14 years ago[I/OAT]: Remove pci_module_init() from Intel I/OAT DMA engine
Henrik Kretzschmar [Fri, 21 Jul 2006 21:50:13 +0000]
[I/OAT]: Remove pci_module_init() from Intel I/OAT DMA engine

Changes pci_module_init() to pci_register_driver().

Signed-off-by: Henrik Kretzschmar <henne@nachtwindheim.de>
Signed-off-by: David S. Miller <davem@davemloft.net>

14 years ago[I/OAT]: net/core/user_dma.c should #include <net/netdma.h>
Adrian Bunk [Fri, 21 Jul 2006 21:49:49 +0000]
[I/OAT]: net/core/user_dma.c should #include <net/netdma.h>

Every file should #include the headers containing the prototypes for
its global functions.

Especially in cases like this one where gcc can tell us through a
compile error that the prototype was wrong...

Signed-off-by: Adrian Bunk <bunk@stusta.de>
Signed-off-by: David S. Miller <davem@davemloft.net>

14 years ago[SCTP]: ADDIP: Don't use an address as source until it is ASCONF-ACKed
Sridhar Samudrala [Fri, 21 Jul 2006 21:49:25 +0000]
[SCTP]: ADDIP: Don't use an address as source until it is ASCONF-ACKed

This implements Rules D1 and D4 of Sec 4.3 in the ADDIP draft.

Signed-off-by: Sridhar Samudrala <sri@us.ibm.com>
Signed-off-by: David S. Miller <davem@davemloft.net>

14 years ago[SCTP]: Set chunk->data_accepted only if we are going to accept it.
Sridhar Samudrala [Fri, 21 Jul 2006 21:49:07 +0000]
[SCTP]: Set chunk->data_accepted only if we are going to accept it.

Currently there is a code path in sctp_eat_data() where it is possible
to set this flag even when we are dropping this chunk.

Signed-off-by: Sridhar Samudrala <sri@us.ibm.com>
Signed-off-by: David S. Miller <davem@davemloft.net>

14 years ago[SCTP]: Verify all the paths to a peer via heartbeat before using them.
Sridhar Samudrala [Fri, 21 Jul 2006 21:48:50 +0000]
[SCTP]: Verify all the paths to a peer via heartbeat before using them.

This patch implements Path Initialization procedure as described in
Sec 2.36 of RFC4460.

Signed-off-by: Sridhar Samudrala <sri@us.ibm.com>
Signed-off-by: David S. Miller <davem@davemloft.net>

14 years ago[SCTP]: Unhash the endpoint in sctp_endpoint_free().
Vlad Yasevich [Fri, 21 Jul 2006 21:48:26 +0000]
[SCTP]: Unhash the endpoint in sctp_endpoint_free().

This prevents a race between the close of a socket and receive of an
incoming packet.

Signed-off-by: Vlad Yasevich <vladislav.yasevich@hp.com>
Signed-off-by: Sridhar Samudrala <sri@us.ibm.com>
Signed-off-by: David S. Miller <davem@davemloft.net>

14 years ago[SCTP]: Check for NULL arg to sctp_bucket_destroy().
Sridhar Samudrala [Fri, 21 Jul 2006 21:45:47 +0000]
[SCTP]: Check for NULL arg to sctp_bucket_destroy().

Signed-off-by: Sridhar Samudrala <sri@us.ibm.com>
Signed-off-by: David S. Miller <davem@davemloft.net>

14 years ago[PKT_SCHED] netem: Fix slab corruption with netem (2nd try)
Guillaume Chazarain [Fri, 21 Jul 2006 21:45:25 +0000]
[PKT_SCHED] netem: Fix slab corruption with netem (2nd try)

CONFIG_DEBUG_SLAB found the following bug:
netem_enqueue() in sch_netem.c gets a pointer inside a slab object:
struct netem_skb_cb *cb = (struct netem_skb_cb *)skb->cb;
But then, the slab object may be freed:
skb = skb_unshare(skb, GFP_ATOMIC)
cb is still pointing inside the freed skb, so here is a patch to
initialize cb later, and make it clear that initializing it sooner
is a bad idea.

[From Stephen Hemminger: leave cb unitialized in order to let gcc
complain in case of use before initialization]

Signed-off-by: Guillaume Chazarain <guichaz@yahoo.fr>
Signed-off-by: David S. Miller <davem@davemloft.net>

14 years ago[WAN]: Converted synclink drivers to use netif_carrier_*()
Krzysztof Halasa [Fri, 21 Jul 2006 21:44:55 +0000]
[WAN]: Converted synclink drivers to use netif_carrier_*()

WAN: Converted synclink drivers to use netif_carrier_*() instead
of hdlc_set_carrier().

Signed-off-by: Krzysztof Halasa <khc@pm.waw.pl>
Signed-off-by: David S. Miller <davem@davemloft.net>

14 years ago[WAN]: Cosmetic changes to N2 and C101 drivers
Krzysztof Halasa [Fri, 21 Jul 2006 21:41:36 +0000]
[WAN]: Cosmetic changes to N2 and C101 drivers

WAN: Cosmetic changes to N2 and C101 drivers

Signed-off-by: Krzysztof Halasa <khc@pm.waw.pl>
Signed-off-by: David S. Miller <davem@davemloft.net>

14 years ago[WAN]: Added missing netif_dormant_off() to generic HDLC
Krzysztof Halasa [Fri, 21 Jul 2006 21:41:01 +0000]
[WAN]: Added missing netif_dormant_off() to generic HDLC

WAN: Fixed a problem with PPP/raw HDLC/X.25 protocols not doing
netif_dormant_off() at startup.

Signed-off-by: Krzysztof Halasa <khc@pm.waw.pl>
Signed-off-by: David S. Miller <davem@davemloft.net>

14 years ago[IPV4]: Get rid of redundant IPCB->opts initialisation
Herbert Xu [Fri, 21 Jul 2006 21:29:53 +0000]
[IPV4]: Get rid of redundant IPCB->opts initialisation

Now that we always zero the IPCB->opts in ip_rcv, it is no longer
necessary to do so before calling netif_rx for tunneled packets.

Signed-off-by: Herbert Xu <herbert@gondor.apana.org.au>
Signed-off-by: David S. Miller <davem@davemloft.net>

14 years agoMerge master.kernel.org:/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/jejb/scsi-rc-fixes-2.6
Linus Torvalds [Fri, 21 Jul 2006 19:04:53 +0000]
Merge /linux/kernel/git/jejb/scsi-rc-fixes-2.6

* master.kernel.org:/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/jejb/scsi-rc-fixes-2.6: (38 commits)
  [SCSI] More buffer->request_buffer changes
  [SCSI] mptfusion: bump version to 3.04.01
  [SCSI] mptfusion: misc fix's
  [SCSI] mptfusion: firmware download boot fix's
  [SCSI] mptfusion: task abort fix's
  [SCSI] mptfusion: sas nexus loss support
  [SCSI] mptfusion: sas loginfo update
  [SCSI] mptfusion: mptctl panic when loading
  [SCSI] mptfusion: sas enclosures with smart drive
  [SCSI] NCR_D700: misc fixes (section and argument ordering)
  [SCSI] scsi_debug: must_check fixes
  [SCSI] scsi_transport_sas: kill the use of channel
  [SCSI] scsi_transport_sas: add expander backlink
  [SCSI] hide EH backup data outside the scsi_cmnd
  [SCSI] ibmvscsi: handle inactive SCSI target during probe
  [SCSI] ibmvscsi: allocate lpevents for ibmvscsi on iseries
  [SCSI] aic7[9x]xx: Remove last vestiges of reverse_scan
  [SCSI] aha152x: stop poking at saved scsi_cmnd members
  [SCSI] st.c: Improve sense output
  [SCSI] lpfc 8.1.7: Change version number to 8.1.7
  ...

