12 years ago[PATCH] mm: optimize the new mprotect() code a bit
Peter Zijlstra [Tue, 26 Sep 2006 06:30:59 +0000]
[PATCH] mm: optimize the new mprotect() code a bit

mprotect() resets the page protections, which could result in extra write
faults for those pages whose dirty state we track using write faults and are
dirty already.

Signed-off-by: Peter Zijlstra <a.p.zijlstra@chello.nl>
Cc: Hugh Dickins <hugh@veritas.com>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

12 years ago[PATCH] mm: balance dirty pages
Peter Zijlstra [Tue, 26 Sep 2006 06:30:58 +0000]
[PATCH] mm: balance dirty pages

Now that we can detect writers of shared mappings, throttle them.  Avoids OOM
by surprise.

Signed-off-by: Peter Zijlstra <a.p.zijlstra@chello.nl>
Cc: Hugh Dickins <hugh@veritas.com>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

12 years ago[PATCH] mm: tracking shared dirty pages
Peter Zijlstra [Tue, 26 Sep 2006 06:30:57 +0000]
[PATCH] mm: tracking shared dirty pages

Tracking of dirty pages in shared writeable mmap()s.

The idea is simple: write protect clean shared writeable pages, catch the
write-fault, make writeable and set dirty.  On page write-back clean all the
PTE dirty bits and write protect them once again.

The implementation is a tad harder, mainly because the default
backing_dev_info capabilities were too loosely maintained.  Hence it is not
enough to test the backing_dev_info for cap_account_dirty.

The current heuristic is as follows, a VMA is eligible when:
 - its shared writeable
    (vm_flags & (VM_WRITE|VM_SHARED)) == (VM_WRITE|VM_SHARED)
 - it is not a 'special' mapping
    (vm_flags & (VM_PFNMAP|VM_INSERTPAGE)) == 0
 - the backing_dev_info is cap_account_dirty
    mapping_cap_account_dirty(vma->vm_file->f_mapping)
 - f_op->mmap() didn't change the default page protection

Page from remap_pfn_range() are explicitly excluded because their COW
semantics are already horrid enough (see vm_normal_page() in do_wp_page()) and
because they don't have a backing store anyway.

mprotect() is taught about the new behaviour as well.  However it overrides
the last condition.

Cleaning the pages on write-back is done with page_mkclean() a new rmap call.
It can be called on any page, but is currently only implemented for mapped
pages, if the page is found the be of a VMA that accounts dirty pages it will
also wrprotect the PTE.

Finally, in fs/buffers.c:try_to_free_buffers(); remove clear_page_dirty() from
under ->private_lock.  This seems to be safe, since ->private_lock is used to
serialize access to the buffers, not the page itself.  This is needed because
clear_page_dirty() will call into page_mkclean() and would thereby violate
locking order.

[dhowells@redhat.com: Provide a page_mkclean() implementation for NOMMU]
Signed-off-by: Peter Zijlstra <a.p.zijlstra@chello.nl>
Cc: Hugh Dickins <hugh@veritas.com>
Signed-off-by: David Howells <dhowells@redhat.com>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

12 years ago[PATCH] mm: VM_BUG_ON
Nick Piggin [Tue, 26 Sep 2006 06:30:55 +0000]
[PATCH] mm: VM_BUG_ON

Introduce a VM_BUG_ON, which is turned on with CONFIG_DEBUG_VM.  Use this
in the lightweight, inline refcounting functions; PageLRU and PageActive
checks in vmscan, because they're pretty well confined to vmscan.  And in
page allocate/free fastpaths which can be the hottest parts of the kernel
for kbuilds.

Unlike BUG_ON, VM_BUG_ON must not be used to execute statements with
side-effects, and should not be used outside core mm code.

Signed-off-by: Nick Piggin <npiggin@suse.de>
Cc: Hugh Dickins <hugh@veritas.com>
Cc: Christoph Lameter <clameter@engr.sgi.com>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

12 years ago[PATCH] update to the kernel kmap/kunmap API
James Bottomley [Tue, 26 Sep 2006 06:30:55 +0000]
[PATCH] update to the kernel kmap/kunmap API

Give non-highmem architectures access to the kmap API for the purposes of
overriding (this is what the attached patch does).

The proposal is that we should now require all architectures with coherence
issues to manage data coherence via the kmap/kunmap API.  Thus driver
writers never have to write code like

    kmap(page)
    modify data in page
    flush_kernel_dcache_page(page)
    kunmap(page)

instead, kmap/kunmap will manage the coherence and driver (and filesystem)
writers don't need to worry about how to flush between kmap and kunmap.

For most architectures, the page only needs to be flushed if it was
actually written to *and* there are user mappings of it, so the best
implementation looks to be: clear the page dirty pte bit in the kernel page
tables on kmap and on kunmap, check page->mappings for user maps, and then
the dirty bit, and only flush if it both has user mappings and is dirty.

Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

12 years ago[PATCH] jbd: fix commit of ordered data buffers
Jan Kara [Tue, 26 Sep 2006 06:30:53 +0000]
[PATCH] jbd: fix commit of ordered data buffers

Original commit code assumes, that when a buffer on BJ_SyncData list is
locked, it is being written to disk.  But this is not true and hence it can
lead to a potential data loss on crash.  Also the code didn't count with
the fact that journal_dirty_data() can steal buffers from committing
transaction and hence could write buffers that no longer belong to the
committing transaction.  Finally it could possibly happen that we tried
writing out one buffer several times.

The patch below tries to solve these problems by a complete rewrite of the
data commit code.  We go through buffers on t_sync_datalist, lock buffers
needing write out and store them in an array.  Buffers are also immediately
refiled to BJ_Locked list or unfiled (if the write out is completed).  When
the array is full or we have to block on buffer lock, we submit all
accumulated buffers for IO.

[suitable for 2.6.18.x around the 2.6.19-rc2 timeframe]

Signed-off-by: Jan Kara <jack@suse.cz>
Cc: Badari Pulavarty <pbadari@us.ibm.com>
Cc: <stable@kernel.org>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

12 years ago[PATCH] trigger a syntax error if percpu macros are incorrectly used
Jan Blunck [Tue, 26 Sep 2006 06:30:53 +0000]
[PATCH] trigger a syntax error if percpu macros are incorrectly used

get_cpu_var()/per_cpu()/__get_cpu_var() arguments must be simple
identifiers.  Otherwise the arch dependent implementations might break.

This patch enforces the correct usage of the macros by producing a syntax
error if the variable is not a simple identifier.

Signed-off-by: Jan Blunck <jblunck@suse.de>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

12 years ago[PATCH] Fix longstanding load balancing bug in the scheduler
Christoph Lameter [Tue, 26 Sep 2006 06:30:51 +0000]
[PATCH] Fix longstanding load balancing bug in the scheduler

The scheduler will stop load balancing if the most busy processor contains
processes pinned via processor affinity.

The scheduler currently only does one search for busiest cpu.  If it cannot
pull any tasks away from the busiest cpu because they were pinned then the
scheduler goes into a corner and sulks leaving the idle processors idle.

