

Add some minor micro-optimisations and have only one return from __source_load
and __target_load functions.

Fix the fact that target_load was not biased by priority when type == 0.

Signed-off-by: Con Kolivas <kernel@kolivas.org>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>
16 years ago[PATCH] sched: account rt tasks in prio_bias()
Con Kolivas [Wed, 9 Nov 2005 05:38:57 +0000 (21:38 -0800)]
[PATCH] sched: account rt tasks in prio_bias()

Real time tasks' effect on prio_bias should be based on their real time
priority level instead of their static_prio which is based on nice.

Signed-off-by: Con Kolivas <kernel@kolivas.org>
Cc: Ingo Molnar <mingo@elte.hu>
Cc: Nick Piggin <nickpiggin@yahoo.com.au>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>
16 years ago[PATCH] sched: change prio bias only if queued
Con Kolivas [Wed, 9 Nov 2005 05:38:56 +0000 (21:38 -0800)]
[PATCH] sched: change prio bias only if queued

prio_bias should only be adjusted in set_user_nice if p is actually currently
queued.

Signed-off-by: Con Kolivas <kernel@kolivas.org>
Cc: Ingo Molnar <mingo@elte.hu>
Cc: Nick Piggin <nickpiggin@yahoo.com.au>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>
16 years ago[PATCH] sched: implement nice support across physical cpus on SMP
Con Kolivas [Wed, 9 Nov 2005 05:38:55 +0000 (21:38 -0800)]
[PATCH] sched: implement nice support across physical cpus on SMP

This patch implements 'nice' support across physical cpus on SMP.

It introduces an extra runqueue variable prio_bias which is the sum of the
(inverted) static priorities of all the tasks on the runqueue.

This is then used to bias busy rebalancing between runqueues to obtain good
distribution of tasks of different nice values.  By biasing the balancing only
during busy rebalancing we can avoid having any significant loss of throughput
by not affecting the carefully tuned idle balancing already in place.  If all
tasks are running at the same nice level this code should also have minimal
effect.  The code is optimised out in the !CONFIG_SMP case.

Signed-off-by: Con Kolivas <kernel@kolivas.org>
Cc: Ingo Molnar <mingo@elte.hu>
Cc: Nick Piggin <nickpiggin@yahoo.com.au>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>
16 years ago[PATCH] V4L: 926: Saa7134 alsa can only be autoloaded after saa7134 is active
Ricardo Cerqueira [Wed, 9 Nov 2005 05:38:54 +0000 (21:38 -0800)]
[PATCH] V4L: 926: Saa7134 alsa can only be autoloaded after saa7134 is active

- Saa7134-alsa can only be autoloaded after saa7134 is active
- Applied pertinent changes proposed by the ALSA team
- dsp_nr replaced by ALSA's index[]

Signed-off-by: Ricardo Cerqueira <v4l@cerqueira.org>
Signed-off-by: Mauro Carvalho Chehab <mchehab@brturbo.com.br>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>
16 years ago[PATCH] V4L: 925: saa7134 alsa is now a standalone module
Ricardo Cerqueira [Wed, 9 Nov 2005 05:38:53 +0000 (21:38 -0800)]
[PATCH] V4L: 925: saa7134 alsa is now a standalone module

Saa7134-alsa is now a standalone module

Signed-off-by: Ricardo Cerqueira <v4l@cerqueira.org>
Signed-off-by: Mauro Carvalho Chehab <mchehab@brturbo.com.br>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>
16 years ago[PATCH] V4L: removal schedule for V4L1 API
Mauro Carvalho Chehab [Wed, 9 Nov 2005 05:38:53 +0000 (21:38 -0800)]
[PATCH] V4L: removal schedule for V4L1 API

States a date for removing V4L1 API

Signed-off-by: Mauro Carvalho Chehab <mchehab@brturbo.com.br>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>
16 years ago[PATCH] V4L: 920: fixed autodetection of max size by if alternate setting
Mauro Carvalho Chehab [Wed, 9 Nov 2005 05:38:52 +0000 (21:38 -0800)]
[PATCH] V4L: 920: fixed autodetection of max size by if alternate setting

- Fixed autodetection of max size by if alternate setting
- Fixed some debug messages

Signed-off-by: Mauro Carvalho Chehab <mchehab@brturbo.com.br>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>
16 years ago[PATCH] V4L: 919: improves the audio handling for nicam on cx88-audio
Torsten Seeboth [Wed, 9 Nov 2005 05:38:51 +0000 (21:38 -0800)]
[PATCH] V4L: 919: improves the audio handling for nicam on cx88-audio

Improves the audio handling for NICAM on cx88 audio.

Signed-off-by: Torsten Seeboth <Torsten.Seeboth@t-online.de>
Signed-off-by: Mauro Carvalho Chehab <mchehab@brturbo.com.br>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>
16 years ago[PATCH] V4L: 917: fixes some bugs in msp3400
Hans Verkuil [Wed, 9 Nov 2005 05:38:50 +0000 (21:38 -0800)]
[PATCH] V4L: 917: fixes some bugs in msp3400

- Adds missing msp34xxg_reset to VIDIOC_S_STD (just like VIDIOCSCHAN).
- Improves msp3400 debug messages.
  Now, all kernel message in msp3400.c use the same prefix
  and include the I2C bus to differentiate between multiple
  msp3400 I2C chips.
- Correctly prints the chip identifier for the msp44xx chips.
- msp34xxg cleanups.