14 years agoMerge branch 'for-linus' of git://git390.osdl.marist.edu/pub/scm/linux-2.6
Linus Torvalds [Fri, 21 Jul 2006 19:03:57 +0000]
Merge branch 'for-linus' of git://git390.osdl.marist.edu/linux-2.6

* 'for-linus' of git://git390.osdl.marist.edu/pub/scm/linux-2.6:
  [S390] sysfs_create_xxx return values.
  [S390] .align 4096 statements in head.S
  [S390] get_clock inline assembly.
  [S390] channel measurement interval display.
  [S390] xpram module parameter parsing - take 2.
  [S390] Fix gcc warning about unused return values.

14 years agoMerge branch 'upstream-linus' of master.kernel.org:/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/jgarzik...
Linus Torvalds [Fri, 21 Jul 2006 19:03:32 +0000]
Merge branch 'upstream-linus' of /linux/kernel/git/jgarzik/netdev-2.6

* 'upstream-linus' of master.kernel.org:/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/jgarzik/netdev-2.6:
  [PATCH] spidernet: rework tx queue handling
  [PATCH] spidernet: bug fix for init code
  [PATCH] sky2: NAPI poll fix
  [NET] ethtool: fix oops by testing correct struct member
  e1000: bump version to 7.1.9-k4
  e1000: fix panic on large frame receive when mtu=default
  e1000: remove CRC bytes from measured packet length
  e1000: Redo netpoll fix to address community concerns

14 years ago[S390] sysfs_create_xxx return values.
Heiko Carstens [Tue, 18 Jul 2006 11:46:58 +0000]
[S390] sysfs_create_xxx return values.

Take return values of sysfs_create_group & friends into account.

Signed-off-by: Heiko Carstens <heiko.carstens@de.ibm.com>
Signed-off-by: Martin Schwidefsky <schwidefsky@de.ibm.com>

14 years ago[S390] .align 4096 statements in head.S
Heiko Carstens [Tue, 18 Jul 2006 11:44:57 +0000]
[S390] .align 4096 statements in head.S

SLES9 binutils don't like .align 4096 statements in head.S. Work around this
by using .org statements.

Signed-off-by: Heiko Carstens <heiko.carstens@de.ibm.com>
Signed-off-by: Martin Schwidefsky <schwidefsky@de.ibm.com>

14 years ago[PATCH] spidernet: rework tx queue handling
Jens Osterkamp [Thu, 13 Jul 2006 09:54:08 +0000]
[PATCH] spidernet: rework tx queue handling

With this patch TX queue descriptors are not chained per default any more.
The pointer to next descriptor is set only when next descriptor is prepaired
for transfer. Also the mechanism of checking wether Spider is ready has been
changed: it checks not for CARDOWNED flag in status of previous descriptor
but for a TXDMAENABLED flag in Spider's register.

Signed-off-by: Maxim Shchetynin <maxim@de.ibm.com>
Signed-off-by: Arnd Bergmann <arnd.bergmann@de.ibm.com>
Signed-off-by: Jens Osterkamp <Jens.Osterkamp@de.ibm.com>
Signed-off-by: Jeff Garzik <jeff@garzik.org>

14 years ago[PATCH] spidernet: bug fix for init code
Jens Osterkamp [Thu, 13 Jul 2006 09:54:23 +0000]
[PATCH] spidernet: bug fix for init code

We want to intitialize addr instead of data register first.

Signed-off-by: Jens Osterkamp <Jens.Osterkamp@de.ibm.com>
Signed-off-by: Arnd Bergmann <arnd.bergmann@de.ibm.com>
Signed-off-by: Jeff Garzik <jeff@garzik.org>

14 years ago[PATCH] sky2: NAPI poll fix
Stephen Hemminger [Mon, 17 Jul 2006 13:54:34 +0000]
[PATCH] sky2: NAPI poll fix

When sky2 driver gets lots of received packets at once, it can get stuck.
The NAPI poll routine gets called back to keep going, but since no IRQ bits
are set it doesn't make progress.

Increase version, since this is serious enough problem that I want to be
able to tell new from old problems.

Signed-off-by: Stephen Hemminger <shemminger@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Jeff Garzik <jeff@garzik.org>

14 years agoMerge branch 'upstream-fixes-jgarzik' of git://lost.foo-projects.org/~ahkok/git/netde...
Jeff Garzik [Mon, 17 Jul 2006 17:26:52 +0000]
Merge branch 'upstream-fixes-jgarzik' of git://lost.foo-projects.org/~ahkok/git/netdev-2.6 into upstream-fixes

14 years ago[NET] ethtool: fix oops by testing correct struct member
Jeff Garzik [Mon, 17 Jul 2006 16:54:40 +0000]
[NET] ethtool: fix oops by testing correct struct member

Noticed by Willy Tarreau.

Signed-off-by: Jeff Garzik <jeff@garzik.org>

14 years ago[S390] get_clock inline assembly.
Andreas Krebbel [Mon, 17 Jul 2006 14:09:42 +0000]
[S390] get_clock inline assembly.

Add missing volatile to the get_clock / get_cycles inline assemblies
to avoid that consecutive calls get optimized away.

Signed-off-by: Andreas Krebbel <krebbel1@de.ibm.com>
Signed-off-by: Martin Schwidefsky <schwidefsky@de.ibm.com>

14 years ago[S390] channel measurement interval display.
Cornelia Huck [Mon, 17 Jul 2006 14:09:28 +0000]
[S390] channel measurement interval display.

Display avg_sample_interval in nanoseconds, like it is documented.

Signed-off-by: Cornelia Huck <cornelia.huck@de.ibm.com>
Signed-off-by: Martin Schwidefsky <schwidefsky@de.ibm.com>

14 years ago[S390] xpram module parameter parsing - take 2.
Heiko Carstens [Mon, 17 Jul 2006 14:09:23 +0000]
[S390] xpram module parameter parsing - take 2.

Don't use memparse since the default size modifier is 'k'.

Signed-off-by: Heiko Carstens <heiko.carstens@de.ibm.com>
Signed-off-by: Martin Schwidefsky <schwidefsky@de.ibm.com>

14 years ago[S390] Fix gcc warning about unused return values.
Heiko Carstens [Mon, 17 Jul 2006 14:09:18 +0000]
[S390] Fix gcc warning about unused return values.

Signed-off-by: Heiko Carstens <heiko.carstens@de.ibm.com>
Signed-off-by: Martin Schwidefsky <schwidefsky@de.ibm.com>

14 years ago[libata] ata_piix: correct 'invalid MAP value' typo-caused error
Jeff Garzik [Tue, 11 Jul 2006 19:28:12 +0000]
[libata] ata_piix: correct 'invalid MAP value' typo-caused error

Signed-off-by: Jeff Garzik <jeff@garzik.org>

14 years ago[libata] ata_piix: minor cleanups noticed in prior patch run
Jeff Garzik [Tue, 11 Jul 2006 17:11:17 +0000]
[libata] ata_piix: minor cleanups noticed in prior patch run

* delete unused PIIX_FLAG_COMBINED*
* port_enable should be u16 rather than u32

Signed-off-by: Jeff Garzik <jeff@garzik.org>

14 years ago[libata] ata_piix: attempt to fix ICH8 support
Jeff Garzik [Tue, 11 Jul 2006 15:57:44 +0000]
[libata] ata_piix: attempt to fix ICH8 support

Take into account the fact that ICH8 changed the register layout of
the MAP and PCS register bits.