F.e.  If you have processor 0 busy running four tasks pinned via taskset,
there are none on processor 1 and one just started two processes on
processor 2 then the scheduler will not move one of the two processes away
from processor 2.

This patch fixes that issue by forcing the scheduler to come out of its
corner and retrying the load balancing by considering other processors for
load balancing.

This patch was originally developed by John Hawkes and discussed at

    http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=113901368523205&w=2.

I have removed extraneous material and gone back to equipping struct rq
with the cpu the queue is associated with since this makes the patch much
easier and it is likely that others in the future will have the same
difficulty of figuring out which processor owns which runqueue.

The overhead added through these patches is a single word on the stack if
the kernel is configured to support 32 cpus or less (32 bit).  For 32 bit
environments the maximum number of cpus that can be configued is 255 which
would result in the use of 32 bytes additional on the stack.  On IA64 up to
1k cpus can be configured which will result in the use of 128 additional
bytes on the stack.  The maximum additional cache footprint is one
cacheline.  Typically memory use will be much less than a cacheline and the
additional cpumask will be placed on the stack in a cacheline that already
contains other local variable.

Signed-off-by: Christoph Lameter <clameter@sgi.com>
Cc: John Hawkes <hawkes@sgi.com>
Cc: "Siddha, Suresh B" <suresh.b.siddha@intel.com>
Cc: Ingo Molnar <mingo@elte.hu>
Cc: Nick Piggin <nickpiggin@yahoo.com.au>
Cc: Peter Williams <pwil3058@bigpond.net.au>
Cc: <stable@kernel.org>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

12 years agoMerge branch 'upstream-linus' of master.kernel.org:/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/jgarzik...
Linus Torvalds [Tue, 26 Sep 2006 02:32:02 +0000]
Merge branch 'upstream-linus' of /linux/kernel/git/jgarzik/libata-dev

* 'upstream-linus' of master.kernel.org:/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/jgarzik/libata-dev:
  [libata] Fix oops introduced in non-uniform port handling fix
  [PATCH] ata-piix: fixes kerneldoc error

12 years ago[libata] Fix oops introduced in non-uniform port handling fix
Jeff Garzik [Tue, 26 Sep 2006 01:56:33 +0000]
[libata] Fix oops introduced in non-uniform port handling fix

Noticed by several people.

Signed-off-by: Jeff Garzik <jeff@garzik.org>

12 years agoMerge master.kernel.org:/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/davem/net-2.6
Linus Torvalds [Tue, 26 Sep 2006 00:39:55 +0000]
Merge /pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/davem/net-2.6

* master.kernel.org:/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/davem/net-2.6:
  [NetLabel]: update docs with website information
  [NetLabel]: rework the Netlink attribute handling (part 2)
  [NetLabel]: rework the Netlink attribute handling (part 1)
  [Netlink]: add nla_validate_nested()
  [NETLINK]: add nla_for_each_nested() to the interface list
  [NetLabel]: change the SELinux permissions
  [NetLabel]: make the CIPSOv4 cache spinlocks bottom half safe
  [NetLabel]: correct improper handling of non-NetLabel peer contexts
  [TCP]: make cubic the default
  [TCP]: default congestion control menu
  [ATM] he: Fix __init/__devinit conflict
  [NETFILTER]: Add dscp,DSCP headers to header-y
  [DCCP]: Introduce dccp_probe
  [DCCP]: Use constants for CCIDs
  [DCCP]: Introduce constants for CCID numbers
  [DCCP]: Allow default/fallback service code.

12 years agoMerge master.kernel.org:/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/davem/sparc-2.6
Linus Torvalds [Tue, 26 Sep 2006 00:39:04 +0000]
Merge /pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/davem/sparc-2.6

* master.kernel.org:/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/davem/sparc-2.6:
  [SOUND] sparc/amd7930: Use __devinit and __devinitdata as needed.
  [SUNLANCE]: Mark sparc_lance_probe_one as __devinit.
  [SPARC64]: Fix section-mismatch errors in solaris emul module.

12 years ago[PATCH] VIDIOC_ENUMSTD bug
Jonathan Corbet [Mon, 25 Sep 2006 23:25:37 +0000]
[PATCH] VIDIOC_ENUMSTD bug

The v4l2 API documentation for VIDIOC_ENUMSTD says:

To enumerate all standards applications shall begin at index
zero, incrementing by one until the driver returns EINVAL.

The actual code, however, tests the index this way:

               if (index<=0 || index >= vfd->tvnormsize) {
                        ret=-EINVAL;

So any application which passes in index=0 gets EINVAL right off the bat
- and, in fact, this is what happens to mplayer.  So I think the
following patch is called for, and maybe even appropriate for a 2.6.18.x
stable release.

Signed-off-by: Jonathan Corbet <corbet@lwn.net>
Cc: Mauro Carvalho Chehab <mchehab@infradead.org>
Cc: <stable@kernel.org>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

12 years ago[PATCH] load_module: no BUG if module_subsys uninitialized
Ed Swierk [Mon, 25 Sep 2006 23:25:36 +0000]
[PATCH] load_module: no BUG if module_subsys uninitialized

Invoking load_module() before param_sysfs_init() is called crashes in
mod_sysfs_setup(), since the kset in module_subsys is not initialized yet.

In my case, net-pf-1 is getting modprobed as a result of hotplug trying to
create a UNIX socket.  Calls to hotplug begin after the topology_init
initcall.

Another patch for the same symptom (module_subsys-initialize-earlier.patch)
moves param_sysfs_init() to the subsys initcalls, but this is still not
early enough in the boot process in some cases.  In particular,
topology_init() causes /sbin/hotplug to run, which requests net-pf-1 (the
UNIX socket protocol) which can be compiled as a module.  Moving
param_sysfs_init() to the postcore initcalls fixes this particular race,
but there might well be other cases where a usermodehelper causes a module
to load earlier still.

The patch makes load_module() return an error rather than crashing the
kernel if invoked before module_subsys is initialized.

Cc: Mark Huang <mlhuang@cs.princeton.edu>
Cc: Greg KH <greg@kroah.com>
Cc: <stable@kernel.org>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

12 years ago[PATCH] i386: fix flat mode numa on a real numa system
keith mannthey [Mon, 25 Sep 2006 23:25:35 +0000]
[PATCH] i386: fix flat mode numa on a real numa system

If there is only 1 node in the system cpus should think they are apart of
some other node.

If cases where a real numa system boots the Flat numa option make sure the
cpus don't claim to be apart on a non-existent node.

Signed-off-by: Keith Mannthey <kmannth@us.ibm.com>
Cc: Andy Whitcroft <apw@shadowen.org>
Cc: Dave Hansen <haveblue@us.ibm.com>
Cc: Andi Kleen <ak@suse.de>
Cc: <stable@kernel.org>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

12 years ago[PATCH] cpu to node relationship fixup: map cpu to node
KAMEZAWA Hiroyuki [Mon, 25 Sep 2006 23:25:31 +0000]
[PATCH] cpu to node relationship fixup: map cpu to node

Assume that a cpu is *physically* offlined at boot time...

