13 years ago[PATCH] aoa: i2sbus: move module parameter declaration up
Benjamin Herrenschmidt [Mon, 10 Jul 2006 11:44:34 +0000]
[PATCH] aoa: i2sbus: move module parameter declaration up

This patch moves the i2sbus 'force' module parameter declaration to the top of
the file.

Signed-off-by: Benjamin Herrenschmidt <benh@kernel.crashing.org>
Signed-off-by: Johannes Berg <johannes@sipsolutions.net>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

13 years ago[PATCH] Fix snd-aoa irq conversion
Andreas Schwab [Mon, 10 Jul 2006 11:44:33 +0000]
[PATCH] Fix snd-aoa irq conversion

Use proper irq mapping interface for snd-aoa-i2sbus.

Signed-off-by: Andreas Schwab <schwab@suse.de>
Acked-by: Benjamin Herrenschmidt <benh@kernel.crashing.org>
Signed-off-by: Johannes Berg <johannes@sipsolutions.net>
Cc: Jaroslav Kysela <perex@suse.cz>
Cc: Takashi Iwai <tiwai@suse.de>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

13 years ago[PATCH] adjust clock for lost ticks
Roman Zippel [Mon, 10 Jul 2006 11:44:32 +0000]
[PATCH] adjust clock for lost ticks

A large number of lost ticks can cause an overadjustment of the clock.  To
compensate for this we look at the current error and the larger the error
already is the more careful we are at adjusting the error.  As small extra
fix reset the error when the clock is set.

Signed-off-by: Roman Zippel <zippel@linux-m68k.org>
Acked-by: john stultz <johnstul@us.ibm.com>
Cc: Uwe Bugla <uwe.bugla@gmx.de>
Cc: James Bottomley <James.Bottomley@SteelEye.com>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

13 years ago[PATCH] vmstat: export all_vm_events()
Heiko Carstens [Mon, 10 Jul 2006 11:44:31 +0000]
[PATCH] vmstat: export all_vm_events()

Add missing EXPORT_SYMBOL for all_vm_events(). Git commit
f8891e5e1f93a128c3900f82035e8541357896a7 caused this:

  Building modules, stage 2.
  MODPOST
WARNING: "all_vm_events" [arch/s390/appldata/appldata_mem.ko] undefined!
CC arch/s390/appldata/appldata_mem.mod.o

Cc: Christoph Lameter <christoph@lameter.com>
Cc: Gerald Schaefer <geraldsc@de.ibm.com>
Cc: Martin Schwidefsky <schwidefsky@de.ibm.com>
Signed-off-by: Heiko Carstens <heiko.carstens@de.ibm.com>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

13 years ago[PATCH] ZVC: add __inc_zone_state for !SMP configuration
Christoph Lameter [Mon, 10 Jul 2006 11:44:30 +0000]
[PATCH] ZVC: add __inc_zone_state for !SMP configuration

It turns out that there is a way to build a kernel with NUMA and no SMP.
In that case we are missing one definition __inc_zone_state.

Provide that missing __inc_zone_state.

(akpm: NUMA && !SMP sounds odd, but I am told "But there is the concept of
cpuless nodes.  A NUMA system without SMP has a single processor but multiple
memory nodes.  This used to work before on IA64 (wasn't aware of it, never seen
anyone with this kind of thing).")

Acked-by: Tony Luck <tony.luck@intel.com>
Signed-off-by: Christoph Lameter <clameter@sgi.com>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

13 years ago[PATCH] pi-futex: Validate futex type instead of oopsing
Thomas Gleixner [Mon, 10 Jul 2006 11:44:30 +0000]
[PATCH] pi-futex: Validate futex type instead of oopsing

Calling futex_lock_pi is called with a reference to a non PI futex and
waiters exist already, lookup_pi_state() oopses due to pi_state == NULL.
Check this condition and return -EINVAL to userspace.

Signed-off-by: Thomas Gleixner <tglx@linutronix.de>
Cc: Ingo Molnar <mingo@elte.hu>
Cc: Jakub Jelinek <jakub@redhat.com>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

13 years ago[PATCH] ACPI: fix fan/thermal resume
Konstantin Karasyov [Mon, 10 Jul 2006 11:44:26 +0000]
[PATCH] ACPI: fix fan/thermal resume

Daniel Ritz <daniel.ritz-ml@swissonline.ch> says:

The acpi driver suspend/resume patches that went in recently caused a regression
on my box (toshiba tecra 8000 laptop): after resume from swsusp the fan turns on
keeping blowing cold air out of my notebook. before the patches, the fan was off
and would only make noise when required. it's the same thing described in
bugzilla.kernel.org #5000. the acpi suspend/resume patches or at least parts of
them originate in this bug. now the last patch in the report (attach id 8438)
actually fixes the problem - for me and the reporter. this is a trimmed down
version of that patch.

Signed-off-by: Daniel Ritz <daniel.ritz@gmx.ch>
Cc: Len Brown <len.brown@intel.com>
Cc: Sanjoy Mahajan <sanjoy@mrao.cam.ac.uk>
Cc: Pavel Machek <pavel@suse.cz>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

13 years ago[PATCH] h8300 remove duplicate define
Yoshinori Sato [Mon, 10 Jul 2006 11:44:24 +0000]
[PATCH] h8300 remove duplicate define

Signed-off-by: Yoshinori Sato <ysato@users.sourceforge.jp>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

13 years ago[PATCH] kernel/softirq.c: EXPORT_UNUSED_SYMBOL
Adrian Bunk [Mon, 10 Jul 2006 11:44:24 +0000]
[PATCH] kernel/softirq.c: EXPORT_UNUSED_SYMBOL

This patch marks an unused export as EXPORT_UNUSED_SYMBOL.

Signed-off-by: Adrian Bunk <bunk@stusta.de>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

13 years ago[PATCH] fs/read_write.c: EXPORT_UNUSED_SYMBOL
Adrian Bunk [Mon, 10 Jul 2006 11:44:23 +0000]
[PATCH] fs/read_write.c: EXPORT_UNUSED_SYMBOL

This patch marks an unused export as EXPORT_UNUSED_SYMBOL.

Signed-off-by: Adrian Bunk <bunk@stusta.de>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

13 years ago[PATCH] mm/mmzone.c: EXPORT_UNUSED_SYMBOL
Adrian Bunk [Mon, 10 Jul 2006 11:44:23 +0000]
[PATCH] mm/mmzone.c: EXPORT_UNUSED_SYMBOL

This patch marks three unused exports as EXPORT_UNUSED_SYMBOL.

Signed-off-by: Adrian Bunk <bunk@stusta.de>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

13 years ago[PATCH] mm/memory.c: EXPORT_UNUSED_SYMBOL
Adrian Bunk [Mon, 10 Jul 2006 11:44:22 +0000]
[PATCH] mm/memory.c: EXPORT_UNUSED_SYMBOL

This patch marks an unused export as EXPORT_UNUSED_SYMBOL.

Signed-off-by: Adrian Bunk <bunk@stusta.de>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

13 years ago[PATCH] mm/bootmem.c: EXPORT_UNUSED_SYMBOL
Adrian Bunk [Mon, 10 Jul 2006 11:44:21 +0000]
[PATCH] mm/bootmem.c: EXPORT_UNUSED_SYMBOL

This patch marks an unused export as EXPORT_UNUSED_SYMBOL.