Signed-off-by: Jeff Garzik <jeff@garzik.org>

14 years ago[libata] ata_piix: Consolidate PCS register writing
Jeff Garzik [Tue, 11 Jul 2006 15:48:50 +0000]
[libata] ata_piix: Consolidate PCS register writing

Prior to this patch, the driver would do this for each port:
read 8-bit PCS
write 8-bit PCS
read 8-bit PCS
write 8-bit PCS

In the field, flaky behavior has been observed related to this register.
In particular, these overzealous register writes can cause misdetection
problems.

Update to do the following once (not once per port) at boot:
read 16-bit PCS
if needs changing,
write 16-bit PCS

And thereafter, we only perform a 'read 16-bit PCS' per port.

This should eliminate all PCS writes in many cases, and be more friendly
in the cases where we do need to enable ports.

Signed-off-by: Jeff Garzik <jeff@garzik.org>

14 years ago[PATCH] ata_piix: add host_set private structure
Tejun Heo [Wed, 28 Jun 2006 16:58:28 +0000]
[PATCH] ata_piix: add host_set private structure

Add host_set private structure piix_host_priv.  Currently the only
field is ->map which used to be stored directly at
host_set->private_data.  This change allows more host_set private
fields to be added.

Signed-off-by: Tejun Heo <htejun@gmail.com>
Signed-off-by: Jeff Garzik <jeff@garzik.org>

14 years agoLinux 2.6.18-rc2
Linus Torvalds [Sat, 15 Jul 2006 21:53:08 +0000]
Linux 2.6.18-rc2

Finishing up for the kernel summit. Ottawa, here I come.

Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

14 years agoMerge branch 'for-linus' of git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/shaggy...
Linus Torvalds [Sat, 15 Jul 2006 21:43:30 +0000]
Merge branch 'for-linus' of git://git./linux/kernel/git/shaggy/jfs-2.6

* 'for-linus' of git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/shaggy/jfs-2.6:
  JFS: commit_mutex cleanups

14 years ago[PATCH] UML - fix utsname build breakage
Jeff Dike [Fri, 14 Jul 2006 19:52:23 +0000]
[PATCH] UML - fix utsname build breakage

Some -mm-only material leaked into a patch destined for mainline, and I didn't
notice.

This was the replacement of system_utsname with utsname() that's required by
the uts namespace patch.  This patch reverts those changes (which are correct
in -mm) so that mainline UML builds again.

Signed-off-by: Jeff Dike <jdike@addtoit.com>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

14 years agoDon't allow chmod() on the /proc/<pid>/ files
Linus Torvalds [Sat, 15 Jul 2006 19:26:45 +0000]
Don't allow chmod() on the /proc/<pid>/ files

This just turns off chmod() on the /proc/<pid>/ files, since there is no
good reason to allow it, and had we disallowed it originally, the nasty
/proc race exploit wouldn't have been possible.

The other patches already fixed the problem chmod() could cause, so this
is really just some final mop-up..

This particular version is based off a patch by Eugene and Marcel which
had much better naming than my original equivalent one.

Signed-off-by: Eugene Teo <eteo@redhat.com>
Signed-off-by: Marcel Holtmann <marcel@holtmann.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

14 years agoMark /proc MS_NOSUID and MS_NOEXEC
Linus Torvalds [Sat, 15 Jul 2006 19:20:05 +0000]
Mark /proc MS_NOSUID and MS_NOEXEC

Not that we really need this any more, but at the same time there's no
reason not to do this.

Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

14 years ago[PATCH] sch_htb compile fix.
Dave Jones [Sat, 15 Jul 2006 07:41:12 +0000]
[PATCH] sch_htb compile fix.

net/sched/sch_htb.c: In function 'htb_change_class':
net/sched/sch_htb.c:1605: error: expected ';' before 'do_gettimeofday'

Signed-off-by: Dave Jones <davej@redhat.com>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

14 years agoMerge master.kernel.org:/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/herbert/crypto-2.6
Linus Torvalds [Sat, 15 Jul 2006 04:57:45 +0000]
Merge /pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/herbert/crypto-2.6

* master.kernel.org:/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/herbert/crypto-2.6:
  [CRYPTO] padlock: Fix alignment after aes_ctx rearrange

14 years agoMerge master.kernel.org:/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/davem/sparc-2.6
Linus Torvalds [Sat, 15 Jul 2006 04:57:23 +0000]
Merge /pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/davem/sparc-2.6

* master.kernel.org:/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/davem/sparc-2.6:
  [SPARC64] Fix PSYCHO PCI controler init.
  [SPARC64] psycho: Fix pbm->name handling in pbm_register_toplevel_resources()
  [SERIAL] sunsab: Fix significant typo in sab_probe()
  [SERIAL] sunsu: Report keyboard and mouse ports in kernel log.
  [SPARC64]: Make sure IRQs are disabled properly during early boot.

14 years agoMerge master.kernel.org:/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/davem/net-2.6
Linus Torvalds [Sat, 15 Jul 2006 04:57:06 +0000]
Merge /pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/davem/net-2.6

* master.kernel.org:/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/davem/net-2.6:
  [VLAN]: __vlan_hwaccel_rx can use the faster ether_compare_addr
  [PKT_SCHED] HTB: initialize upper bound properly
  [IPV4]: Clear skb cb on IP input
  [NET]: Update frag_list in pskb_trim

14 years ago[PATCH] remove set_wmb - arch removal
Steven Rostedt [Fri, 14 Jul 2006 20:05:03 +0000]
[PATCH] remove set_wmb - arch removal

set_wmb should not be used in the kernel because it just confuses the
code more and has no benefit.  Since it is not currently used in the
kernel this patch removes it so that new code does not include it.

All archs define set_wmb(var, value) to do { var = value; wmb(); }
while(0) except ia64 and sparc which use a mb() instead.  But this is
still moot since it is not used anyway.

Hasn't been tested on any archs but x86 and x86_64 (and only compiled
tested)

Signed-off-by: Steven Rostedt <rostedt@goodmis.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

14 years ago[PATCH] remove set_wmb - doc update
Steven Rostedt [Fri, 14 Jul 2006 20:05:01 +0000]
[PATCH] remove set_wmb - doc update

This patch removes the reference to set_wmb from memory-barriers.txt
since it shouldn't be used.

Signed-off-by: Steven Rostedt <rostedt@goodmis.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

14 years ago[PATCH] Remove down_write() from taskstats code invoked on the exit() path
Shailabh Nagar [Fri, 14 Jul 2006 07:24:47 +0000]
[PATCH] Remove down_write() from taskstats code invoked on the exit() path

In send_cpu_listeners(), which is called on the exit path, a down_write()
was protecting operations like skb_clone() and genlmsg_unicast() that do
GFP_KERNEL allocations.  If the oom-killer decides to kill tasks to satisfy
the allocations,the exit of those tasks could block on the same semphore.

The down_write() was only needed to allow removal of invalid listeners from
the listener list.  The patch converts the down_write to a down_read and
defers the removal to a separate critical region.  This ensures that even
if the oom-killer is called, no other task's exit is blocked as it can
still acquire another down_read.