Because smpboot.c::smp_boot_cpu_map() canoot find cpu's sapicid,
numa.c::build_cpu_to_node_map() cannot build cpu<->node map for
offlined cpu.

For such cpus, cpu_to_node map should be fixed at cpu-hot-add.
This mapping should be done before cpu onlining.

This patch also handles cpu hotremove case.

Signed-off-by: KAMEZAWA Hiroyuki <kamezawa.hiroyu@jp.fujitsu.com>
Cc: "Luck, Tony" <tony.luck@intel.com>
Cc: <stable@kernel.org>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

12 years ago[PATCH] cpu to node relationship fixup: acpi_map_cpu2node
KAMEZAWA Hiroyuki [Mon, 25 Sep 2006 23:25:21 +0000]
[PATCH] cpu to node relationship fixup: acpi_map_cpu2node

Problem description:

  We have additional_cpus= option for allocating possible_cpus.  But nid
  for possible cpus are not fixed at boot time.  cpus which is offlined at
  boot or cpus which is not on SRAT is not tied to its node.  This will
  cause panic at cpu onlining.

Usually, pxm_to_nid() mapping is fixed at boot time by SRAT.

But, unfortunately, some system (my system!) do not include
full SRAT table for possible cpus.  (Then, I use
additiona_cpus= option.)

For such possible cpus, pxm<->nid should be fixed at
hot-add.  We now have acpi_map_pxm_to_node() which is also
used at boot.  It's suitable here.

Signed-off-by: KAMEZAWA Hiroyuki <kamezawa.hiroyu@jp.fujitsu.com>
Cc: "Luck, Tony" <tony.luck@intel.com>
Cc: <stable@kernel.org>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

12 years ago[PATCH] backlight: fix oops in __mutex_lock_slowpath during head /sys/class/graphics...
Michael Hanselmann [Mon, 25 Sep 2006 23:25:07 +0000]
[PATCH] backlight: fix oops in __mutex_lock_slowpath during head /sys/class/graphics/fb0/*

Seems like not all drivers use the framebuffer_alloc() function and won't
have an initialized mutex.  But those don't have a backlight, anyway.

Signed-off-by: Michael Hanselmann <linux-kernel@hansmi.ch>
Cc: Olaf Hering <olaf@aepfle.de>
Cc: "Antonino A. Daplas" <adaplas@pol.net>
Cc: Daniel R Thompson <daniel.thompson@st.com>
Cc: Jon Smirl <jonsmirl@gmail.com>
Cc: <stable@kernel.org>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

12 years ago[PATCH] do not free non slab allocated per_cpu_pageset
David Rientjes [Mon, 25 Sep 2006 23:24:57 +0000]
[PATCH] do not free non slab allocated per_cpu_pageset

Stops panic associated with attempting to free a non slab-allocated
per_cpu_pageset.

Signed-off-by: David Rientjes <rientjes@cs.washington.edu>
Acked-by: Christoph Lameter <clameter@sgi.com>
Cc: <stable@kernel.org>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

12 years ago[PATCH] i386 bootioremap / kexec fix
keith mannthey [Mon, 25 Sep 2006 23:24:39 +0000]
[PATCH] i386 bootioremap / kexec fix

With CONFIG_PHYSICAL_START set to a non default values the i386
boot_ioremap code calculated its pte index wrong and users of boot_ioremap
have their areas incorrectly mapped (for me SRAT table not mapped during
early boot).  This patch removes the addr < BOOT_PTE_PTRS constraint.

[ Keith says this is applicable to 2.6.16 and 2.6.17 as well ]

Signed-off-by: Keith Mannthey<kmannth@us.ibm.com>
Cc: Vivek Goyal <vgoyal@in.ibm.com>
Cc: Dave Hansen <haveblue@us.ibm.com>
Cc: <stable@kernel.org>
Cc: Adrian Bunk <bunk@stusta.de>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

12 years ago[PATCH] rtc: lockdep fix/workaround
Peter Zijlstra [Mon, 25 Sep 2006 23:24:23 +0000]
[PATCH] rtc: lockdep fix/workaround

BUG: warning at kernel/lockdep.c:1816/trace_hardirqs_on() (Not tainted)
 [<c04051ee>] show_trace_log_lvl+0x58/0x171
 [<c0405802>] show_trace+0xd/0x10
 [<c040591b>] dump_stack+0x19/0x1b
 [<c043abee>] trace_hardirqs_on+0xa2/0x11e
 [<c06143c3>] _spin_unlock_irq+0x22/0x26
 [<c0541540>] rtc_get_rtc_time+0x32/0x176
 [<c0419ba4>] hpet_rtc_interrupt+0x92/0x14d
 [<c0450f94>] handle_IRQ_event+0x20/0x4d
 [<c0451055>] __do_IRQ+0x94/0xef
 [<c040678d>] do_IRQ+0x9e/0xbd
 [<c0404a49>] common_interrupt+0x25/0x2c
DWARF2 unwinder stuck at common_interrupt+0x25/0x2c

Signed-off-by: Peter Zijlstra <a.p.zijlstra@chello.nl>
Acked-by: Ingo Molnar <mingo@elte.hu>
Cc: <stable@kernel.org>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

12 years ago[PATCH] autofs4: zero timeout prevents shutdown
Ian Kent [Mon, 25 Sep 2006 23:24:16 +0000]
[PATCH] autofs4: zero timeout prevents shutdown

If the timeout of an autofs mount is set to zero then umounts are disabled.
 This works fine, however the kernel module checks the expire timeout and
goes no further if it is zero.  This is not the right thing to do at
shutdown as the module is passed an option to expire mounts regardless of
their timeout setting.

This patch allows autofs to honor the force expire option.

Signed-off-by: Ian Kent <raven@themaw.net>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

12 years ago[PATCH] ata-piix: fixes kerneldoc error
Henne [Mon, 25 Sep 2006 20:00:46 +0000]
[PATCH] ata-piix: fixes kerneldoc error

Fixes an error in kerneldoc of ata_piix.c.
Signed-off-by: Henrik Kretzschmar <henne@nachtwindheim.de>
Signed-off-by: Jeff Garzik <jeff@garzik.org>

12 years ago[SOUND] sparc/amd7930: Use __devinit and __devinitdata as needed.
David S. Miller [Mon, 25 Sep 2006 21:08:37 +0000]
[SOUND] sparc/amd7930: Use __devinit and __devinitdata as needed.

Fixes section-mismatch errors.

Signed-off-by: David S. Miller <davem@davemloft.net>

12 years ago[SUNLANCE]: Mark sparc_lance_probe_one as __devinit.
David S. Miller [Mon, 25 Sep 2006 21:04:49 +0000]
[SUNLANCE]: Mark sparc_lance_probe_one as __devinit.

Fixes section mismatch warnings when built as a module.

Also, mark find_ledma and sun4 init function as __devinit
too.

Signed-off-by: David S. Miller <davem@davemloft.net>

12 years ago[SPARC64]: Fix section-mismatch errors in solaris emul module.
David S. Miller [Mon, 25 Sep 2006 21:00:45 +0000]
[SPARC64]: Fix section-mismatch errors in solaris emul module.

init_socksys() was marked __init but invoked from a
non-__init function.