Signed-off-by: Adrian Bunk <bunk@stusta.de>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

13 years ago[PATCH] kernel/printk.c: EXPORT_SYMBOL_UNUSED
Adrian Bunk [Mon, 10 Jul 2006 11:44:21 +0000]
[PATCH] kernel/printk.c: EXPORT_SYMBOL_UNUSED

This patch marks unused exports as EXPORT_SYMBOL_UNUSED.

Signed-off-by: Adrian Bunk <bunk@stusta.de>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

13 years ago[PATCH] md: fix oops in error-handling
Andrew Morton [Mon, 10 Jul 2006 11:44:20 +0000]
[PATCH] md: fix oops in error-handling

During early MD setup (superblock reading), we don't have a personality yet.
But the error-handling code tries to dereference mddev->pers.  Fix.

Acked-by: Neil Brown <neilb@suse.de>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

13 years ago[PATCH] md: include sector number in messages about corrected read errors
NeilBrown [Mon, 10 Jul 2006 11:44:20 +0000]
[PATCH] md: include sector number in messages about corrected read errors

This is generally useful, but particularly helps see if it is the same sector
that always needs correcting, or different ones.

[akpm@osdl.org: fix printk warnings]
Signed-off-by: Neil Brown <neilb@suse.de>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

13 years ago[PATCH] md: require CAP_SYS_ADMIN for (re-)configuring md devices via sysfs
NeilBrown [Mon, 10 Jul 2006 11:44:19 +0000]
[PATCH] md: require CAP_SYS_ADMIN for (re-)configuring md devices via sysfs

The ioctl requires CAP_SYS_ADMIN, so sysfs should too.  Note that we don't
require CAP_SYS_ADMIN for reading attributes even though the ioctl does.
There is no reason to limit the read access, and much of the information is
already available via /proc/mdstat

Cc: Chris Wright <chrisw@sous-sol.org>
Signed-off-by: Neil Brown <neilb@suse.de>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

13 years ago[PATCH] md: unify usage of symbolic names for perms
NeilBrown [Mon, 10 Jul 2006 11:44:18 +0000]
[PATCH] md: unify usage of symbolic names for perms

Some places we use number (0660) someplaces names (S_IRUGO).  Change all
numbers to be names, and change 0655 to be what it should be.

Also make some formatting more consistent.

Signed-off-by: Neil Brown <neilb@suse.de>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

13 years ago[PATCH] md: fix usage of wrong variable in raid1
NeilBrown [Mon, 10 Jul 2006 11:44:18 +0000]
[PATCH] md: fix usage of wrong variable in raid1

Though it rarely matters, we should be using 's' rather than r1_bio->sector
here.

Signed-off-by: Neil Brown <neilb@suse.de>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

13 years ago[PATCH] md: fix some small races in bitmap plugging in raid5
NeilBrown [Mon, 10 Jul 2006 11:44:17 +0000]
[PATCH] md: fix some small races in bitmap plugging in raid5

The comment gives more details, but I didn't quite have the sequencing write,
so there was room for races to leave bits unset in the on-disk bitmap for
short periods of time.

Signed-off-by: Neil Brown <neilb@suse.de>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

13 years ago[PATCH] md: fix a plug/unplug race in raid5
NeilBrown [Mon, 10 Jul 2006 11:44:16 +0000]
[PATCH] md: fix a plug/unplug race in raid5

When a device is unplugged, requests are moved from one or two (depending on
whether a bitmap is in use) queues to the main request queue.

So whenever requests are put on either of those queues, we should make sure
the raid5 array is 'plugged'.  However we don't.  We currently plug the raid5
queue just before putting requests on queues, so there is room for a race.  If
something unplugs the queue at just the wrong time, requests will be left on
the queue and nothing will want to unplug them.  Normally something else will
plug and unplug the queue fairly soon, but there is a risk that nothing will.

Signed-off-by: Neil Brown <neilb@suse.de>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

13 years ago[PATCH] md: fix resync speed calculation for restarted resyncs
NeilBrown [Mon, 10 Jul 2006 11:44:16 +0000]
[PATCH] md: fix resync speed calculation for restarted resyncs

We introduced 'io_sectors' recently so we could count the sectors that causes
io during resync separate from sectors which didn't cause IO - there can be a
difference if a bitmap is being used to accelerate resync.

However when a speed is reported, we find the number of sectors processed
recently by subtracting an oldish io_sectors count from a current
'curr_resync' count.  This is wrong because curr_resync counts all sectors,
not just io sectors.

So, add a field to mddev to store the curren io_sectors separately from
curr_resync, and use that in the calculations.

Signed-off-by: Neil Brown <neilb@suse.de>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

13 years ago[PATCH] md: delay starting md threads until array is completely setup
NeilBrown [Mon, 10 Jul 2006 11:44:15 +0000]
[PATCH] md: delay starting md threads until array is completely setup

When an array is started we start one or two threads (two if there is a
reshape or recovery that needs to be completed).

We currently start these *before* the array is completely set up and in
particular before queue->queuedata is set.  If the thread actually starts
very quickly on another CPU, we can end up dereferencing queue->queuedata
and oops.

This patch also makes sure we don't try to start a recovery if a reshape is
being restarted.

Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

13 years ago[PATCH] md: set desc_nr correctly for version-1 superblocks
NeilBrown [Mon, 10 Jul 2006 11:44:14 +0000]
[PATCH] md: set desc_nr correctly for version-1 superblocks

This has to be done in ->load_super, not ->validate_super

Without this, hot-adding devices to an array doesn't always
work right - though there is a work around in mdadm-2.5.2 to
make this less of an issue.

Signed-off-by: Neil Brown <neilb@suse.de>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

13 years ago[PATCH] md: possible fix for unplug problem
NeilBrown [Mon, 10 Jul 2006 11:44:14 +0000]
[PATCH] md: possible fix for unplug problem

I have reports of a problem with raid5 which turns out to be because the raid5
device gets stuck in a 'plugged' state.  This shouldn't be able to happen as
3msec after it gets plugged it should get unplugged.  However it happens
none-the-less.  This patch fixes the problem and is a reasonable thing to do,
though it might hurt performance slightly in some cases.

Until I can find the real problem, we should probably have this workaround in
place.

Signed-off-by: Neil Brown <neilb@suse.de>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

13 years ago[PATCH] tty: Remove include of screen_info.h from tty.h
Jon Smirl [Mon, 10 Jul 2006 11:44:13 +0000]
[PATCH] tty: Remove include of screen_info.h from tty.h

screen_info.h doesn't have anything to do with the tty layer and shouldn't be
included by tty.h.  This patches removes the include and modifies all users to
directly include screen_info.h.  struct screen_info is mainly used to
communicate with the console drivers in drivers/video/console.  Note that this
patch touches every arch and I have no way of testing it.  If there is a
mistake the worst thing that will happen is a compile error.