Thanks to Andrew Morton & Herbert Xu for pointing out the oom related
pitfalls, and to Chandra Seetharaman for suggesting this fix instead of
using something more complex like RCU.

Signed-off-by: Chandra Seetharaman <sekharan@us.ibm.com>
Signed-off-by: Shailabh Nagar <nagar@watson.ibm.com>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

14 years ago[PATCH] per-task delay accounting taskstats interface: control exit data through...
Shailabh Nagar [Fri, 14 Jul 2006 07:24:47 +0000]
[PATCH] per-task delay accounting taskstats interface: control exit data through cpumasks

On systems with a large number of cpus, with even a modest rate of tasks
exiting per cpu, the volume of taskstats data sent on thread exit can
overflow a userspace listener's buffers.

One approach to avoiding overflow is to allow listeners to get data for a
limited and specific set of cpus.  By scaling the number of listeners
and/or the cpus they monitor, userspace can handle the statistical data
overload more gracefully.

In this patch, each listener registers to listen to a specific set of cpus
by specifying a cpumask.  The interest is recorded per-cpu.  When a task
exits on a cpu, its taskstats data is unicast to each listener interested
in that cpu.

Thanks to Andrew Morton for pointing out the various scalability and
general concerns of previous attempts and for suggesting this design.

[akpm@osdl.org: build fix]
Signed-off-by: Shailabh Nagar <nagar@watson.ibm.com>
Signed-off-by: Balbir Singh <balbir@in.ibm.com>
Signed-off-by: Chandra Seetharaman <sekharan@us.ibm.com>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

14 years ago[PATCH] per-task delay accounting: avoid send without listeners
Shailabh Nagar [Fri, 14 Jul 2006 07:24:46 +0000]
[PATCH] per-task delay accounting: avoid send without listeners

Don't send taskstats (per-pid or per-tgid) on thread exit when no one is
listening for such data.

Currently the taskstats interface allocates a structure, fills it in and
calls netlink to send out per-pid and per-tgid stats regardless of whether
a userspace listener for the data exists (netlink layer would check for
that and avoid the multicast).

As a result of this patch, the check for the no-listener case is performed
early, avoiding the redundant allocation and filling up of the taskstats
structures.

Signed-off-by: Balbir Singh <balbir@in.ibm.com>
Signed-off-by: Shailabh Nagar <nagar@watson.ibm.com>
Cc: Jay Lan <jlan@engr.sgi.com>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

14 years ago[PATCH] per task delay accounting taskstats interface: documentation fix
Shailabh Nagar [Fri, 14 Jul 2006 07:24:45 +0000]
[PATCH] per task delay accounting taskstats interface: documentation fix

Change documentation and example program to reflect the flow control issues
being addressed by the cpumask changes.

Signed-off-by: Shailabh Nagar <nagar@watson.ibm.com>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

14 years ago[PATCH] delay accounting taskstats interface send tgid once
Shailabh Nagar [Fri, 14 Jul 2006 07:24:44 +0000]
[PATCH] delay accounting taskstats interface send tgid once

Send per-tgid data only once during exit of a thread group instead of once
with each member thread exit.

Currently, when a thread exits, besides its per-tid data, the per-tgid data
of its thread group is also sent out, if its thread group is non-empty.
The per-tgid data sent consists of the sum of per-tid stats for all
*remaining* threads of the thread group.

This patch modifies this sending in two ways:

- the per-tgid data is sent only when the last thread of a thread group
  exits.  This cuts down heavily on the overhead of sending/receiving
  per-tgid data, especially when other exploiters of the taskstats
  interface aren't interested in per-tgid stats

- the semantics of the per-tgid data sent are changed.  Instead of being
  the sum of per-tid data for remaining threads, the value now sent is the
  true total accumalated statistics for all threads that are/were part of
  the thread group.

The patch also addresses a minor issue where failure of one accounting
subsystem to fill in the taskstats structure was causing the send of
taskstats to not be sent at all.

The patch has been tested for stability and run cerberus for over 4 hours
on an SMP.

[akpm@osdl.org: bugfixes]
Signed-off-by: Shailabh Nagar <nagar@watson.ibm.com>
Signed-off-by: Balbir Singh <balbir@in.ibm.com>
Cc: Jay Lan <jlan@engr.sgi.com>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

14 years ago[PATCH] per-task-delay-accounting: /proc export of aggregated block I/O delays
Shailabh Nagar [Fri, 14 Jul 2006 07:24:43 +0000]
[PATCH] per-task-delay-accounting: /proc export of aggregated block I/O delays

Export I/O delays seen by a task through /proc/<tgid>/stats for use in top
etc.

Note that delays for I/O done for swapping in pages (swapin I/O) is clubbed
together with all other I/O here (this is not the case in the netlink
interface where the swapin I/O is kept distinct)

[akpm@osdl.org: printk warning fix]
Signed-off-by: Shailabh Nagar <nagar@watson.ibm.com>
Signed-off-by: Balbir Singh <balbir@in.ibm.com>
Cc: Jes Sorensen <jes@sgi.com>
Cc: Peter Chubb <peterc@gelato.unsw.edu.au>
Cc: Erich Focht <efocht@ess.nec.de>
Cc: Levent Serinol <lserinol@gmail.com>
Cc: Jay Lan <jlan@engr.sgi.com>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

14 years ago[PATCH] per-task-delay-accounting: documentation
Shailabh Nagar [Fri, 14 Jul 2006 07:24:42 +0000]
[PATCH] per-task-delay-accounting: documentation

Some documentation for delay accounting.

Signed-off-by: Shailabh Nagar <nagar@watson.ibm.com>
Signed-off-by: Balbir Singh <balbir@in.ibm.com>
Cc: Jes Sorensen <jes@sgi.com>
Cc: Peter Chubb <peterc@gelato.unsw.edu.au>
Cc: Erich Focht <efocht@ess.nec.de>
Cc: Levent Serinol <lserinol@gmail.com>
Cc: Jay Lan <jlan@engr.sgi.com>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

14 years ago[PATCH] per-task-delay-accounting: delay accounting usage of taskstats interface
Shailabh Nagar [Fri, 14 Jul 2006 07:24:41 +0000]
[PATCH] per-task-delay-accounting: delay accounting usage of taskstats interface

Usage of taskstats interface by delay accounting.

Signed-off-by: Shailabh Nagar <nagar@us.ibm.com>
Signed-off-by: Balbir Singh <balbir@in.ibm.com>
Cc: Jes Sorensen <jes@sgi.com>
Cc: Peter Chubb <peterc@gelato.unsw.edu.au>
Cc: Erich Focht <efocht@ess.nec.de>
Cc: Levent Serinol <lserinol@gmail.com>
Cc: Jay Lan <jlan@engr.sgi.com>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

14 years ago[PATCH] per-task-delay-accounting: taskstats interface
Shailabh Nagar [Fri, 14 Jul 2006 07:24:40 +0000]
[PATCH] per-task-delay-accounting: taskstats interface

Create a "taskstats" interface based on generic netlink (NETLINK_GENERIC
family), for getting statistics of tasks and thread groups during their
lifetime and when they exit.  The interface is intended for use by multiple
accounting packages though it is being created in the context of delay
accounting.

This patch creates the interface without populating the fields of the data
that is sent to the user in response to a command or upon the exit of a task.
Each accounting package interested in using taskstats has to provide an
additional patch to add its stats to the common structure.