Use the correct module_{init,exit}() faciltiies while we're
here and eliminate some seriously bogus ifdefs.

Signed-off-by: David S. Miller <davem@davemloft.net>

12 years ago[NetLabel]: update docs with website information
Paul Moore [Mon, 25 Sep 2006 22:57:13 +0000]
[NetLabel]: update docs with website information

Now that all of the supporting pieces of NetLabel have a home at SourceForge
update the Kconfig help text and add an entry to the MAINTAINERS file.

Signed-off-by: Paul Moore <paul.moore@hp.com>
Signed-off-by: David S. Miller <davem@davemloft.net>

12 years ago[NetLabel]: rework the Netlink attribute handling (part 2)
Paul Moore [Mon, 25 Sep 2006 22:56:37 +0000]
[NetLabel]: rework the Netlink attribute handling (part 2)

At the suggestion of Thomas Graf, rewrite NetLabel's use of Netlink attributes
to better follow the common Netlink attribute usage.

Signed-off-by: Paul Moore <paul.moore@hp.com>
Signed-off-by: David S. Miller <davem@davemloft.net>

12 years ago[NetLabel]: rework the Netlink attribute handling (part 1)
Paul Moore [Mon, 25 Sep 2006 22:56:09 +0000]
[NetLabel]: rework the Netlink attribute handling (part 1)

At the suggestion of Thomas Graf, rewrite NetLabel's use of Netlink attributes
to better follow the common Netlink attribute usage.

Signed-off-by: Paul Moore <paul.moore@hp.com>
Signed-off-by: David S. Miller <davem@davemloft.net>

12 years ago[Netlink]: add nla_validate_nested()
Paul Moore [Mon, 25 Sep 2006 22:54:03 +0000]
[Netlink]: add nla_validate_nested()

Add a new function, nla_validate_nested(), to validate nested Netlink
attributes.

Signed-off-by: Paul Moore <paul.moore@hp.com>
Signed-off-by: David S. Miller <davem@davemloft.net>

12 years ago[NETLINK]: add nla_for_each_nested() to the interface list
Paul Moore [Mon, 25 Sep 2006 22:53:37 +0000]
[NETLINK]: add nla_for_each_nested() to the interface list

At the top of include/net/netlink.h is a list of Netlink interfaces, however,
the nla_for_each_nested() macro was not listed.  This patch adds this interface
to the list at the top of the header file.

Signed-off-by: Paul Moore <paul.moore@hp.com>
Signed-off-by: David S. Miller <davem@davemloft.net>

12 years ago[NetLabel]: change the SELinux permissions
Paul Moore [Mon, 25 Sep 2006 22:53:13 +0000]
[NetLabel]: change the SELinux permissions

Change NetLabel to use the 'recvfrom' socket permission and the
SECINITSID_NETMSG SELinux SID as the NetLabel base SID for incoming packets.
This patch effectively makes the old, and currently unused, SELinux NETMSG
permissions NetLabel permissions.

Signed-of-by: Paul Moore <paul.moore@hp.com>
Signed-off-by: David S. Miller <davem@davemloft.net>

12 years ago[NetLabel]: make the CIPSOv4 cache spinlocks bottom half safe
Paul Moore [Mon, 25 Sep 2006 22:52:37 +0000]
[NetLabel]: make the CIPSOv4 cache spinlocks bottom half safe

The CIPSOv4 cache traversal routines are triggered both the userspace events
(cache invalidation due to DOI removal or updated SELinux policy) and network
packet processing events.  As a result there is a problem with the existing
CIPSOv4 cache spinlocks as they are not bottom-half/softirq safe.  This patch
converts the CIPSOv4 cache spin_[un]lock() calls into spin_[un]lock_bh() calls
to address this problem.

Signed-off-by: Paul Moore <paul.moore@hp.com>
Signed-off-by: David S. Miller <davem@davemloft.net>

12 years ago[NetLabel]: correct improper handling of non-NetLabel peer contexts
Paul Moore [Mon, 25 Sep 2006 22:52:01 +0000]
[NetLabel]: correct improper handling of non-NetLabel peer contexts

Fix a problem where NetLabel would always set the value of
sk_security_struct->peer_sid in selinux_netlbl_sock_graft() to the context of
the socket, causing problems when users would query the context of the
connection.  This patch fixes this so that the value in
sk_security_struct->peer_sid is only set when the connection is NetLabel based,
otherwise the value is untouched.

Signed-off-by: Paul Moore <paul.moore@hp.com>
Signed-off-by: David S. Miller <davem@davemloft.net>

12 years ago[libata] No need for all those arch libata-portmap.h headers
Jeff Garzik [Mon, 25 Sep 2006 19:33:09 +0000]
[libata] No need for all those arch libata-portmap.h headers

They all contain the same thing.  Instead, have a single generic one in
include/asm-generic, and permit an arch to override as needed.

Signed-off-by: Jeff Garzik <jeff@garzik.org>

13 years ago[TCP]: make cubic the default
Stephen Hemminger [Mon, 25 Sep 2006 03:13:03 +0000]
[TCP]: make cubic the default

Change default congestion control used from BIC to the newer CUBIC
which it the successor to BIC but has better properties over long delay links.

Signed-off-by: Stephen Hemminger <shemminger@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: David S. Miller <davem@davemloft.net>

13 years ago[TCP]: default congestion control menu
Stephen Hemminger [Mon, 25 Sep 2006 03:11:58 +0000]
[TCP]: default congestion control menu

Change how default TCP congestion control is chosen. Don't just use
last installed module, instead allow selection during configuration,
and make sure and use the default regardless of load order.

Signed-off-by: Stephen Hemminger <shemminger@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: David S. Miller <davem@davemloft.net>

13 years ago[ATM] he: Fix __init/__devinit conflict
Roland Dreier [Mon, 25 Sep 2006 03:09:33 +0000]
[ATM] he: Fix __init/__devinit conflict

he_init_one() is declared __devinit, but calls lots of init functions
that are marked __init.  However, if CONFIG_HOTPLUG is enabled,
__devinit functions go into normal .text, which leads to

    WARNING: drivers/atm/he.o - Section mismatch: reference to .init.text: from .text between 'he_start' (at offset 0x2130) and 'he_service_tbrq'

Fix this by changing the __init functions to __devinit.