[akpm@osdl.org: fix arm build]
[akpm@osdl.org: fix alpha build]
Signed-off-by: Jon Smirl <jonsmir@gmail.com>
Signed-off-by: Antonino Daplas <adaplas@pol.net>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

13 years ago[PATCH] vt: Remove VT-specific declarations and definitions from tty.h
Jon Smirl [Mon, 10 Jul 2006 11:44:12 +0000]
[PATCH] vt: Remove VT-specific declarations and definitions from tty.h

MAX_NR_CONSOLES, fg_console, want_console and last_console are more of a
function of the VT layer than the TTY one.  Moving these to vt.h and vt_kern.h
allows all of the framebuffer and VT console drivers to remove their
dependency on tty.h.

[akpm@osdl.org: fix alpha build]
Signed-off-by: Jon Smirl <jonsmir@gmail.com>
Signed-off-by: Antonino Daplas <adaplas@pol.net>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

13 years ago[PATCH] hisax: fix usage of __init*
Karsten Keil [Mon, 10 Jul 2006 11:44:11 +0000]
[PATCH] hisax: fix usage of __init*

Fix the warnings about the section mismatches for __init* in the HiSax
driver.

Signed-off-by: Karsten Keil <kkeil@suse.de>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

13 years ago[PATCH] Updates CREDITS file
Luiz Fernando N. Capitulino [Mon, 10 Jul 2006 11:44:11 +0000]
[PATCH] Updates CREDITS file

Updates my personal entry in the CREDITS file.

Signed-off-by: Luiz Fernando N. Capitulino <lcapitulino@mandriva.com.br>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

13 years ago[PATCH] release_firmware() fixes
Magnus Damm [Mon, 10 Jul 2006 11:44:09 +0000]
[PATCH] release_firmware() fixes

Use release_firmware() to free requested resources.

According to Documentation/firmware_class/README the request_firmware()
call should be followed by a release_firmware().  Some drivers do not
however free the firmware previously allocated with request_firmware().
This patch tries to fix this by making sure that release_firmware() is used
as expected.

Signed-off-by: Magnus Damm <magnus@valinux.co.jp>
Acked-by: Marcel Holtmann <marcel@holtmann.org>
Cc: Mauro Carvalho Chehab <mchehab@infradead.org>
Cc: "John W. Linville" <linville@tuxdriver.com>
Cc: Greg KH <greg@kroah.com>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

13 years ago[PATCH] cdrom: fix bad cgc.buflen assignment
Jens Axboe [Mon, 10 Jul 2006 11:44:08 +0000]
[PATCH] cdrom: fix bad cgc.buflen assignment

The code really means to mask off the high bits, not assign 0xff.

Signed-off-by: Jens Axboe <axboe@suse.de>
Cc: Marcus Meissner <meissner@suse.de>
Cc: <stable@kernel.org>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

13 years ago[PATCH] VFS documentation tweak
Jonathan Corbet [Mon, 10 Jul 2006 11:44:07 +0000]
[PATCH] VFS documentation tweak

As I was looking over the get_sb() changes, I stumbled across a little
mistake in the documentation updates.  Unless we're getting into an
interesting new object-oriented realm, I doubt that get_sb() should really
return "struct int"...

Signed-off-by: Jonathan Corbet <corbet@lwn.net>
Acked-by: David Howells <dhowells@redhat.com>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

13 years ago[PATCH] RCU Documentation fix
Urs Thuermann [Mon, 10 Jul 2006 11:44:06 +0000]
[PATCH] RCU Documentation fix

Updater should use _rcu variant of list_del().

Signed-off-by: Urs Thuermann <urs@isnogud.escape.de>
Acked-by: "Paul E. McKenney" <paulmck@us.ibm.com>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

13 years ago[PATCH] put a comment at register_die_notifier that the export is used
Arjan van de Ven [Mon, 10 Jul 2006 11:44:05 +0000]
[PATCH] put a comment at register_die_notifier that the export is used

{un}register_die_notifier() is used by kdb... document this so that future
"remove dead export" rounds can skip this export.

Signed-off-by: Arjan van de Ven <arjan@linux.intel.com>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

13 years ago[PATCH] lockdep: clean up completion initializer in smpboot.c
Ingo Molnar [Mon, 10 Jul 2006 11:44:05 +0000]
[PATCH] lockdep: clean up completion initializer in smpboot.c

Clean up lockdep on-stack-completion initializer.  (This also removes the
dependency on waitqueue_lock_key.)

Signed-off-by: Ingo Molnar <mingo@elte.hu>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

13 years ago[PATCH] lockdep: core, reduce per-lock class-cache size
Ingo Molnar [Mon, 10 Jul 2006 11:44:04 +0000]
[PATCH] lockdep: core, reduce per-lock class-cache size

lockdep_map is embedded into every lock, which blows up data structure
sizes all around the kernel.  Reduce the class-cache to be for the default
class only - that is used in 99.9% of the cases and even if we dont have a
class cached, the lookup in the class-hash is lockless.

This change reduces the per-lock dep_map overhead by 56 bytes on 64-bit
platforms and by 28 bytes on 32-bit platforms.

Signed-off-by: Ingo Molnar <mingo@elte.hu>
Cc: Arjan van de Ven <arjan@linux.intel.com>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

13 years ago[PATCH] lockdep: improve debug output
Arjan van de Ven [Mon, 10 Jul 2006 11:44:03 +0000]
[PATCH] lockdep: improve debug output

Make lockdep print which lock is held, in the "kfree() of a live lock"
scenario.

Signed-off-by: Arjan van de Ven <arjan@linux.intel.com>
Signed-off-by: Ingo Molnar <mingo@elte.hu>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

13 years ago[PATCH] lockdep: add more rwsem.h documentation
Ingo Molnar [Mon, 10 Jul 2006 11:44:02 +0000]
[PATCH] lockdep: add more rwsem.h documentation

Add more documentation to rwsem.h.

Signed-off-by: Ingo Molnar <mingo@elte.hu>
Cc: David Howells <dhowells@redhat.com>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

13 years ago[PATCH] Minor cleanup to lockdep.c
Andi Kleen [Mon, 10 Jul 2006 11:44:01 +0000]
[PATCH] Minor cleanup to lockdep.c

- Use printk formatting for indentation
- Don't leave NTFS in the default event filter

Signed-off-by: Andi Kleen <ak@suse.de>
Acked-by: Ingo Molnar <mingo@elte.hu>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

13 years ago[PATCH] fadvise: remove dead comments
Andrew Morton [Mon, 10 Jul 2006 11:44:01 +0000]
[PATCH] fadvise: remove dead comments

Cc: "Michael Kerrisk" <mtk-manpages@gmx.net>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

13 years ago[PATCH] partitions: let partitions inherit policy from disk
Peter Oberparleiter [Mon, 10 Jul 2006 11:44:00 +0000]
[PATCH] partitions: let partitions inherit policy from disk

Change the partition code in fs/partitions/check.c to initialize a newly
detected partition's policy field with that of the containing block device
(see patch below).

My reasoning is that function set_disk_ro() in block/genhd.c modifies the
policy field (read-only indicator) of a disk and all contained partitions.
When a partition is detected after the call to set_disk_ro(), the policy
field of this partition will currently not inherit the disk's policy field.
 This behavior poses a problem in cases where a block device can be
'logically de- and reactivated' like e.g.  the s390 DASD driver because
partition detection may run after the policy field has been modified.