[akpm@osdl.org: cleanups, Kconfig fix]
Signed-off-by: Shailabh Nagar <nagar@us.ibm.com>
Signed-off-by: Balbir Singh <balbir@in.ibm.com>
Cc: Jes Sorensen <jes@sgi.com>
Cc: Peter Chubb <peterc@gelato.unsw.edu.au>
Cc: Erich Focht <efocht@ess.nec.de>
Cc: Levent Serinol <lserinol@gmail.com>
Cc: Jay Lan <jlan@engr.sgi.com>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

14 years ago[PATCH] per-task-delay-accounting: utilities for genetlink usage
Balbir Singh [Fri, 14 Jul 2006 07:24:39 +0000]
[PATCH] per-task-delay-accounting: utilities for genetlink usage

Two utilities for simplifying usage of NETLINK_GENERIC interface.

Signed-off-by: Balbir Singh <balbir@in.ibm.com>
Signed-off-by: Shailabh Nagar <nagar@watson.ibm.com>
Cc: Jes Sorensen <jes@sgi.com>
Cc: Peter Chubb <peterc@gelato.unsw.edu.au>
Cc: Erich Focht <efocht@ess.nec.de>
Cc: Levent Serinol <lserinol@gmail.com>
Cc: Jay Lan <jlan@engr.sgi.com>
Cc: "David S. Miller" <davem@davemloft.net>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

14 years ago[PATCH] per-task-delay-accounting: cpu delay collection via schedstats
Chandra Seetharaman [Fri, 14 Jul 2006 07:24:38 +0000]
[PATCH] per-task-delay-accounting: cpu delay collection via schedstats

Make the task-related schedstats functions callable by delay accounting even
if schedstats collection isn't turned on.  This removes the dependency of
delay accounting on schedstats.

Signed-off-by: Chandra Seetharaman <sekharan@us.ibm.com>
Signed-off-by: Shailabh Nagar <nagar@watson.ibm.com>
Signed-off-by: Balbir Singh <balbir@in.ibm.com>
Cc: Jes Sorensen <jes@sgi.com>
Cc: Peter Chubb <peterc@gelato.unsw.edu.au>
Cc: Erich Focht <efocht@ess.nec.de>
Cc: Levent Serinol <lserinol@gmail.com>
Cc: Jay Lan <jlan@engr.sgi.com>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

14 years ago[PATCH] per-task-delay-accounting: sync block I/O and swapin delay collection
Shailabh Nagar [Fri, 14 Jul 2006 07:24:37 +0000]
[PATCH] per-task-delay-accounting: sync block I/O and swapin delay collection

Unlike earlier iterations of the delay accounting patches, now delays are only
collected for the actual I/O waits rather than try and cover the delays seen
in I/O submission paths.

Account separately for block I/O delays incurred as a result of swapin page
faults whose frequency can be affected by the task/process' rss limit.  Hence
swapin delays can act as feedback for rss limit changes independent of I/O
priority changes.

Signed-off-by: Shailabh Nagar <nagar@watson.ibm.com>
Signed-off-by: Balbir Singh <balbir@in.ibm.com>
Cc: Jes Sorensen <jes@sgi.com>
Cc: Peter Chubb <peterc@gelato.unsw.edu.au>
Cc: Erich Focht <efocht@ess.nec.de>
Cc: Levent Serinol <lserinol@gmail.com>
Cc: Jay Lan <jlan@engr.sgi.com>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

14 years ago[PATCH] per-task-delay-accounting: setup
Shailabh Nagar [Fri, 14 Jul 2006 07:24:36 +0000]
[PATCH] per-task-delay-accounting: setup

Initialization code related to collection of per-task "delay" statistics which
measure how long it had to wait for cpu, sync block io, swapping etc.  The
collection of statistics and the interface are in other patches.  This patch
sets up the data structures and allows the statistics collection to be
disabled through a kernel boot parameter.

Signed-off-by: Shailabh Nagar <nagar@watson.ibm.com>
Signed-off-by: Balbir Singh <balbir@in.ibm.com>
Cc: Jes Sorensen <jes@sgi.com>
Cc: Peter Chubb <peterc@gelato.unsw.edu.au>
Cc: Erich Focht <efocht@ess.nec.de>
Cc: Levent Serinol <lserinol@gmail.com>
Cc: Jay Lan <jlan@engr.sgi.com>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

14 years ago[PATCH] list_is_last utility
Shailabh Nagar [Fri, 14 Jul 2006 07:24:35 +0000]
[PATCH] list_is_last utility

Add another list utility function to check for last element in a list.

Signed-off-by: Shailabh Nagar <nagar@watson.ibm.com>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

14 years ago[PATCH] mbxfb: Add framebuffer driver for the Intel 2700G
Mike Rapoport [Fri, 14 Jul 2006 07:24:34 +0000]
[PATCH] mbxfb: Add framebuffer driver for the Intel 2700G

Add frame buffer driver for the 2700G LCD controller present on CompuLab
CM-X270 computer module.

[adaplas]
- Add more informative help text to Kconfig
- Make DEBUG a Kconfig option as FB_MBX_DEBUG
- Remove #include mbxdebug.c, this is frowned upon
- Remove redundant casts
- Arrange #include's alphabetically
- Trivial whitespace

Signed-off-by: Mike Rapoport <mike@compulab.co.il>
Signed-off-by: Antonino Daplas <adaplas@pol.net>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

14 years ago[PATCH] Fix security check for joint context= and fscontext= mount options
Eric Paris [Fri, 14 Jul 2006 07:24:33 +0000]
[PATCH] Fix security check for joint context= and fscontext= mount options

After some discussion on the actual meaning of the filesystem class
security check in try context mount it was determined that the checks for
the context= mount options were not correct if fscontext mount option had
already been used.

When labeling the superblock we should be checking relabel_from and
relabel_to.  But if the superblock has already been labeled (with
fscontext) then context= is actually labeling the inodes, and so we should
be checking relabel_from and associate.  This patch fixes which checks are
called depending on the mount options.

Signed-off-by: Eric Paris <eparis@redhat.com>
Acked-by: Stephen Smalley <sds@tycho.nsa.gov>
Acked-by: James Morris <jmorris@namei.org>
Cc: Chris Wright <chrisw@sous-sol.org>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

14 years ago[PATCH] let the the lockdep options depend on DEBUG_KERNEL
Adrian Bunk [Fri, 14 Jul 2006 07:24:32 +0000]
[PATCH] let the the lockdep options depend on DEBUG_KERNEL

The lockdep options should depend on DEBUG_KERNEL since:
- they are kernel debugging options and
- they do otherwise break the DEBUG_KERNEL menu structure

Signed-off-by: Adrian Bunk <bunk@stusta.de>
Acked-by: Ingo Molnar <mingo@elte.hu>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

14 years ago[PATCH] tpm_tis: use resource_size_t
Kylene Jo Hall [Fri, 14 Jul 2006 07:24:31 +0000]
[PATCH] tpm_tis: use resource_size_t

Fix the start and len variables that should be using the new
resource_size_t.

Signed_off_by: Kylene Hall <kjhall@us.ibm.com>

Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

14 years ago[PATCH] tpm: Add force device probe option
Kylene Jo Hall [Fri, 14 Jul 2006 07:24:31 +0000]
[PATCH] tpm: Add force device probe option

Some machine manufacturers are not sticking to the TCG specifications and
including an ACPI DSDT entry for the TPM which allows PNP discovery of the
device.