Signed-off-by: Roland Dreier <roland@digitalvampire.org>
Signed-off-by: David S. Miller <davem@davemloft.net>

13 years ago[PATCH] pata_pdc2027x iomem annotations
Al Viro [Mon, 25 Sep 2006 01:57:57 +0000]
[PATCH] pata_pdc2027x iomem annotations

Signed-off-by: Al Viro <viro@zeniv.linux.org.uk>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

13 years ago[PATCH] fix idiocy in asd_init_lseq_mdp()
Al Viro [Mon, 25 Sep 2006 01:57:22 +0000]
[PATCH] fix idiocy in asd_init_lseq_mdp()

To whoever had written that code:

 a) priority of >> is higher than that of &
 b) priority of typecast is higher than that of any binary operator
 c) learn the fscking C

Signed-off-by: Al Viro <viro@zeniv.linux.org.uk>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

13 years ago[PATCH] SCSI gfp_t annotations
Al Viro [Mon, 25 Sep 2006 01:55:40 +0000]
[PATCH] SCSI gfp_t annotations

Signed-off-by: Al Viro <viro@zeniv.linux.org.uk>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

13 years ago[PATCH] wrong thing iounmapped (qla3xxx)
Al Viro [Mon, 25 Sep 2006 01:54:46 +0000]
[PATCH] wrong thing iounmapped (qla3xxx)

ql3xxx_probe() does ioremap and stores result in ->mem_map_registers.
On failure exit it does iounmap() of the same thing.

OTOH, ql3xxx_remove() does iounmap() of ->mmap_virt_base which is
 (a) never assigned and
 (b) never used other than in that iounmap() call.

Signed-off-by: Al Viro <viro@zeniv.linux.org.uk>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

13 years ago[PATCH] qla3xxx iomem annotations
Al Viro [Mon, 25 Sep 2006 01:53:53 +0000]
[PATCH] qla3xxx iomem annotations

the driver is still shite, though...

Signed-off-by: Al Viro <viro@zeniv.linux.org.uk>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

13 years ago[PATCH] Revert ABI-breaking change in /proc
Matthew Wilcox [Mon, 25 Sep 2006 02:22:52 +0000]
[PATCH] Revert ABI-breaking change in /proc

Some user tools parse /proc/scsi/scsi, so we can't yet change the names.
Change the existing ones back to their old names, and add an admonition
to not make the same mistake that I did.

Andrew Morton reports that this was breaking YDL 4.1 userspace.

Signed-off-by: Matthew Wilcox <matthew@wil.cx>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

13 years agoMerge master.kernel.org:/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/acme/net-2.6
David S. Miller [Mon, 25 Sep 2006 02:29:57 +0000]
Merge /pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/acme/net-2.6

13 years ago[NETFILTER]: Add dscp,DSCP headers to header-y
Yasuyuki Kozakai [Mon, 25 Sep 2006 02:28:47 +0000]
[NETFILTER]: Add dscp,DSCP headers to header-y

This patch adds xt_dscp.h and xt_DSCP.h to the kernel headers which are
exported via 'make headers_install'. These are necessary for userspace
to add rules using dscp match and DSCP target.

Signed-off-by: Yasuyuki Kozakai <yasuyuki.kozakai@toshiba.co.jp>
Signed-off-by: David S. Miller <davem@davemloft.net>

13 years agoMerge git://git.infradead.org/~dwmw2/khdrs-2.6
Linus Torvalds [Sun, 24 Sep 2006 22:55:22 +0000]
Merge git://git.infradead.org/~dwmw2/khdrs-2.6

* git://git.infradead.org/~dwmw2/khdrs-2.6:
  Don't remove $(INSTALL_HDR_PATH)/install before headers_install.

13 years ago[PATCH] missing include (free_irq() use)
Al Viro [Sun, 24 Sep 2006 22:45:29 +0000]
[PATCH] missing include (free_irq() use)

Signed-off-by: Al Viro <viro@zeniv.linux.org.uk>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

13 years ago[PATCH] NULL noise removal
Al Viro [Sun, 24 Sep 2006 22:42:57 +0000]
[PATCH] NULL noise removal

Signed-off-by: Al Viro <viro@zeniv.linux.org.uk>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

13 years ago[PATCH] fix iptables __user misannotations
Al Viro [Sun, 24 Sep 2006 22:42:20 +0000]
[PATCH] fix iptables __user misannotations

Signed-off-by: Al Viro <viro@zeniv.linux.org.uk>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

13 years ago[PATCH] netlabel gfp annotations
Al Viro [Sun, 24 Sep 2006 22:41:42 +0000]
[PATCH] netlabel gfp annotations

Signed-off-by: Al Viro <viro@zeniv.linux.org.uk>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

13 years ago[PATCH] libata won't build on SUN4
Al Viro [Sun, 24 Sep 2006 22:41:00 +0000]
[PATCH] libata won't build on SUN4

marked as such...

Signed-off-by: Al Viro <viro@zeniv.linux.org.uk>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

13 years ago[PATCH] libata won't build on m68k and m32r
Al Viro [Sun, 24 Sep 2006 22:40:00 +0000]
[PATCH] libata won't build on m68k and m32r

no ioread*(), for one thing

Signed-off-by: Al Viro <viro@zeniv.linux.org.uk>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

13 years ago[PATCH] restore libata build on frv
Al Viro [Sun, 24 Sep 2006 22:39:25 +0000]
[PATCH] restore libata build on frv

Signed-off-by: Al Viro <viro@zeniv.linux.org.uk>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

13 years agoDon't remove $(INSTALL_HDR_PATH)/install before headers_install.
David Woodhouse [Sun, 24 Sep 2006 22:44:57 +0000]
Don't remove $(INSTALL_HDR_PATH)/install before headers_install.

Signed-off-by: David Woodhouse <dwmw2@infradead.org>

13 years agoMerge branch 'upstream-linus' of git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/mfashe...
Linus Torvalds [Sun, 24 Sep 2006 22:28:50 +0000]
Merge branch 'upstream-linus' of git://git./linux/kernel/git/mfasheh/ocfs2

* 'upstream-linus' of git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/mfasheh/ocfs2: (28 commits)
  ocfs2: Teach ocfs2_drop_lock() to use ->set_lvb() callback
  ocfs2: Remove ->unblock lockres operation
  ocfs2: move downconvert worker to lockres ops
  ocfs2: Remove unused dlmglue functions
  ocfs2: Have the metadata lock use generic dlmglue functions
  ocfs2: Add ->set_lvb callback in dlmglue
  ocfs2: Add ->check_downconvert callback in dlmglue
  ocfs2: Check for refreshing locks in generic unblock function
  ocfs2: don't unconditionally pass LVB flags
  ocfs2: combine inode and generic blocking AST functions
  ocfs2: Add ->get_osb() dlmglue locking operation
  ocfs2: remove ->unlock_ast() callback from ocfs2_lock_res_ops
  ocfs2: combine inode and generic AST functions
  ocfs2: Clean up lock resource refresh flags
  ocfs2: Remove i_generation from inode lock names
  ocfs2: Encode i_generation in the meta data lvb
  ocfs2: Free up some space in the lvb
  ocfs2: Remove special casing for inode creation in ocfs2_dentry_attach_lock()
  ocfs2: manually d_move() during ocfs2_rename()
  [PATCH] Allow file systems to manually d_move() inside of ->rename()
  ...