Signed-off-by: Peter Oberparleiter <peter.oberparleiter@de.ibm.com>
Acked-by: Al Viro <viro@ftp.linux.org.uk>
Makes-sense-to: Jens Axboe <axboe@suse.de>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

13 years ago[PATCH] Add Specialix IO8+ card support hotplug support
Chuck Short [Mon, 10 Jul 2006 11:43:59 +0000]
[PATCH] Add Specialix IO8+ card support hotplug support

Patch Description:
Add "Specialix IO8+ card support" hotplug support

patch location:
http://www.kernel.org/git/?p=linux/kernel/git/bcollins/ubuntu-dapper.git;a=commitdiff;h=d795cfc591bb44f6b3d86d8f054a227cecb44bb4

[akpm@osdl.org: cleanup]
Cc: Randy Dunlap <randy.dunlap@oracle.com>
Signed-off-by: Chuck Short <zulcss@gmail.com>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

13 years ago[PATCH] Add Computone IntelliPort Plus serial hotplug support
Chuck Short [Mon, 10 Jul 2006 11:43:59 +0000]
[PATCH] Add Computone IntelliPort Plus serial hotplug support

Patch Description:
Add "Computone IntelliPort Plus serial" hotplug support

patch location:
http://www.kernel.org/git/?p=linux/kernel/git/bcollins/ubuntu-dapper.git;a=commitdiff;h=8c36723187c0fa5efe0e5c6a9b1e66ed4b824792

[akpm@osdl.org: cleanup]
Cc: Randy Dunlap <randy.dunlap@oracle.com>
Signed-off-by: Chuck Short <zulcss@gmail.com>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

13 years ago[PATCH] nfs: Update Documentation/nfsroot.txt to include dhcp, syslinux and isolinux
Horms [Mon, 10 Jul 2006 11:43:58 +0000]
[PATCH] nfs: Update Documentation/nfsroot.txt to include dhcp, syslinux and isolinux

* Document the ip command a little differently to make the
  interaction between defaults and autoconfiguration a little clearer
  (I hope)

* Update autoconfiguration the current set of options, including DHCP

* Update the boot methods to add syslinux and isolinux, and remove
  dd of=/dev/fd0 which is no longer supported by linux

* Add a referance to initramfs along side initrd.
  Should the latter and its document be removed some time soon?

* Various cleanups to put the text consistently into the thrid person

* Reformated a bit to fit into 80 columns a bit more nicely

* Should the bootloaders documentation be removed or split
  into a separate documentation, it seems somewhat out of scope

Signed-off-by: Horms <horms@verge.net.au>
Cc: "H. Peter Anvin" <hpa@zytor.com>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

13 years ago[PATCH] reiserfs: fix journaling issue regarding fsync()
Hisashi Hifumi [Mon, 10 Jul 2006 11:43:56 +0000]
[PATCH] reiserfs: fix journaling issue regarding fsync()

When write() extends a file(i_size is increased) and fsync() is called,
change of inode must be written to journaling area through fsync().
But,currently the i_trans_id is not correctly updated when i_size is
increased.  So fsync() does not kick the journal writer.

Reiserfs_file_write() already updates the transaction when blocks are
allocated, but the case when i_size increases and new blocks are not added
is not correctly treated.

Following patch fix this bug.

Signed-off-by: Hisashi Hifumi <hifumi.hisashi@oss.ntt.co.jp>
Cc: Jeff Mahoney <jeffm@suse.com>
Cc: Chris Mason <mason@suse.com>
Cc: Hans Reiser <reiser@namesys.com>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

13 years ago[PATCH] SELinux: add rootcontext= option to label root inode when mounting
Eric Paris [Mon, 10 Jul 2006 11:43:55 +0000]
[PATCH] SELinux: add rootcontext= option to label root inode when mounting

Introduce a new rootcontext= option to FS mounting.  This option will allow
you to explicitly label the root inode of an FS being mounted before that
FS or inode because visible to userspace.  This was found to be useful for
things like stateless linux, see
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=190001

Signed-off-by: Eric Paris <eparis@parisplace.org>
Acked-by: Stephen Smalley <sds@tycho.nsa.gov>
Signed-off-by: James Morris <jmorris@namei.org>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

13 years ago[PATCH] SELinux: decouple fscontext/context mount options
Eric Paris [Mon, 10 Jul 2006 11:43:53 +0000]
[PATCH] SELinux: decouple fscontext/context mount options

Remove the conflict between fscontext and context mount options.  If
context= is specified without fscontext it will operate just as before, if
both are specified we will use mount point labeling and all inodes will get
the label specified by context=.  The superblock will be labeled with the
label of fscontext=, thus affecting operations which check the superblock
security context, such as associate permissions.

Signed-off-by: Eric Paris <eparis@parisplace.org>
Acked-by: Stephen Smalley <sds@tycho.nsa.gov>
Signed-off-by: James Morris <jmorris@namei.org>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

13 years ago[PATCH] small kernel/sched.c cleanup
Andreas Mohr [Mon, 10 Jul 2006 11:43:52 +0000]
[PATCH] small kernel/sched.c cleanup

- constify and optimize stat_nam (thanks to Michael Tokarev!)
- spelling and comment fixes

Signed-off-by: Andreas Mohr <andi@lisas.de>
Acked-by: Ingo Molnar <mingo@elte.hu>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

13 years ago[PATCH] sched: fix bug in __migrate_task()
Peter Williams [Mon, 10 Jul 2006 11:43:51 +0000]
[PATCH] sched: fix bug in __migrate_task()

Problem:

In the function __migrate_task(), deactivate_task() followed by
activate_task() is used to move the task from one run queue to
another.  This has two undesirable effects:

1. The task's priority is recalculated. (Nowhere else in the
scheduler code is the priority recalculated for a change of CPU.)

2. The task's time stamp is set to the current time.  At the very least,
this makes the adjustment of the time stamp before the call to
deactivate_task() redundant but I believe the problem is more serious
as the time stamp now holds the time of the queue change instead of
the time at which the task was woken.  In addition, unless dest_rq is
the same queue as "current" is on the time stamp could be inaccurate
due to inter CPU drift.

Solution:

Replace the call to activate_task() with one to __activate_task().

Signed-off-by: Peter Williams <pwil3058@bigpond.net.au>
Cc: Ingo Molnar <mingo@elte.hu>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

13 years ago[PATCH] count_vm_events() fix
Andrew Morton [Mon, 10 Jul 2006 11:43:50 +0000]
[PATCH] count_vm_events() fix

Dopey bug.  Causes hopelessly-wrong numbers from vmstat(8) and several other
counters.

Cc: Christoph Lameter <clameter@engr.sgi.com>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

13 years ago[PATCH] x86_64: e820.c needs pgtable.h
Andrew Morton [Mon, 10 Jul 2006 11:43:49 +0000]
[PATCH] x86_64: e820.c needs pgtable.h

arch/x86_64/kernel/e820.c:42: error: 'MAXMEM' undeclared here (not in a function)

Cc: Andi Kleen <ak@muc.de>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

13 years ago[PATCH] don't select CONFIG_HOTPLUG
Andrew Morton [Mon, 10 Jul 2006 11:43:48 +0000]
[PATCH] don't select CONFIG_HOTPLUG

It's useful to be able to turn off CONFIG_HOTPLUG for compile-coverage testing
and for section-checking coverage.  But a few things go and select
CONFIG_HOTPLUG, making it a royal PITA to turn the thing off.

