14 years agoMerge branch 'master'
Steven Whitehouse [Mon, 17 Jul 2006 13:25:26 +0000]
Merge branch 'master'

14 years agoLinux 2.6.18-rc2
Linus Torvalds [Sat, 15 Jul 2006 21:53:08 +0000]
Linux 2.6.18-rc2

Finishing up for the kernel summit. Ottawa, here I come.

Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

14 years agoMerge branch 'for-linus' of git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/shaggy...
Linus Torvalds [Sat, 15 Jul 2006 21:43:30 +0000]
Merge branch 'for-linus' of git://git./linux/kernel/git/shaggy/jfs-2.6

* 'for-linus' of git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/shaggy/jfs-2.6:
  JFS: commit_mutex cleanups

14 years ago[PATCH] UML - fix utsname build breakage
Jeff Dike [Fri, 14 Jul 2006 19:52:23 +0000]
[PATCH] UML - fix utsname build breakage

Some -mm-only material leaked into a patch destined for mainline, and I didn't
notice.

This was the replacement of system_utsname with utsname() that's required by
the uts namespace patch.  This patch reverts those changes (which are correct
in -mm) so that mainline UML builds again.

Signed-off-by: Jeff Dike <jdike@addtoit.com>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

14 years agoDon't allow chmod() on the /proc/<pid>/ files
Linus Torvalds [Sat, 15 Jul 2006 19:26:45 +0000]
Don't allow chmod() on the /proc/<pid>/ files

This just turns off chmod() on the /proc/<pid>/ files, since there is no
good reason to allow it, and had we disallowed it originally, the nasty
/proc race exploit wouldn't have been possible.

The other patches already fixed the problem chmod() could cause, so this
is really just some final mop-up..

This particular version is based off a patch by Eugene and Marcel which
had much better naming than my original equivalent one.

Signed-off-by: Eugene Teo <eteo@redhat.com>
Signed-off-by: Marcel Holtmann <marcel@holtmann.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

14 years agoMark /proc MS_NOSUID and MS_NOEXEC
Linus Torvalds [Sat, 15 Jul 2006 19:20:05 +0000]
Mark /proc MS_NOSUID and MS_NOEXEC

Not that we really need this any more, but at the same time there's no
reason not to do this.

Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

14 years ago[PATCH] sch_htb compile fix.
Dave Jones [Sat, 15 Jul 2006 07:41:12 +0000]
[PATCH] sch_htb compile fix.

net/sched/sch_htb.c: In function 'htb_change_class':
net/sched/sch_htb.c:1605: error: expected ';' before 'do_gettimeofday'

Signed-off-by: Dave Jones <davej@redhat.com>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

14 years agoMerge master.kernel.org:/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/herbert/crypto-2.6
Linus Torvalds [Sat, 15 Jul 2006 04:57:45 +0000]
Merge /pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/herbert/crypto-2.6

* master.kernel.org:/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/herbert/crypto-2.6:
  [CRYPTO] padlock: Fix alignment after aes_ctx rearrange

14 years agoMerge master.kernel.org:/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/davem/sparc-2.6
Linus Torvalds [Sat, 15 Jul 2006 04:57:23 +0000]
Merge /pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/davem/sparc-2.6

* master.kernel.org:/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/davem/sparc-2.6:
  [SPARC64] Fix PSYCHO PCI controler init.
  [SPARC64] psycho: Fix pbm->name handling in pbm_register_toplevel_resources()
  [SERIAL] sunsab: Fix significant typo in sab_probe()
  [SERIAL] sunsu: Report keyboard and mouse ports in kernel log.
  [SPARC64]: Make sure IRQs are disabled properly during early boot.

14 years agoMerge master.kernel.org:/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/davem/net-2.6
Linus Torvalds [Sat, 15 Jul 2006 04:57:06 +0000]
Merge /pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/davem/net-2.6

* master.kernel.org:/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/davem/net-2.6:
  [VLAN]: __vlan_hwaccel_rx can use the faster ether_compare_addr
  [PKT_SCHED] HTB: initialize upper bound properly
  [IPV4]: Clear skb cb on IP input
  [NET]: Update frag_list in pskb_trim

14 years ago[PATCH] remove set_wmb - arch removal
Steven Rostedt [Fri, 14 Jul 2006 20:05:03 +0000]
[PATCH] remove set_wmb - arch removal

set_wmb should not be used in the kernel because it just confuses the
code more and has no benefit.  Since it is not currently used in the
kernel this patch removes it so that new code does not include it.

All archs define set_wmb(var, value) to do { var = value; wmb(); }
while(0) except ia64 and sparc which use a mb() instead.  But this is
still moot since it is not used anyway.