13 years agoMerge git://git.infradead.org/~dwmw2/khdrs-2.6
Linus Torvalds [Sun, 24 Sep 2006 21:55:52 +0000]
Merge git://git.infradead.org/~dwmw2/khdrs-2.6

* git://git.infradead.org/~dwmw2/khdrs-2.6:
  New 'make headers_install_all' target.
  Use dependencies for 'make headers_install'.
  [S390] Unexport <asm/z90crypt.h>, export <asm/zcrypt.h> in its place.
  Remove dead netfilter_logging.h from include/linux/Kbuild
  Remove offsetof() from user-visible <linux/stddef.h>
  Clean up exported headers on CRIS
  Fix v850 exported headers
  Don't advertise (or allow) headers_{install,check} where inappropriate.
  Remove UML header export
  Remove ARM26 header export.
  Fix H8300 exported headers.
  Fix m68knommu exported headers
  Fix exported headers for SPARC, SPARC64
  Fix 'make headers_check' on m32r
  Fix 'make headers_check' on sh64
  Fix 'make headers_check' on sh
  [HEADERS] Fix ARM 'make headers_check'

Initial pass of manual conflict resolution in top-level Makefile over
conflicting build rule and headers_install changes.

13 years agoMerge git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/sam/kbuild
Linus Torvalds [Sun, 24 Sep 2006 21:24:14 +0000]
Merge git://git./linux/kernel/git/sam/kbuild

* git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/sam/kbuild: (28 commits)
  kbuild: add distclean info to 'make help' and more details for 'clean'
  dontdiff: add utsrelease.h
  kbuild: fix "mkdir -p" usage in scripts/package/mkspec
  kbuild: correct and clarify versioning info in Makefile
  kbuild: fixup Documentation/kbuild/modules.txt
  kbuild: Extend kbuild/defconfig tags support to exuberant ctags
  kbuild: fix for some typos in Documentation/makefiles.txt
  kbuild: clarify "make C=" build option
  Documentaion: update Documentation/Changes with minimum versions
  kbuild: update help in top level Makefile
  kbuild: fail kernel compilation in case of unresolved module symbols
  kbuild: remove debug left-over from Makefile.host
  kbuild: create output directory for hostprogs with O=.. build
  kbuild: add missing return statement in modpost.c:secref_whitelist()
  kbuild: preperly align SYSMAP output
  kbuild: make -rR is now default
  kbuild: make V=2 tell why a target is rebuild
  kbuild: modpost on vmlinux regardless of CONFIG_MODULES
  kbuild: ignore references from ".pci_fixup" to ".init.text"
  kbuild: linguistic fixes for Documentation/kbuild/makefiles.txt
  ...

12 years agokbuild: add distclean info to 'make help' and more details for 'clean'
Jesper Juhl [Sun, 24 Sep 2006 12:01:08 +0000]
kbuild: add distclean info to 'make help' and more details for 'clean'

Add distclean info, that was previously missing, to 'make help'.
Also add a few more details to the 'make clean' help text.

Signed-off-by: Jesper Juhl <jesper.juhl@gmail.com>
Signed-off-by: Sam Ravnborg <sam@ravnborg.org>

12 years agodontdiff: add utsrelease.h
Randy Dunlap [Fri, 22 Sep 2006 19:37:56 +0000]
dontdiff: add utsrelease.h

Add auto-generated utsrelease.h to dontdiff file.

Signed-off-by: Randy Dunlap <rdunlap@xenotime.net>
Signed-off-by: Sam Ravnborg <sam@ravnborg.org>

12 years agokbuild: fix "mkdir -p" usage in scripts/package/mkspec
Rolf Eike Beer [Mon, 14 Aug 2006 06:16:47 +0000]
kbuild: fix "mkdir -p" usage in scripts/package/mkspec

"mkdir -p" does not only mean not to complain if the directory already
exists, but also to create the parent directories if needed. This patch
removes "lib" from the list of directories to create as we will also create
"lib/modules".

Signed-off-by: Rolf Eike Beer <eike-kernel@sf-tec.de>
Signed-off-by: Sam Ravnborg <sam@ravnborg.org>

12 years agokbuild: correct and clarify versioning info in Makefile
Robert P. J. Day [Tue, 12 Sep 2006 16:38:19 +0000]
kbuild: correct and clarify versioning info in Makefile

The attached patch clarifies the creation of KERNELRELEASE and
corrects an error regarding the use of $(LOCALVERSION).

Signed-off-by: Sam Ravnborg <sam@ravnborg.org>

12 years agokbuild: fixup Documentation/kbuild/modules.txt
Robert P. J. Day [Thu, 21 Sep 2006 13:39:41 +0000]
kbuild: fixup Documentation/kbuild/modules.txt

Signed-off-by: Sam Ravnborg <sam@ravnborg.org>

12 years agokbuild: Extend kbuild/defconfig tags support to exuberant ctags
Aron Griffis [Thu, 21 Sep 2006 04:27:02 +0000]
kbuild: Extend kbuild/defconfig tags support to exuberant ctags

The following patch extends kbuild/defconfig tags support to exuberant
ctags.  The previous support is only for emacs ctags/etags programs.

This patch also corrects the kconfig regex for the emacs invocation.
Previously it would miss some instances because it assumed /^config
instead of /^[ \t]*config

Signed-off-by: Aron Griffis <aron@hp.com>
Signed-off-by: Sam Ravnborg <sam@ravnborg.org>

12 years agokbuild: fix for some typos in Documentation/makefiles.txt
Bryce Harrington [Wed, 20 Sep 2006 19:43:37 +0000]
kbuild: fix for some typos in Documentation/makefiles.txt

I noticed a few typos while reading makefiles.txt to learn about the
kbuild system.  Attached is a patch against 2.6.18 to fix them.
Remove trailing whitespace while we are there..

Signed-off-by: Bryce Harrington <bryce@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Sam Ravnborg <sam@ravnborg.org>

12 years agokbuild: clarify "make C=" build option
Robert P. J. Day [Wed, 13 Sep 2006 11:57:50 +0000]
kbuild: clarify "make C=" build option

Clarify the use of "make C=" in the top-level Makefile, and fix a
typo in the Documentation file.

Signed-off-by: Sam Ravnborg <sam@ravnborg.org>

12 years agoDocumentaion: update Documentation/Changes with minimum versions
Robert P. J. Day [Mon, 11 Sep 2006 16:39:19 +0000]
Documentaion: update Documentation/Changes with minimum versions

Based on conversations with greg kh (and noticing a simple typo),
these are the actual minimal versions for 2.6.18.

Signed-off-by: Sam Ravnborg <sam@ravnborg.org>

12 years agokbuild: update help in top level Makefile
Robert P. J. Day [Mon, 11 Sep 2006 16:09:42 +0000]
kbuild: update help in top level Makefile

Signed-off-by: Sam Ravnborg <sam@ravnborg.org>

13 years agokbuild: fail kernel compilation in case of unresolved module symbols
Kirill Korotaev [Thu, 7 Sep 2006 20:08:54 +0000]
kbuild: fail kernel compilation in case of unresolved module symbols

At stage 2 modpost utility is used to check modules.  In case of unresolved
symbols modpost only prints warning.

IMHO it is a good idea to fail compilation process in case of unresolved
symbols (at least in modules coming with kernel), since usually such errors
are left unnoticed, but kernel modules are broken.