It's only turnable offable if CONFIG_EMBEDDED anyway.  So let's make those
things depend on HOTPLUG, not select it.

Cc: Greg KH <greg@kroah.com>
Cc: Dominik Brodowski <linux@dominikbrodowski.net>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

13 years ago[PATCH] i386: use thread_info flags for debug regs and IO bitmaps
Stephane Eranian [Mon, 10 Jul 2006 01:12:39 +0000]
[PATCH] i386: use thread_info flags for debug regs and IO bitmaps

Use thread info flags to track use of debug registers and IO bitmaps.

 - add TIF_DEBUG to track when debug registers are active
 - add TIF_IO_BITMAP to track when I/O bitmap is used
 - modify __switch_to() to use the new TIF flags

Performance tested on Pentium II, ten runs of LMbench context switch
benchmark (smaller is better:)

before after
avg 3.65 3.39
min 3.55 3.33

Signed-off-by: Stephane Eranian <eranian@hpl.hp.com>
Signed-off-by: Chuck Ebbert <76306.1226@compuserve.com>
Acked-by: Andi Kleen <ak@suse.de>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

13 years agoMerge commit master.kernel.org:/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/davem/net-2.6 of HEAD
Linus Torvalds [Sun, 9 Jul 2006 22:50:41 +0000]
Merge commit /linux/kernel/git/davem/net-2.6 of HEAD

* HEAD:
  [AX.25]: Use kzalloc
  [ATM] net/atm/clip.c: fix PROC_FS=n compile
  [PKT_SCHED]: act_api: Fix module leak while flushing actions
  [NET]: Fix IPv4/DECnet routing rule dumping
  [NET] gso: Fix up GSO packets with broken checksums
  [NET] gso: Add skb_is_gso
  [IRDA]: fix drivers/net/irda/ali-ircc.c:ali_ircc_init()
  [ATM]: fix possible recursive locking in skb_migrate()
  [ATM]: Typo in drivers/atm/Kconfig...
  [TG3]: add amd8131 to "write reorder" chipsets
  [NET]: Fix network device interface printk message priority

13 years agoMerge branch 'upstream-linus' of master.kernel.org:/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/jgarzik...
Linus Torvalds [Sun, 9 Jul 2006 22:50:06 +0000]
Merge branch 'upstream-linus' of /linux/kernel/git/jgarzik/netdev-2.6

* 'upstream-linus' of master.kernel.org:/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/jgarzik/netdev-2.6: (23 commits)
  [PATCH] 8139too deadlock fix
  [netdrvr] 3c59x: snip changelog from source code
  e1000: increase version to 7.1.9-k2
  e1000: add ich8lan device ID's
  e1000: allow user to disable ich8 lock loss workaround
  e1000: integrate ich8 support into driver
  e1000: add ich8lan core functions
  e1000: disable ERT
  e1000: check return value of _get_speed_and_duplex
  e1000: M88 PHY workaround
  e1000: fix adapter led blinking inconsistency
  e1000: disable CRC stripping workaround
  e1000: force register write flushes to circumvent broken platforms
  e1000: rework module param code with uninitialized values
  e1000: recycle skb
  e1000: change printk into DPRINTK
  e1000: add smart power down code
  e1000: small performance tweak by removing double code
  e1000: fix CONFIG_PM blocks
  e1000: Make PHY powerup/down a function
  ...

13 years agoMerge branch 'blktrace' of git://brick.kernel.dk/data/git/linux-2.6-block
Linus Torvalds [Sun, 9 Jul 2006 22:49:36 +0000]
Merge branch 'blktrace' of git://brick.kernel.dk/data/git/linux-2.6-block

* 'blktrace' of git://brick.kernel.dk/data/git/linux-2.6-block:
  [PATCH] Only the first two bits in bio->bi_rw and rq->flags match
  [PATCH] blktrace: readahead support
  [PATCH] blktrace: fix barrier vs sync typo

13 years ago[AX.25]: Use kzalloc
Ralf Baechle [Sun, 9 Jul 2006 19:14:22 +0000]
[AX.25]: Use kzalloc

Replace kzalloc instead of kmalloc + memset.

Signed-off-by: Ralf Baechle <ralf@linux-mips.org>
Signed-off-by: David S. Miller <davem@davemloft.net>

13 years ago[ATM] net/atm/clip.c: fix PROC_FS=n compile
Adrian Bunk [Sun, 9 Jul 2006 19:13:18 +0000]
[ATM] net/atm/clip.c: fix PROC_FS=n compile

This patch fixes the following compile error with CONFIG_PROC_FS=n by
reverting commit dcdb02752ff13a64433c36f2937a58d93ae7a19e:

<--  snip  -->

...
CC net/atm/clip.o
net/atm/clip.c: In function ‘atm_clip_init’:
net/atm/clip.c:975: error: ‘atm_proc_root’ undeclared (first use in this function)
net/atm/clip.c:975: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
net/atm/clip.c:975: error: for each function it appears in.)
net/atm/clip.c:977: error: ‘arp_seq_fops’ undeclared (first use in this function)
make[2]: *** [net/atm/clip.o] Error 1

<--  snip  -->

Signed-off-by: Adrian Bunk <bunk@stusta.de>
Signed-off-by: David S. Miller <davem@davemloft.net>

13 years ago[PKT_SCHED]: act_api: Fix module leak while flushing actions
Thomas Graf [Sun, 9 Jul 2006 18:36:23 +0000]
[PKT_SCHED]: act_api: Fix module leak while flushing actions

Module reference needs to be given back if message header
construction fails.

Signed-off-by: Thomas Graf <tgraf@suug.ch>
Signed-off-by: David S. Miller <davem@davemloft.net>

13 years agoRevert "ACPI: dock driver"
Linus Torvalds [Sun, 9 Jul 2006 15:47:46 +0000]
Revert "ACPI: dock driver"

This reverts commit a5e1b94008f2a96abf4a0c0371a55a56b320c13e.

Adrian Bunk points out that it has build errors, and apparently no
maintenance. Throw it out.

Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

13 years agoi386: improve and correct inline asm memory constraints
Linus Torvalds [Sat, 8 Jul 2006 22:24:18 +0000]
i386: improve and correct inline asm memory constraints

Use "+m" rather than a combination of "=m" and "m" for improved clarity
and consistency.

This also fixes some inlines that incorrectly didn't tell the compiler
that they read the old value at all, potentially causing the compiler to
generate bogus code.  It appear that all of those potential bugs were
hidden by the use of extra "volatile" specifiers on the data structures
in question, though.

Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

13 years agopower: improve inline asm memory constraints
Linus Torvalds [Sat, 8 Jul 2006 22:00:28 +0000]
power: improve inline asm memory constraints

Use "+m" rather than a combination of "=m" and "m" for improved
clarity and consistency.

Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

13 years ago[NET]: Fix IPv4/DECnet routing rule dumping
Patrick McHardy [Sat, 8 Jul 2006 20:38:55 +0000]
[NET]: Fix IPv4/DECnet routing rule dumping

When more rules are present than fit in a single skb, the remaining
rules are incorrectly skipped.