Signed-off-by: Kylene Hall <kjhall@us.ibm.com>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

14 years ago[PATCH] tpm: interrupt clear fix
Kylene Jo Hall [Fri, 14 Jul 2006 07:24:30 +0000]
[PATCH] tpm: interrupt clear fix

Under stress testing I found that the interrupt is not always cleared.

Signed-off-by: Kylene Hall <kjhall@us.ibm.com>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

14 years ago[PATCH] symlink nesting level change
Al Viro [Fri, 14 Jul 2006 07:24:29 +0000]
[PATCH] symlink nesting level change

It's way past time to bump it to 8.  Everyone had been warned - for
months now.

RH kernels have had this for more than a year.

Signed-off-by: Al Viro <viro@zeniv.linux.org.uk>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

14 years ago[PATCH] actual mailing list in MAINTAINERS
Randy Dunlap [Fri, 14 Jul 2006 07:24:29 +0000]
[PATCH] actual mailing list in MAINTAINERS

Add actual mailing list email addresses for the 4 that were only listing a
web page.

Signed-off-by: Randy Dunlap <rdunlap@xenotime.net>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

14 years ago[PATCH] TPM: fix failure path leak
Randy Dunlap [Fri, 14 Jul 2006 07:24:28 +0000]
[PATCH] TPM: fix failure path leak

kfree(devname) on the misc_register() failure path.  Otherwise it is lost
forever.

Signed-off-by: Randy Dunlap <rdunlap@xenotime.net>
Cc: Kylene Jo Hall <kjhall@us.ibm.com>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

14 years ago[PATCH] lockdep: core, fix rq-lock handling on __ARCH_WANT_UNLOCKED_CTXSW
Ingo Molnar [Fri, 14 Jul 2006 07:24:27 +0000]
[PATCH] lockdep: core, fix rq-lock handling on __ARCH_WANT_UNLOCKED_CTXSW

On platforms that have __ARCH_WANT_UNLOCKED_CTXSW set and want to implement
lock validator support there's a bug in rq->lock handling: in this case we
dont 'carry over' the runqueue lock into another task - but still we did a
spinlock_release() of it.  Fix this by making the spinlock_release() in
context_switch() dependent on !__ARCH_WANT_UNLOCKED_CTXSW.

(Reported by Ralf Baechle on MIPS, which has __ARCH_WANT_UNLOCKED_CTXSW.
This fixes a lockdep-internal BUG message on such platforms.)

Signed-off-by: Ingo Molnar <mingo@elte.hu>
Cc: Ralf Baechle <ralf@linux-mips.org>
Cc: Arjan van de Ven <arjan@linux.intel.com>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

14 years ago[PATCH] gpio: rename exported vtables to better match purpose
Jim Cromie [Fri, 14 Jul 2006 07:24:26 +0000]
[PATCH] gpio: rename exported vtables to better match purpose

- rename EXPORTed gpio vtables from {scx200,pc8736x}_access to _gpio_ops new
  name is much closer to the vtable-name struct nsc_gpio_ops, should be
  clearer.  Also rename the _fops vtable var to _fileops to better
  disambiguate it from the gpio vtable.

Signed-off-by: Jim Cromie <jim.cromie@gmail.com>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

14 years ago[PATCH] gpio: cosmetics: remove needless newlines
Jim Cromie [Fri, 14 Jul 2006 07:24:26 +0000]
[PATCH] gpio: cosmetics: remove needless newlines

- pure cosmetics: lose needless newlines.

- rename EXPORTed gpio vtables from {scx200,pc8736x}_access to _gpio_ops new
  name is much closer to the vtable-name struct nsc_gpio_ops, should be
  clearer.  Also rename the _fops vtable var to _fileops to better
  disambiguate it from the gpio vtable.

Signed-off-by: Jim Cromie <jim.cromie@gmail.com>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

14 years ago[PATCH] gpio: drop vtable members .gpio_set_high .gpio_set_low gpio_set is enough
Jim Cromie [Fri, 14 Jul 2006 07:24:25 +0000]
[PATCH] gpio: drop vtable members .gpio_set_high .gpio_set_low gpio_set is enough

drops gpio_set_high, gpio_set_low from the nsc_gpio_ops vtable.  While we
can't drop them from scx200_gpio (or can we?), we dont need them for new users
of the exported vtable; gpio_set(1), gpio_set(0) work fine.

Signed-off-by: Jim Cromie <jim.cromie@gmail.com>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

14 years ago[PATCH] Remove pci_dac_set_dma_mask() from Documentation/DMA-mapping.txt
Rolf Eike Beer [Fri, 14 Jul 2006 07:24:24 +0000]
[PATCH] Remove pci_dac_set_dma_mask() from Documentation/DMA-mapping.txt

pci_dac_set_dma_mask() gives only a single match in the whole kernel tree
and that's in this doc file.  The best candidate for replacement is
pci_dac_dma_supported().

Signed-off-by: Rolf Eike Beer <eike-kernel@sf-tec.de>
Cc: Greg KH <greg@kroah.com>
Acked-by: "David S. Miller" <davem@davemloft.net>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

14 years ago[PATCH] add function documentation for register_chrdev()
Rolf Eike Beer [Fri, 14 Jul 2006 07:24:23 +0000]
[PATCH] add function documentation for register_chrdev()

Documentation for register_chrdev() was missing completely.

[akpm@osdl.org: kerneldocification]
Signed-off-by: Rolf Eike Beer <eike-kernel@sf-tec.de>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

14 years ago[PATCH] Convert idr's internal locking to _irqsave variant
Roland Dreier [Fri, 14 Jul 2006 07:24:23 +0000]
[PATCH] Convert idr's internal locking to _irqsave variant

Currently, the code in lib/idr.c uses a bare spin_lock(&idp->lock) to do
internal locking.  This is a nasty trap for code that might call idr
functions from different contexts; for example, it seems perfectly
reasonable to call idr_get_new() from process context and idr_remove() from
interrupt context -- but with the current locking this would lead to a
potential deadlock.

The simplest fix for this is to just convert the idr locking to use
spin_lock_irqsave().

In particular, this fixes a very complicated locking issue detected by
lockdep, involving the ib_ipoib driver's priv->lock and dev->_xmit_lock,
which get involved with the ib_sa module's query_idr.lock.

Cc: Arjan van de Ven <arjan@infradead.org>
Cc: Ingo Molnar <mingo@elte.hu>
Cc: Zach Brown <zach.brown@oracle.com>,
Signed-off-by: Roland Dreier <rolandd@cisco.com>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

14 years ago[PATCH] reiserfs: fix handling of device names with /'s in them
Jeff Mahoney [Fri, 14 Jul 2006 07:24:22 +0000]
[PATCH] reiserfs: fix handling of device names with /'s in them

On systems with block devices containing a slash (virtual dasd, cciss,
etc), reiserfs will fail to initialize /proc/fs/reiserfs/<dev> due to it
being interpreted as a subdirectory.  The generic block device code changes
the / to !  for use in the sysfs tree.  This patch uses that convention.

Tested by making dm devices use dm/<number> rather than dm-<number>

[akpm@osdl.org: name variables consistently]
Signed-off-by: Jeff Mahoney <jeffm@suse.com>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

14 years ago[PATCH] net48xx LED cleanups
Chris Boot [Fri, 14 Jul 2006 07:24:21 +0000]
[PATCH] net48xx LED cleanups

Add the DRVNAME define to remove the two separate references of the driver
name by string, and move the .driver.owner into the existing .driver
sub-structure.