- new option '-w' is added to modpost:
  if option is specified, modpost only warns about unresolved symbols

- modpost is called with '-w' for external modules in Makefile.modpost

Signed-off-by: Andrey Mirkin <amirkin@sw.ru>
Signed-off-by: Kirill Korotaev <dev@openvz.org>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Sam Ravnborg <sam@ravnborg.org>

13 years agokbuild: remove debug left-over from Makefile.host
Sam Ravnborg [Tue, 8 Aug 2006 14:45:41 +0000]
kbuild: remove debug left-over from Makefile.host

Signed-off-by: Sam Ravnborg <sam@ravnborg.org>

13 years agokbuild: create output directory for hostprogs with O=.. build
Sam Ravnborg [Mon, 7 Aug 2006 19:55:33 +0000]
kbuild: create output directory for hostprogs with O=.. build

hostprogs-y only supported creating output directory for the final
program. Extend this to also cover the situation where a .o
file (used when host program is made from compositie objects) is
locate in another directory.
First user of this is the built-in lxdialog that.

Signed-off-by: Sam Ravnborg <sam@ravnborg.org>

13 years agokbuild: add missing return statement in modpost.c:secref_whitelist()
Sam Ravnborg [Wed, 9 Aug 2006 06:23:55 +0000]
kbuild: add missing return statement in modpost.c:secref_whitelist()

Noticed by: Magnus Damm <magnus@valinux.co.jp>

Signed-off-by: Sam Ravnborg <sam@ravnborg.org>

13 years agokbuild: preperly align SYSMAP output
Sam Ravnborg [Tue, 8 Aug 2006 19:41:18 +0000]
kbuild: preperly align SYSMAP output

Align filenames for SYSMAP with other filenames

Signed-off-by: Sam Ravnborg <sam@ravnborg.org>

13 years agokbuild: make -rR is now default
Sam Ravnborg [Tue, 8 Aug 2006 19:36:08 +0000]
kbuild: make -rR is now default

Do not specify -rR anymore - it is default.

Signed-off-by: Sam Ravnborg <sam@ravnborg.org>

13 years agokbuild: make V=2 tell why a target is rebuild
Sam Ravnborg [Tue, 8 Aug 2006 19:35:14 +0000]
kbuild: make V=2 tell why a target is rebuild

tell why a a target got build
   enabled by make V=2
      Output (listed in the order they are checked):
         (1) - due to target is PHONY
         (2) - due to target missing
         (3) - due to: file1.h file2.h
         (4) - due to command line change
         (5) - due to missing .cmd file
         (6) - due to target not in $(targets)
(1) We always build PHONY targets
(2) No target, so we better build it
(3) Prerequisite is newer than target
(4) The command line stored in the file named dir/.target.cmd
    differed from actual command line. This happens when compiler
    options changes
(5) No dir/.target.cmd file (used to store command line)
(6) No dir/.target.cmd file and target not listed in $(targets)
    This is a good hint that there is a bug in the kbuild file

This patch is inspired by a patch from: Milton Miller <miltonm@bga.com>

Cc: Milton Miller <miltonm@bga.com>
Signed-off-by: Sam Ravnborg <sam@ravnborg.org>

13 years agokbuild: modpost on vmlinux regardless of CONFIG_MODULES
Sam Ravnborg [Tue, 8 Aug 2006 18:43:39 +0000]
kbuild: modpost on vmlinux regardless of CONFIG_MODULES

Based on patch from: Magnus Damm <magnus@valinux.co.jp>
This has the advantage that all section mismatch checks are run regardless
of modules being enabled or not.

When running modpost on vmlinux output:
MODPOST vmlinux

When running modpost on modules output count of modules like this:
MODPOST 5 modules

Signed-off-by: Sam Ravnborg <sam@ravnborg.org>

13 years agokbuild: ignore references from ".pci_fixup" to ".init.text"
Magnus Damm [Tue, 8 Aug 2006 08:32:11 +0000]
kbuild: ignore references from ".pci_fixup" to ".init.text"

The modpost code is extended to ignore references
from ".pci_fixup" to ".init.text".

Signed-off-by: Magnus Damm <magnus@valinux.co.jp>

13 years agokbuild: linguistic fixes for Documentation/kbuild/makefiles.txt
Jan Engelhardt [Thu, 27 Jul 2006 20:14:29 +0000]
kbuild: linguistic fixes for Documentation/kbuild/makefiles.txt

I have done a look-through through Documentation/kbuild/ and my corrections
(proposed) are attached.

Cc'ed are original author Michael (responsible for comitting changes to
these files?), Sam (kbuild maintainer), Adrian (-trivial maintainer).

Signed-off-by: Jan Engelhardt <jengelh@gmx.de>
Signed-off-by: Sam Ravnborg <sam@ravnborg.org>

13 years agokbuild: linguistic fixes for Documentation/kbuild/modules.txt
Jan Engelhardt [Thu, 27 Jul 2006 20:14:29 +0000]
kbuild: linguistic fixes for Documentation/kbuild/modules.txt

I have done a look-through through Documentation/kbuild/ and my corrections
(proposed) are attached.

Cc'ed are original author Michael (responsible for comitting changes to
these files?), Sam (kbuild maintainer), Adrian (-trivial maintainer).

Signed-off-by: Jan Engelhardt <jengelh@gmx.de>
Signed-off-by: Sam Ravnborg <sam@ravnborg.org>

13 years agokconfig: linguistic fixes for Documentation/kbuild/kconfig-language.txt
Jan Engelhardt [Thu, 27 Jul 2006 20:14:29 +0000]
kconfig: linguistic fixes for Documentation/kbuild/kconfig-language.txt

I have done a look-through through Documentation/kbuild/ and my corrections
(proposed) are attached.

Cc'ed are original author Michael (responsible for comitting changes to
these files?), Sam (kbuild maintainer), Adrian (-trivial maintainer).

Signed-off-by: Jan Engelhardt <jengelh@gmx.de>
Signed-off-by: Sam Ravnborg <sam@ravnborg.org>

13 years agoremove RPM_BUILD_ROOT from asm-offsets.h
Olaf Hering [Wed, 26 Jul 2006 01:42:26 +0000]
remove RPM_BUILD_ROOT from asm-offsets.h

No file in rpm binary package should have the RPM_BUILD_ROOT string in it.
To simplify building of external modules, our kernel-source package
contains some temp files from the Kbuild system.  asm/asm-offsets.h is one
of the files that contains the absolute path if make O=$O is used.

  * This file was generated by /var/tmp/kernel-source-2.6.14_rc4-build/usr/src/linux-2.6.14-rc4-2/Kbuild

Remove the $RPM_BUILD_ROOT string in the shipped tempfile.

Signed-off-by: Olaf Hering <olh@suse.de>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Sam Ravnborg <sam@ravnborg.org>

13 years agokbuild: use in-kernel unifdef
Sam Ravnborg [Sun, 23 Jul 2006 18:47:50 +0000]
kbuild: use in-kernel unifdef

Let headers_install use in-kernel unifdef

Signed-off-by: Sam Ravnborg <sam@ravnborg.org>

13 years agokbuild: replace use of strlcpy with a dedicated implmentation in unifdef
Sam Ravnborg [Sun, 23 Jul 2006 18:41:30 +0000]
kbuild: replace use of strlcpy with a dedicated implmentation in unifdef

Signed-off-by: Sam Ravnborg <sam@ravnborg.org>

13 years agokbuild: add unifdef
Sam Ravnborg [Sun, 23 Jul 2006 18:39:59 +0000]
kbuild: add unifdef

This patch contains a raw copy of unifdef.c
Next patch will modify it and add infrastructure to use it
Adding unifdef to the kernel is acked by the author.