Signed-off-by: Patrick McHardy <kaber@trash.net>
Signed-off-by: David S. Miller <davem@davemloft.net>

13 years ago[NET] gso: Fix up GSO packets with broken checksums
Herbert Xu [Sat, 8 Jul 2006 20:34:56 +0000]
[NET] gso: Fix up GSO packets with broken checksums

Certain subsystems in the stack (e.g., netfilter) can break the partial
checksum on GSO packets.  Until they're fixed, this patch allows this to
work by recomputing the partial checksums through the GSO mechanism.

Once they've all been converted to update the partial checksum instead of
clearing it, this workaround can be removed.

Signed-off-by: Herbert Xu <herbert@gondor.apana.org.au>
Signed-off-by: David S. Miller <davem@davemloft.net>

13 years ago[NET] gso: Add skb_is_gso
Herbert Xu [Sat, 8 Jul 2006 20:34:32 +0000]
[NET] gso: Add skb_is_gso

This patch adds the wrapper function skb_is_gso which can be used instead
of directly testing skb_shinfo(skb)->gso_size.  This makes things a little
nicer and allows us to change the primary key for indicating whether an skb
is GSO (if we ever want to do that).

Signed-off-by: Herbert Xu <herbert@gondor.apana.org.au>
Signed-off-by: David S. Miller <davem@davemloft.net>

13 years ago[IRDA]: fix drivers/net/irda/ali-ircc.c:ali_ircc_init()
Adrian Bunk [Sat, 8 Jul 2006 20:33:28 +0000]
[IRDA]: fix drivers/net/irda/ali-ircc.c:ali_ircc_init()

The Coverity checker spotted, that from the changes from commit
898b1d16f8230fb912a0c2248df685735c6ceda3 the
       if (ret)
               platform_driver_unregister(&ali_ircc_driver);
was dead code.

This patch changes this function to what seems to have been the
intention.

Signed-off-by: Adrian Bunk <bunk@stusta.de>
Signed-off-by: David S. Miller <davem@davemloft.net>

13 years ago[ATM]: fix possible recursive locking in skb_migrate()
Arjan van de Ven [Sat, 8 Jul 2006 20:30:52 +0000]
[ATM]: fix possible recursive locking in skb_migrate()

ok this is a real potential deadlock in a way, it takes two locks of 2
skbuffs without doing any kind of lock ordering; I think the following
patch should fix it. Just sort the lock taking order by address of the
skb.. it's not pretty but it's the best this can do in a minimally
invasive way.

Signed-off-by: Arjan van de Ven <arjan@linux.intel.com>
Signed-off-by: Chas Williams <chas@cmf.nrl.navy.mil>
Signed-off-by: David S. Miller <davem@davemloft.net>

13 years ago[ATM]: Typo in drivers/atm/Kconfig...
Matt LaPlante [Sat, 8 Jul 2006 20:30:09 +0000]
[ATM]: Typo in drivers/atm/Kconfig...

From: Matt LaPlante <kernel1@cyberdogtech.com>
Signed-off-by: Charles Williams <chas@cmf.nrl.navy.mil>
Signed-off-by: David S. Miller <davem@davemloft.net>

13 years ago[TG3]: add amd8131 to "write reorder" chipsets
John W. Linville [Sat, 8 Jul 2006 20:28:53 +0000]
[TG3]: add amd8131 to "write reorder" chipsets

Add the AMD 8131 bridge to the list of chipsets that reorder writes.

Signed-off-by: John W. Linville <linville@tuxdriver.com>
Acked-by: Michael Chan <mchan@broadcom.com>
Signed-off-by: David S. Miller <davem@davemloft.net>

13 years ago[NET]: Fix network device interface printk message priority
Stephen Hemminger [Fri, 7 Jul 2006 23:54:05 +0000]
[NET]: Fix network device interface printk message priority

The printk's in the network device interface code should all be tagged
with severity.

Signed-off-by: Stephen Hemminger <shemminger@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: David S. Miller <davem@davemloft.net>

13 years ago[PATCH] Fix cpufreq vs hotplug lockdep recursion.
Dave Jones [Fri, 7 Jul 2006 16:31:27 +0000]
[PATCH] Fix cpufreq vs hotplug lockdep recursion.

[ There's some not quite baked bits in cpufreq-git right now
  so sending this on as a patch instead ]

On Thu, 2006-07-06 at 07:58 -0700, Tom London wrote:

> After installing .2356 I get this each time I boot:
> =======================================================
> [ INFO: possible circular locking dependency detected ]
> -------------------------------------------------------
> S06cpuspeed/1620 is trying to acquire lock:
>  (dbs_mutex){--..}, at: [<c060d6bb>] mutex_lock+0x21/0x24
>
> but task is already holding lock:
>  (cpucontrol){--..}, at: [<c060d6bb>] mutex_lock+0x21/0x24
>
> which lock already depends on the new lock.
>

make sure the cpu hotplug recursive mutex (yuck) is taken early in the
cpufreq codepaths to avoid a AB-BA deadlock.

Signed-off-by: Arjan van de Ven <arjan@linux.intel.com>
Signed-off-by: Dave Jones <davej@redhat.com>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

13 years agoMerge branch 'master' into upstream
Jeff Garzik [Thu, 6 Jul 2006 17:07:32 +0000]
Merge branch 'master' into upstream

13 years ago[PATCH] Only the first two bits in bio->bi_rw and rq->flags match
Jens Axboe [Thu, 6 Jul 2006 08:18:05 +0000]
[PATCH] Only the first two bits in bio->bi_rw and rq->flags match

Not three, as assumed. This causes the barrier bit to be needlessly set
for some IO.

Signed-off-by: Jens Axboe <axboe@suse.de>

13 years ago[PATCH] blktrace: readahead support
Nathan Scott [Thu, 6 Jul 2006 08:03:28 +0000]
[PATCH] blktrace: readahead support

Provide the needed kernel support for distinguishing readahead
from regular read requests when tracing block devices.

Signed-off-by: Nathan Scott <nathans@sgi.com>
Signed-off-by: Jens Axboe <axboe@suse.de>

13 years ago[PATCH] blktrace: fix barrier vs sync typo
Nathan Scott [Thu, 6 Jul 2006 07:56:30 +0000]
[PATCH] blktrace: fix barrier vs sync typo

Signed-off-by: Nathan Scott <nathans@sgi.com>
Signed-off-by: Jens Axboe <axboe@suse.de>

13 years agoLinux 2.6.18-rc1
Linus Torvalds [Thu, 6 Jul 2006 04:09:49 +0000]
Linux 2.6.18-rc1

It's all good.

13 years agoMerge master.kernel.org:/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/davem/net-2.6
Linus Torvalds [Thu, 6 Jul 2006 04:08:43 +0000]
Merge /pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/davem/net-2.6

* master.kernel.org:/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/davem/net-2.6:
  [PKT_SCHED]: Fix error handling while dumping actions
  [PKT_SCHED]: Return ENOENT if action module is unavailable
  [PKT_SCHED]: Fix illegal memory dereferences when dumping actions

13 years agoMerge master.kernel.org:/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/davem/sparc-2.6
Linus Torvalds [Thu, 6 Jul 2006 04:08:35 +0000]
Merge /pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/davem/sparc-2.6

* master.kernel.org:/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/davem/sparc-2.6:
  [SPARC64]: Fix stack overflow checking in modular non-SMP kernels.
  [SPARC64]: Fix sparc64 build errors when CONFIG_PCI=n.