Signed-off-by: Hans Verkuil <hverkuil@xs4all.nl>
Signed-off-by: Mauro Carvalho Chehab <mchehab@brturbo.com.br>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>
16 years ago[PATCH] V4L: 916: fixes set scart parameter definitions and audout ioctl
Mauro Carvalho Chehab [Wed, 9 Nov 2005 05:38:50 +0000 (21:38 -0800)]
[PATCH] V4L: 916: fixes set scart parameter definitions and audout ioctl

Fixes set_scart parameter definitions and AUDOUT ioctl

Signed-off-by: Mauro Carvalho Chehab <mchehab@brturbo.com.br>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>
16 years ago[PATCH] V4L: 915: fixes compilation problems due removal of media/id.h and i2c-algo-bit
Hans Verkuil [Wed, 9 Nov 2005 05:38:49 +0000 (21:38 -0800)]
[PATCH] V4L: 915: fixes compilation problems due removal of media/id.h and i2c-algo-bit

Fixes compilation problems due removal of media/id.h and I2C_ALGO_BIT

Signed-off-by: Hans Verkuil <hverkuil@xs4all.nl>
Signed-off-by: Mauro Carvalho Chehab <mchehab@brturbo.com.br>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>
16 years ago[PATCH] V4L: SAA7134 alsa build fix
Mauro Carvalho Chehab [Wed, 9 Nov 2005 05:38:48 +0000 (21:38 -0800)]
[PATCH] V4L: SAA7134 alsa build fix

Fixes saa7134-alsa build inside saa7134 driver.

Signed-off-by: Mauro Carvalho Chehab <mchehab@brturbo.com.br>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>
16 years ago[PATCH] V4L: 914: use less generic name for saa7134 card 79
Ricardo Cerqueira [Wed, 9 Nov 2005 05:38:47 +0000 (21:38 -0800)]
[PATCH] V4L: 914: use less generic name for saa7134 card 79

Use less-generic name for saa7134 card #79

Signed-off-by: Ricardo Cerqueira <v4l@cerqueira.org>
Signed-off-by: Mauro Carvalho Chehab <mchehab@brturbo.com.br>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>
16 years ago[PATCH] V4L: 913: saa713x cards with i2c remotes now autoload ir-kbd-i2c
Ricardo Cerqueira [Wed, 9 Nov 2005 05:38:47 +0000 (21:38 -0800)]
[PATCH] V4L: 913: saa713x cards with i2c remotes now autoload ir-kbd-i2c

SAA713x cards with i2c remotes now autoload ir-kbd-i2c (disable_ir works, as
it does for GPIO remotes)

Signed-off-by: Ricardo Cerqueira <v4l@cerqueira.org>
Signed-off-by: Mauro Carvalho Chehab <mchehab@brturbo.com.br>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>
16 years ago[PATCH] V4L: 911: added support for ntsc 4.43 video standard
Tyler Trafford [Wed, 9 Nov 2005 05:38:46 +0000 (21:38 -0800)]
[PATCH] V4L: 911: added support for ntsc 4.43 video standard

Added support for NTSC 4.43 video standard.

Signed-off-by: Tyler Trafford <tatrafford@comcast.net>
Signed-off-by: Mauro Carvalho Chehab <mchehab@brturbo.com.br>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>
16 years ago[PATCH] V4L: 909: updated cardlist and strip trailing whitespace
Michael Krufky [Wed, 9 Nov 2005 05:38:45 +0000 (21:38 -0800)]
[PATCH] V4L: 909: updated cardlist and strip trailing whitespace

Updated CARDLIST and strip trailing whitespace.

Signed-off-by: Michael Krufky <mkrufky@m1k.net>
Signed-off-by: Mauro Carvalho Chehab <mchehab@brturbo.com.br>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>
16 years ago[PATCH] V4L: 908: added dvb-t support for asus p7134 dual
Hartmut Hackmann [Wed, 9 Nov 2005 05:38:44 +0000 (21:38 -0800)]
[PATCH] V4L: 908: added dvb-t support for asus p7134 dual

- Added dvb-t support for Asus P7134 Dual
- added pci id for ADS Tech Instant TV cardbus variant

Signed-off-by: Hartmut Hackmann <hartmut.hackmann@t.online.de>
Signed-off-by: Mauro Carvalho Chehab <mchehab@brturbo.com.br>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>
16 years ago[PATCH] V4L: 907: em28xx cleanups and fixes
Mauro Carvalho Chehab [Wed, 9 Nov 2005 05:38:43 +0000 (21:38 -0800)]
[PATCH] V4L: 907: em28xx cleanups and fixes

- Em28xx cleanups and fixes.
- Some cleanups and audio amux adjust.
- em28xx will allways try, by default, the biggest size alt.
- Fixes audio mux code.
- Fixes some logs.
- Adds support for digital output for WinTV USB2 board.

Signed-off-by: Mauro Carvalho Chehab <mchehab@brturbo.com.br>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>