The reason to add unifdef as part of the kernel source is that it is not
yet a common utility on most distributions.

Signed-off-by: Sam Ravnborg <sam@ravnborg.org>

13 years agokbuild: consistently decide when to rebuild a target
Sam Ravnborg [Sun, 23 Jul 2006 17:37:44 +0000]
kbuild: consistently decide when to rebuild a target

Consistently decide when to rebuild a target across all of
if_changed, if_changed_dep, if_changed_rule.
PHONY targets are now treated alike (ignored) for all targets

While add it make Kbuild.include almost readable by factoring out a few
bits to some common variables and reuse this in Makefile.build.

Signed-off-by: Sam Ravnborg <sam@ravnborg.org>

13 years agokconfig: support DOS line endings
Matthew Wilcox [Thu, 13 Jul 2006 18:54:07 +0000]
kconfig: support DOS line endings

Kconfig doesn't currently handle config files with DOS line endings.
While these are, of course, an abomination, etc, etc, it can be handy
to not have to convert them first.  It's also a tiny patch and even adds
support for lines ending in just \r or even \n\r.

Signed-off-by: Matthew Wilcox <matthew@wil.cx>
Signed-off-by: Sam Ravnborg <sam@ravnborg.org>

13 years agoNew 'make headers_install_all' target.
David Woodhouse [Sun, 24 Sep 2006 21:16:03 +0000]
New 'make headers_install_all' target.

Install headers for _all_ architectures, suitable for making a tarball
release or extracting them for use in a separate package.

Signed-off-by: David Woodhouse <dwmw2@infradead.org>

13 years agoUse dependencies for 'make headers_install'.
David Woodhouse [Sun, 24 Sep 2006 21:15:14 +0000]
Use dependencies for 'make headers_install'.

Re-export header files only if either they or their controlling Kbuild
file has actually changed. Also allow for similar dependencies with
'headers_check', once we properly create the dependencies for those.

Signed-off-by: David Woodhouse <dwmw2@infradead.org>

13 years ago[DCCP]: Introduce dccp_probe
Ian McDonald [Fri, 22 Sep 2006 02:28:01 +0000]
[DCCP]: Introduce dccp_probe

This adds DCCP probing shamelessly ripped off from TCP probes by Stephen
Hemminger.

I've put in here support for further CCID3 variables as well.
Andrea/Arnaldo might look to extend for CCID2.

Signed-off-by: Ian McDonald <ian.mcdonald@jandi.co.nz>
Signed-off-by: Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo <acme@mandriva.com>

13 years ago[S390] Unexport <asm/z90crypt.h>, export <asm/zcrypt.h> in its place.
David Woodhouse [Sun, 24 Sep 2006 21:07:25 +0000]
[S390] Unexport <asm/z90crypt.h>, export <asm/zcrypt.h> in its place.

Signed-off-by: David Woodhouse <dwmw2@infradead.org>

13 years agoRemove dead netfilter_logging.h from include/linux/Kbuild
David Woodhouse [Sun, 24 Sep 2006 21:06:48 +0000]
Remove dead netfilter_logging.h from include/linux/Kbuild

Signed-off-by: David Woodhouse <dwmw2@infradead.org>

13 years agoMerge branch 'master' of git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6
David Woodhouse [Sun, 24 Sep 2006 21:05:59 +0000]
Merge branch 'master' of git://git./linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6

13 years ago[DCCP]: Use constants for CCIDs
Ian McDonald [Fri, 22 Sep 2006 02:26:44 +0000]
[DCCP]: Use constants for CCIDs

With constants for CCID numbers this now uses them in some places.

Signed-off-by: Ian McDonald <ian.mcdonald@jandi.co.nz>
Signed-off-by: Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo <acme@mandriva.com>

13 years ago[DCCP]: Introduce constants for CCID numbers
Ian McDonald [Fri, 22 Sep 2006 02:25:36 +0000]
[DCCP]: Introduce constants for CCID numbers

Signed-off-by: Ian McDonald <ian.mcdonald@jandi.co.nz>
Signed-off-by: Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo <acme@mandriva.com>

13 years agoocfs2: Teach ocfs2_drop_lock() to use ->set_lvb() callback
Mark Fasheh [Thu, 14 Sep 2006 21:44:51 +0000]
ocfs2: Teach ocfs2_drop_lock() to use ->set_lvb() callback

With this, we don't need to pass an additional struct with function pointer.

Now that the callbacks are fully used, comment the remaining API.

Signed-off-by: Mark Fasheh <mark.fasheh@oracle.com>

13 years agoocfs2: Remove ->unblock lockres operation
Mark Fasheh [Thu, 14 Sep 2006 05:01:16 +0000]
ocfs2: Remove ->unblock lockres operation

Have ocfs2_process_blocked_lock() call ocfs2_generic_unblock_lock(), which
gets to be ocfs2_unblock_lock() now that it's the only possible unblock
function.

Remove the ->unblock() callback from the structure, and all lock type
specific unblock functions.

Signed-off-by: Mark Fasheh <mark.fasheh@oracle.com>

13 years agoocfs2: move downconvert worker to lockres ops
Mark Fasheh [Thu, 14 Sep 2006 04:52:21 +0000]
ocfs2: move downconvert worker to lockres ops

This way lock types don't have to manually pass it to
ocfs2_generic_unblock_lock().

Signed-off-by: Mark Fasheh <mark.fasheh@oracle.com>

13 years agoocfs2: Remove unused dlmglue functions
Mark Fasheh [Thu, 14 Sep 2006 04:41:56 +0000]
ocfs2: Remove unused dlmglue functions

The meta data unblocking code no longer needs ocfs2_do_unblock_meta() or
ocfs2_can_downconvert_meta_lock(), so remove them.

Signed-off-by: Mark Fasheh <mark.fasheh@oracle.com>

13 years agoocfs2: Have the metadata lock use generic dlmglue functions
Mark Fasheh [Thu, 14 Sep 2006 04:39:52 +0000]
ocfs2: Have the metadata lock use generic dlmglue functions

Fill in the ->check_downconvert and ->set_lvb callbacks with meta data
specific operations and switch ocfs2_unblock_meta() to call
ocfs2_generic_unblock_lock()

Signed-off-by: Mark Fasheh <mark.fasheh@oracle.com>

13 years agoocfs2: Add ->set_lvb callback in dlmglue
Mark Fasheh [Thu, 14 Sep 2006 04:21:52 +0000]
ocfs2: Add ->set_lvb callback in dlmglue

This allows a lock type to set the value block before downconvert.

Signed-off-by: Mark Fasheh <mark.fasheh@oracle.com>