13 years ago[PKT_SCHED]: Fix error handling while dumping actions
Thomas Graf [Thu, 6 Jul 2006 03:47:28 +0000]
[PKT_SCHED]: Fix error handling while dumping actions

"return -err" and blindly inheriting the error code in the netlink
failure exception handler causes errors codes to be returned as
positive value therefore making them being ignored by the caller.

May lead to sending out incomplete netlink messages.

Signed-off-by: Thomas Graf <tgraf@suug.ch>
Signed-off-by: David S. Miller <davem@davemloft.net>

13 years ago[PKT_SCHED]: Return ENOENT if action module is unavailable
Thomas Graf [Thu, 6 Jul 2006 03:45:57 +0000]
[PKT_SCHED]: Return ENOENT if action module is unavailable

Signed-off-by: Thomas Graf <tgraf@suug.ch>
Signed-off-by: David S. Miller <davem@davemloft.net>

13 years ago[PKT_SCHED]: Fix illegal memory dereferences when dumping actions
Thomas Graf [Thu, 6 Jul 2006 03:45:06 +0000]
[PKT_SCHED]: Fix illegal memory dereferences when dumping actions

The TCA_ACT_KIND attribute is used without checking its
availability when dumping actions therefore leading to a
value of 0x4 being dereferenced.

The use of strcmp() in tc_lookup_action_n() isn't safe
when fed with string from an attribute without enforcing
proper NUL termination.

Both bugs can be triggered with malformed netlink message
and don't require any privileges.

Signed-off-by: Thomas Graf <tgraf@suug.ch>
Signed-off-by: David S. Miller <davem@davemloft.net>

13 years ago[SPARC64]: Fix stack overflow checking in modular non-SMP kernels.
Mikael Pettersson [Thu, 6 Jul 2006 03:42:58 +0000]
[SPARC64]: Fix stack overflow checking in modular non-SMP kernels.

The sparc64 kernel's EXPORT_SYMBOL(_mcount) is inside an
#ifdef CONFIG_SMP. This breaks modules in non-SMP kernels
built with stack overflow checking (CONFIG_STACK_DEBUG=y),
as modules_install reports:

WARNING: /lib/modules/2.6.17/kernel/drivers/ide/ide-cd.ko needs unknown symbol _mcount

Trivially fixed by moving EXPORT_SYMBOL(_mcount) outside of
the #ifdef CONFIG_SMP.

Signed-off-by: Mikael Pettersson <mikpe@it.uu.se>
Signed-off-by: David S. Miller <davem@davemloft.net>

13 years agoMerge branch 'upstream-linus' of master.kernel.org:/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/jgarzik...
Linus Torvalds [Thu, 6 Jul 2006 03:19:30 +0000]
Merge branch 'upstream-linus' of /linux/kernel/git/jgarzik/libata-dev

* 'upstream-linus' of master.kernel.org:/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/jgarzik/libata-dev:
  [PCI] Add JMicron PCI ID constants
  [PATCH] ahci: Ensure that we don't grab both functions
  [PATCH] libata-core.c: restore configuration boot messages in ata_dev_configure(), v2
  [PATCH] sata_sil24: add suspend/sleep support
  [PATCH] sata_sil24: separate out sil24_init_controller()
  [PATCH] sata_sil: add suspend/sleep support
  [PATCH] sata_sil: separate out sil_init_controller()
  [PATCH] libata: reimplement controller-wide PM
  [PATCH] libata: reimplement per-dev PM
  [PATCH] libata: implement PM EH actions
  [PATCH] libata: separate out __ata_ehi_hotplugged()
  [PATCH] libata: implement ATA_EHI_NO_AUTOPSY and QUIET
  [PATCH] libata: clean up debounce parameters and improve parameter selection
  [PATCH] libata: implement ATA_EHI_RESUME_LINK
  [PATCH] libata: replace ap_lock w/ ap->lock in ata_scsi_error()
  [PATCH] libata: fix ehc->i.action setting in ata_eh_autopsy()
  [PATCH] libata: add ap->pflags and move core dynamic flags to it
  [PATCH] libata: Conditionally set host->max_cmd_len
  [PATCH] sata_vsc: data_xfer should use mmio

13 years ago[SPARC64]: Fix sparc64 build errors when CONFIG_PCI=n.
Randy Dunlap [Thu, 6 Jul 2006 03:18:39 +0000]
[SPARC64]: Fix sparc64 build errors when CONFIG_PCI=n.

Signed-off-by: Randy Dunlap <rdunlap@xenotime.net>
Signed-off-by: David S. Miller <davem@davemloft.net>

13 years ago[PCI] Add JMicron PCI ID constants
Jeff Garzik [Thu, 6 Jul 2006 03:02:48 +0000]
[PCI] Add JMicron PCI ID constants

They will be used in several IDE/libata files.

Signed-off-by: Jeff Garzik <jeff@garzik.org>

13 years ago[PATCH] ahci: Ensure that we don't grab both functions
root [Thu, 6 Jul 2006 02:58:20 +0000]
[PATCH] ahci: Ensure that we don't grab both functions

When we force the chip into dual fn mode so we get PATA and AHCI we must
be sure we don't then do anything dumb like try and grab both with the AHCI
driver.

Signed-off-by: Alan Cox <alan@redhat.com>
Signed-off-by: Jeff Garzik <jeff@garzik.org>

13 years ago[PATCH] libata-core.c: restore configuration boot messages in ata_dev_configure(...
Borislav Petkov [Tue, 27 Jun 2006 12:51:25 +0000]
[PATCH] libata-core.c: restore configuration boot messages in ata_dev_configure(), v2

This one looks better, IMHO.

This restores the default libata configuration messages printed during booting.

Signed-off-by: <petkov@math.uni-muenster.de>
Signed-off-by: Jeff Garzik <jeff@garzik.org>

13 years ago[PATCH] sata_sil24: add suspend/sleep support
Tejun Heo [Mon, 3 Jul 2006 07:07:27 +0000]
[PATCH] sata_sil24: add suspend/sleep support

Add suspend/sleep support.

Signed-off-by: Tejun Heo <htejun@gmail.com>
Signed-off-by: Jeff Garzik <jeff@garzik.org>

13 years ago[PATCH] sata_sil24: separate out sil24_init_controller()
Tejun Heo [Mon, 3 Jul 2006 07:07:27 +0000]
[PATCH] sata_sil24: separate out sil24_init_controller()

Separate out controller initialization from sil24_init_one() into
sil24_init_controller().  This will be used by resume.

Signed-off-by: Tejun Heo <htejun@gmail.com>
Signed-off-by: Jeff Garzik <jeff@garzik.org>

13 years ago[PATCH] sata_sil: add suspend/sleep support
Tejun Heo [Mon, 3 Jul 2006 07:07:27 +0000]
[PATCH] sata_sil: add suspend/sleep support

Add suspend/sleep support.

Signed-off-by: Tejun Heo <htejun@gmail.com>
Signed-off-by: Jeff Garzik <jeff@garzik.org>

13 years ago[PATCH] sata_sil: separate out sil_init_controller()
Tejun Heo [Mon, 3 Jul 2006 07:07:27 +0000]
[PATCH] sata_sil: separate out sil_init_controller()

Separate out controller initialization from sil_init_one() into
sil_init_controller().  This will be used by resume.