Signed-off-by: Chris Boot <bootc@bootc.net>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

14 years ago[PATCH] Fix sighand->siglock usage in kernel/acct.c
OGAWA Hirofumi [Fri, 14 Jul 2006 07:24:18 +0000]
[PATCH] Fix sighand->siglock usage in kernel/acct.c

IRQs must be disabled before taking ->siglock.

Noticed by lockdep.

Signed-off-by: OGAWA Hirofumi <hirofumi@mail.parknet.co.jp>
Cc: Arjan van de Ven <arjan@infradead.org>
Cc: Ingo Molnar <mingo@elte.hu>
Cc: "Eric W. Biederman" <ebiederm@xmission.com>
Cc: Oleg Nesterov <oleg@tv-sign.ru>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

14 years ago[PATCH] improve timekeeping resume robustness
john stultz [Fri, 14 Jul 2006 07:24:17 +0000]
[PATCH] improve timekeeping resume robustness

Resolve problems seen w/ APM suspend.

Due to resume initialization ordering, its possible we could get a timer
interrupt before the timekeeping resume() function is called.  This patch
ensures we don't do any timekeeping accounting before we're fully resumed.

(akpm: fixes the machine-freezes-on-APM-resume bug)

Signed-off-by: John Stultz <johnstul@us.ibm.com>
Cc: Roman Zippel <zippel@linux-m68k.org>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

14 years ago[PATCH] scx200_gpio: use 1 cdev for N minors, not N for N
Jim Cromie [Fri, 14 Jul 2006 07:24:16 +0000]
[PATCH] scx200_gpio: use 1 cdev for N minors, not N for N

Remove the scx200_gpio's cdev-array & ksalloc, replacing it with a single
static struct cdev, which is sufficient for all the pins.

cdev_put is commented out since kernel wont link properly with it, and its
apparently not needed.

With these patches, this driver continues to work with Chris Boot's
leds_48xx driver.

Signed-off-by Jim Cromie <jim.cromie@gmail.com>

Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

14 years ago[PATCH] scx200_gpio: 1 cdev for N minors: cleanup, prep
Jim Cromie [Fri, 14 Jul 2006 07:24:16 +0000]
[PATCH] scx200_gpio: 1 cdev for N minors: cleanup, prep

this patch is mostly cleanup of scx200_gpio :
- drop #include <linux/config.h>
- s/DEVNAME/DRVNAME/    apparently a convention
- replace variable num_pins with  #define MAX_PINS
- s/dev/devid/   to clarify that its a dev_t, not a struct device dev.
- move devid = MKDEV(major,0)  into branch where its needed.

2 minor 'changes' :

- reduced MAX_PINS from 64 to 32.  Ive never tested other pins, and
  theyre all multiplexed with other functions, some of which may be in use
  on my soekris 4801, so I dont know what testing should yield.

- +EXPORT_SYMBOL(scx200_access);

  This exposes the driver's vtable, which another driver can use along
  with #include <linux/nsc_gpio.h>, to manipulate a gpio-pin.

Signed-off-by Jim Cromie <jim.cromie@gmail.com>

Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

14 years ago[PATCH] unexport open_softirq
Adrian Bunk [Fri, 14 Jul 2006 07:24:15 +0000]
[PATCH] unexport open_softirq

Christoph Hellwig:
open_softirq just enables a softirq.  The softirq array is statically
allocated so to add a new one you would have to patch the kernel.  So
there's no point to keep this export at all as any user would have to
patch the enum in include/linux/interrupt.h anyway.

Signed-off-by: Adrian Bunk <bunk@stusta.de>
Acked-by: Ingo Molnar <mingo@elte.hu>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

14 years ago[PATCH] drivers/block/cpqarray.c: remove an unused variable
Adrian Bunk [Fri, 14 Jul 2006 07:24:14 +0000]
[PATCH] drivers/block/cpqarray.c: remove an unused variable

Signed-off-by: Adrian Bunk <bunk@stusta.de>
Acked-by: Mike Miller <mike.miller@hp.com>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

14 years ago[PATCH] Add try_to_freeze() to rt-test kthreads
Luca Tettamanti [Fri, 14 Jul 2006 07:24:13 +0000]
[PATCH] Add try_to_freeze() to rt-test kthreads

When CONFIG_RT_MUTEX_TESTER is enabled kernel refuses to suspend the
machine because it's unable to freeze the rt-test-* threads.

Add try_to_freeze() after schedule() so that the threads will be freezed
correctly; I've tested the patch and it lets the notebook suspends and
resumes nicely.

Signed-off-by: Luca Tettamanti <kronos.it@gmail.com>
Cc: Ingo Molnar <mingo@redhat.com>
Acked-by: Thomas Gleixner <tglx@linutronix.de>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

14 years ago[PATCH] lockdep: annotate the BLKPG_DEL_PARTITION ioctl
Arjan van de Ven [Fri, 14 Jul 2006 07:24:12 +0000]
[PATCH] lockdep: annotate the BLKPG_DEL_PARTITION ioctl

The delete partition IOCTL takes the bd_mutex for both the disk and the
partition; these have an obvious hierarchical relationship and this patch
annotates this relationship for lockdep.

Signed-off-by: Arjan van de Ven <arjan@linux.intel.com>
Acked-by: Ingo Molnar <mingo@elte.hu>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

14 years ago[PATCH] RTC subsystem, Add ISL1208 support
Herbert Valerio Riedel [Fri, 14 Jul 2006 07:24:11 +0000]
[PATCH] RTC subsystem, Add ISL1208 support

Add support for the I2C-attached Intersil ISL1208 RTC chip.

[akpm@osdl.org: cleanups, fixlets]
Signed-off-by: Herbert Valerio Riedel <hvr@gnu.org>
Cc: Alessandro Zummo <a.zummo@towertech.it>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

14 years ago[PATCH] ramdisk blocksize Kconfig entry
Nathan Scott [Fri, 14 Jul 2006 07:24:10 +0000]
[PATCH] ramdisk blocksize Kconfig entry

Make the ramdisk blocksize configurable at kernel compilation time rather
than only at boot or module load time, like a couple of the other ramdisk
options.  I found this handy awhile back but thought little of it, until
recently asked by a few of the testing folks here to be able to do the same
thing for their automated test setups.

The Kconfig comment is largely lifted from comments in rd.c, and hopefully
this will increase the chances of making folks aware that the default value
often isn't a great choice here (for increasing values of PAGE_SIZE, even
moreso).

Signed-off-by: Nathan Scott <nathans@sgi.com>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

14 years ago[PATCH] Update ramdisk documentation
Nathan Scott [Fri, 14 Jul 2006 07:24:10 +0000]
[PATCH] Update ramdisk documentation

The default ramdisk blocksize is actually 1024, not 512 bytes.  Also fixes
up some trailing whitespace issues.

Signed-off-by: Nathan Scott <nathans@sgi.com>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

14 years ago[PATCH] nommu: export two symbols for drivers to use
Luke Yang [Fri, 14 Jul 2006 07:24:09 +0000]
[PATCH] nommu: export two symbols for drivers to use

nommu.c needs to export two more symbols for drivers to use:
remap_pfn_range and unmap_mapping_range.

Signed-off-by: Luke Yang <luke.adi@gmail.com>
Cc: David Howells <dhowells@redhat.com>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

14 years ago[PATCH] hdrinstall: remove asm/io.h from user visibility
David Woodhouse [Fri, 14 Jul 2006 07:24:08 +0000]
[PATCH] hdrinstall: remove asm/io.h from user visibility

There's no excuse for userspace abusing this kernel header -- the kernel's
headers are not intended to provide a library of helper routines for
userspace.  Using <asm/io.h> from userspace is broken on most architectures
anyway.  Just say 'no'.