Signed-off-by: Tejun Heo <htejun@gmail.com>
Signed-off-by: Jeff Garzik <jeff@garzik.org>

13 years ago[PATCH] libata: reimplement controller-wide PM
Tejun Heo [Mon, 3 Jul 2006 07:07:27 +0000]
[PATCH] libata: reimplement controller-wide PM

Reimplement controller-wide PM.  ata_host_set_suspend/resume() are
defined to suspend and resume a host_set.  While suspended, EHs for
all ports in the host_set are pegged using ATA_FLAG_SUSPENDED and
frozen.

Because SCSI device hotplug is done asynchronously against the rest of
libata EH and the same mutex is used when adding new device, suspend
cannot wait for hotplug to complete.  So, if SCSI device hotplug is in
progress, suspend fails with -EBUSY.

In most cases, host_set resume is followed by device resume.  As each
resume operation requires a reset, a single host_set-wide resume
operation may result in multiple resets.  To avoid this, resume waits
upto 1 second giving PM to request resume for devices.

Signed-off-by: Tejun Heo <htejun@gmail.com>
Signed-off-by: Jeff Garzik <jeff@garzik.org>

13 years ago[PATCH] libata: reimplement per-dev PM
Tejun Heo [Mon, 3 Jul 2006 07:07:26 +0000]
[PATCH] libata: reimplement per-dev PM

Reimplement per-dev PM.  The original implementation directly put the
device into suspended mode and didn't synchronize w/ EH operations
including hotplug.  This patch reimplements ata_scsi_device_suspend()
and ata_scsi_device_resume() such that they request EH to perform the
respective operations.  Both functions synchronize with hotplug such
that it doesn't operate on detached devices.

Suspend waits for completion but resume just issues request and
returns.  This allows parallel wake up of devices and thus speeds up
system resume.

Due to sdev detach synchronization, it's not feasible to separate out
EH requesting from sdev handling; thus, ata_device_suspend/resume()
are removed and everything is implemented in the respective
libata-scsi functions.

Signed-off-by: Tejun Heo <htejun@gmail.com>
Signed-off-by: Jeff Garzik <jeff@garzik.org>

13 years ago[PATCH] libata: implement PM EH actions
Tejun Heo [Mon, 3 Jul 2006 07:07:26 +0000]
[PATCH] libata: implement PM EH actions

Implement two PM per-dev EH actions - ATA_EH_SUSPEND and
ATA_EH_RESUME.  Each action puts the target device into suspended mode
and resumes from it respectively.

Once a device is put to suspended mode, no EH operations other than
RESUME is allowed on the device.  The device will stay suspended till
it gets resumed and thus reset and revalidated.  To implement this, a
new device state helper - ata_dev_ready() - is implemented and used in
EH action implementations to make them operate only on attached &
running devices.

If all possible devices on a port are suspended, reset is skipped too.
This prevents spurious events including hotplug events from disrupting
suspended devices.

Signed-off-by: Tejun Heo <htejun@gmail.com>
Signed-off-by: Jeff Garzik <jeff@garzik.org>

13 years ago[PATCH] libata: separate out __ata_ehi_hotplugged()
Tejun Heo [Mon, 3 Jul 2006 07:07:26 +0000]
[PATCH] libata: separate out __ata_ehi_hotplugged()

Separate out __ata_ehi_hotplugged() from ata_ehi_hotplugged().  The
underscored version doesn't set AC_ERR_ATA_BUS.  This will be used for
resume which is a hotplug event but not an ATA bus error.

Signed-off-by: Tejun Heo <htejun@gmail.com>
Signed-off-by: Jeff Garzik <jeff@garzik.org>

13 years ago[PATCH] libata: implement ATA_EHI_NO_AUTOPSY and QUIET
Tejun Heo [Mon, 3 Jul 2006 07:07:26 +0000]
[PATCH] libata: implement ATA_EHI_NO_AUTOPSY and QUIET

Implement ATA_EHI_NO_AUTOPSY and QUIET.  These used to be implied by
ATA_PFLAG_LOADING, but new power management and PMP support need to
use these separately.  e.g. Suspend/resume operations shouldn't print
full EH messages and resume shouldn't be recorded as an error.

Signed-off-by: Tejun Heo <htejun@gmail.com>
Signed-off-by: Jeff Garzik <jeff@garzik.org>

13 years ago[PATCH] libata: clean up debounce parameters and improve parameter selection
Tejun Heo [Mon, 3 Jul 2006 07:07:26 +0000]
[PATCH] libata: clean up debounce parameters and improve parameter selection

The names of predefined debounce timing parameters didn't exactly
match their usages.  Rename to more generic names and implement param
selection helper sata_ehc_deb_timing() which uses EHI_HOTPLUGGED to
select params.

Combined with the previous EHI_RESUME_LINK differentiation, this makes
parameter selection accurate.  e.g. user scan resumes link but normal
deb param is used instead of hotplug param.

Signed-off-by: Tejun Heo <htejun@gmail.com>
Signed-off-by: Jeff Garzik <jeff@garzik.org>

13 years ago[PATCH] libata: implement ATA_EHI_RESUME_LINK
Tejun Heo [Mon, 3 Jul 2006 07:07:26 +0000]
[PATCH] libata: implement ATA_EHI_RESUME_LINK

Implement ATA_EHI_RESUME_LINK, which indicates that the link needs to
be resumed.  This used to be implied by ATA_EHI_HOTPLUGGED.  However,
hotplug isn't the only event which requires link resume and separating
this out allows other places to request link resume.  This
differentiation also allows better debounce timing selection.

This patch converts user scan to use ATA_EHI_RESUME_LINK.

Signed-off-by: Tejun Heo <htejun@gmail.com>
Signed-off-by: Jeff Garzik <jeff@garzik.org>

13 years ago[PATCH] libata: replace ap_lock w/ ap->lock in ata_scsi_error()
Tejun Heo [Sun, 2 Jul 2006 18:02:15 +0000]
[PATCH] libata: replace ap_lock w/ ap->lock in ata_scsi_error()

ap_lock was used because &ap->host_set->lock was too long and used a
lot.  Now that &ap->host_set->lock is replaced with ap->lock, there's
no reason to keep ap_lock.

[ed. note: that's not entirely true.  ap_lock is a local variable,
caching the results of a de-ref.  In theory, if the compiler is smart
enough, this patch is cosmetic.  However, since this is not a fast
path (it is the error path), this patch is nonetheless acceptable,
even though it _may_ introduce a performance regression.]

Signed-off-by: Tejun Heo <htejun@gmail.com>
Signed-off-by: Jeff Garzik <jeff@garzik.org>

13 years ago[PATCH] libata: fix ehc->i.action setting in ata_eh_autopsy()
Tejun Heo [Sun, 2 Jul 2006 17:54:58 +0000]
[PATCH] libata: fix ehc->i.action setting in ata_eh_autopsy()

ata_eh_autopsy() used to directly assign determined action mask to
ehc->i.action thus overriding actions set by some of nested analyze
functions.  This patch makes ata_eh_autopsy() add action masks just as
it's done in other places.

Signed-off-by: Tejun Heo <htejun@gmail.com>
Signed-off-by: Jeff Garzik <jeff@garzik.org>