Signed-off-by: David Woodhouse <dwmw2@infradead.org>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

14 years ago[PATCH] hdrinstall: remove asm/atomic.h from user visibility
David Woodhouse [Fri, 14 Jul 2006 07:24:07 +0000]
[PATCH] hdrinstall: remove asm/atomic.h from user visibility

This isn't suitable for userspace to see -- the kernel headers are not a
random library of stuff for userspace; they're only there to define the
kernel<->user ABI for system libraries and tools.  Anything which _was_
abusing asm/atomic.h from userspace was probably broken anyway -- as it often
didn't even give atomic operation.

Signed-off-by: David Woodhouse <dwmw2@infradead.org>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

14 years ago[PATCH] hdrinstall: remove asm/irq.h from user visibility
David Woodhouse [Fri, 14 Jul 2006 07:24:07 +0000]
[PATCH] hdrinstall: remove asm/irq.h from user visibility

Remove asm/irq.h from the exported headers -- there was never any good reason
for it to have been listed.

Signed-off-by: David Woodhouse <dwmw2@infradead.org>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

14 years ago[PATCH] del_timer_sync(): add cpu_relax()
Andrew Morton [Fri, 14 Jul 2006 07:24:06 +0000]
[PATCH] del_timer_sync(): add cpu_relax()

Relax the CPU in the del_timer_sync() busywait loop.

Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

14 years ago[PATCH] remove kernel/kthread.c:kthread_stop_sem()
Adrian Bunk [Fri, 14 Jul 2006 07:24:05 +0000]
[PATCH] remove kernel/kthread.c:kthread_stop_sem()

Remove the now-unneeded kthread_stop_sem().

Signed-off-by: Adrian Bunk <bunk@stusta.de>
Acked-by: Alan Stern <stern@rowland.harvard.edu>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

14 years ago[PATCH] null-terminate over-long /proc/kallsyms symbols
Andreas Gruenbacher [Fri, 14 Jul 2006 07:24:04 +0000]
[PATCH] null-terminate over-long /proc/kallsyms symbols

Got a customer bug report (https://bugzilla.novell.com/190296) about kernel
symbols longer than 127 characters which end up in a string buffer that is
not NULL terminated, leading to garbage in /proc/kallsyms.  Using strlcpy
prevents this from happening, even though such symbols still won't come out
right.

A better fix would be to not use a fixed-size buffer, but it's probably not
worth the trouble.  (Modversion'ed symbols even have a length limit of 60.)

[bunk@stusta.de: build fix]
Signed-off-by: Andreas Gruenbacher <agruen@suse.de>
Signed-off-by: Adrian Bunk <bunk@stusta.de>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

14 years ago[PATCH] uml: header formatting cleanups
Jeff Dike [Fri, 14 Jul 2006 07:24:03 +0000]
[PATCH] uml: header formatting cleanups

Clean up whitespace and return syntax in os.h.

Signed-off-by: Jeff Dike <jdike@addtoit.com>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

14 years ago[PATCH] uml: tidy biarch gcc support
Jeff Dike [Fri, 14 Jul 2006 07:24:03 +0000]
[PATCH] uml: tidy biarch gcc support

On top of the previous biarch changes for UML, this makes the preprocessor
changes a bit cleaner.  Specify the 64-bit build in CPPFLAGS on the x86_64
SUBARCH, rather than #undef'ing i386.  Compile-tested with i386 and x86_64
SUBARCHs.

Signed-off-by: Nishanth Aravamudan <nacc@us.ibm.com>
Signed-off-by: Jeff Dike <jdike@addtoit.com>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

14 years ago[PATCH] uml: tidy longjmp macro
Jeff Dike [Fri, 14 Jul 2006 07:24:02 +0000]
[PATCH] uml: tidy longjmp macro

The UML_SETJMP macro was requiring its users to pass in a argument which it
could supply itself, since it wasn't used outside that invocation of the
macro.

Signed-off-by: Jeff Dike <jdike@addtoit.com>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

14 years ago[PATCH] i386: remove redundant might_sleep() in user accessors.
Vadim Lobanov [Fri, 14 Jul 2006 07:24:01 +0000]
[PATCH] i386: remove redundant might_sleep() in user accessors.

On i386, the user space accessor functions copy_from/to_user() both invoke
might_sleep(), do a quick sanity check, and then pass the work on to their
__copy_from/to_user() counterparts, which again invoke might_sleep().
Given that no actual work happens between these two calls, it is best to
eliminate one of the redundant might_sleep()s.

Signed-off-by: Vadim Lobanov <vlobanov@speakeasy.net>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

14 years ago[PATCH] i386 kexec: allow the kexec on panic support to compile on voyager
Eric W. Biederman [Fri, 14 Jul 2006 07:24:00 +0000]
[PATCH] i386 kexec: allow the kexec on panic support to compile on voyager

This patch removes the foolish assumption that SMP implied local apics.
That assumption is not-true on the Voyager subarch.  This makes that
dependency explicit, and allows the code to build.

What gets disabled is just an optimization to get better crash dumps so the
support should work if there is a kernel that will initialization on the
voyager subarch under those harsh conditions.

Hopefully we can figure out how to initialize apics in init_IRQ and remove
the need to disable io_apics and this dependency.

Signed-off-by: Eric W. Biederman <ebiederm@xmission.com>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

14 years ago[PATCH] Fix a memory leak in the i386 setup code
Catalin Marinas [Fri, 14 Jul 2006 07:23:59 +0000]
[PATCH] Fix a memory leak in the i386 setup code

Signed-off-by: Catalin Marinas <catalin.marinas@gmail.com>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

14 years ago[PATCH] i386: handle_BUG(): don't print garbage if debug info unavailable
Chuck Ebbert [Fri, 14 Jul 2006 07:23:58 +0000]
[PATCH] i386: handle_BUG(): don't print garbage if debug info unavailable

handle_BUG() tries to print file and line number even when they're not
available (CONFIG_DEBUG_BUGVERBOSE is not set.) Change this to print a
message stating info is unavailable instead of printing a misleading
message.

Signed-off-by: Chuck Ebbert <76306.1226@compuserve.com>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

14 years ago[PATCH] ia64: race flushing icache in COW path
Anil Keshavamurthy [Fri, 14 Jul 2006 07:23:57 +0000]
[PATCH] ia64: race flushing icache in COW path

There is a race condition that showed up in a threaded JIT environment.
The situation is that a process with a JIT code page forks, so the page is
marked read-only, then some threads are created in the child.  One of the
threads attempts to add a new code block to the JIT page, so a
copy-on-write fault is taken, and the kernel allocates a new page, copies
the data, installs the new pte, and then calls lazy_mmu_prot_update() to
flush caches to make sure that the icache and dcache are in sync.
Unfortunately, the other thread runs right after the new pte is installed,
but before the caches have been flushed.  It tries to execute some old JIT
code that was already in this page, but it sees some garbage in the i-cache
from the previous users of the new physical page.

Fix: we must make the caches consistent before installing the pte.  This is
an ia64 only fix because lazy_mmu_prot_update() is a no-op on all other
architectures.

Signed-off-by: Anil Keshavamurthy <anil.s.keshavamurthy@intel.com>
Signed-off-by: Tony Luck <tony.luck@intel.com>
Cc: Hugh Dickins <hugh@veritas.com>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>