Hasn't been tested on any archs but x86 and x86_64 (and only compiled
tested)

Signed-off-by: Steven Rostedt <rostedt@goodmis.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

14 years ago[PATCH] remove set_wmb - doc update
Steven Rostedt [Fri, 14 Jul 2006 20:05:01 +0000]
[PATCH] remove set_wmb - doc update

This patch removes the reference to set_wmb from memory-barriers.txt
since it shouldn't be used.

Signed-off-by: Steven Rostedt <rostedt@goodmis.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

14 years ago[PATCH] Remove down_write() from taskstats code invoked on the exit() path
Shailabh Nagar [Fri, 14 Jul 2006 07:24:47 +0000]
[PATCH] Remove down_write() from taskstats code invoked on the exit() path

In send_cpu_listeners(), which is called on the exit path, a down_write()
was protecting operations like skb_clone() and genlmsg_unicast() that do
GFP_KERNEL allocations.  If the oom-killer decides to kill tasks to satisfy
the allocations,the exit of those tasks could block on the same semphore.

The down_write() was only needed to allow removal of invalid listeners from
the listener list.  The patch converts the down_write to a down_read and
defers the removal to a separate critical region.  This ensures that even
if the oom-killer is called, no other task's exit is blocked as it can
still acquire another down_read.

Thanks to Andrew Morton & Herbert Xu for pointing out the oom related
pitfalls, and to Chandra Seetharaman for suggesting this fix instead of
using something more complex like RCU.

Signed-off-by: Chandra Seetharaman <sekharan@us.ibm.com>
Signed-off-by: Shailabh Nagar <nagar@watson.ibm.com>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

14 years ago[PATCH] per-task delay accounting taskstats interface: control exit data through...
Shailabh Nagar [Fri, 14 Jul 2006 07:24:47 +0000]
[PATCH] per-task delay accounting taskstats interface: control exit data through cpumasks

On systems with a large number of cpus, with even a modest rate of tasks
exiting per cpu, the volume of taskstats data sent on thread exit can
overflow a userspace listener's buffers.

One approach to avoiding overflow is to allow listeners to get data for a
limited and specific set of cpus.  By scaling the number of listeners
and/or the cpus they monitor, userspace can handle the statistical data
overload more gracefully.

In this patch, each listener registers to listen to a specific set of cpus
by specifying a cpumask.  The interest is recorded per-cpu.  When a task
exits on a cpu, its taskstats data is unicast to each listener interested
in that cpu.

Thanks to Andrew Morton for pointing out the various scalability and
general concerns of previous attempts and for suggesting this design.

[akpm@osdl.org: build fix]
Signed-off-by: Shailabh Nagar <nagar@watson.ibm.com>
Signed-off-by: Balbir Singh <balbir@in.ibm.com>
Signed-off-by: Chandra Seetharaman <sekharan@us.ibm.com>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

14 years ago[PATCH] per-task delay accounting: avoid send without listeners
Shailabh Nagar [Fri, 14 Jul 2006 07:24:46 +0000]
[PATCH] per-task delay accounting: avoid send without listeners

Don't send taskstats (per-pid or per-tgid) on thread exit when no one is
listening for such data.

Currently the taskstats interface allocates a structure, fills it in and
calls netlink to send out per-pid and per-tgid stats regardless of whether
a userspace listener for the data exists (netlink layer would check for
that and avoid the multicast).

As a result of this patch, the check for the no-listener case is performed
early, avoiding the redundant allocation and filling up of the taskstats
structures.

Signed-off-by: Balbir Singh <balbir@in.ibm.com>
Signed-off-by: Shailabh Nagar <nagar@watson.ibm.com>
Cc: Jay Lan <jlan@engr.sgi.com>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

14 years ago[PATCH] per task delay accounting taskstats interface: documentation fix
Shailabh Nagar [Fri, 14 Jul 2006 07:24:45 +0000]
[PATCH] per task delay accounting taskstats interface: documentation fix

Change documentation and example program to reflect the flow control issues
being addressed by the cpumask changes.

Signed-off-by: Shailabh Nagar <nagar@watson.ibm.com>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

14 years ago[PATCH] delay accounting taskstats interface send tgid once
Shailabh Nagar [Fri, 14 Jul 2006 07:24:44 +0000]
[PATCH] delay accounting taskstats interface send tgid once

Send per-tgid data only once during exit of a thread group instead of once
with each member thread exit.

Currently, when a thread exits, besides its per-tid data, the per-tgid data
of its thread group is also sent out, if its thread group is non-empty.
The per-tgid data sent consists of the sum of per-tid stats for all
*remaining* threads of the thread group.

This patch modifies this sending in two ways:

- the per-tgid data is sent only when the last thread of a thread group
  exits.  This cuts down heavily on the overhead of sending/receiving
  per-tgid data, especially when other exploiters of the taskstats
  interface aren't interested in per-tgid stats

- the semantics of the per-tgid data sent are changed.  Instead of being
  the sum of per-tid data for remaining threads, the value now sent is the
  true total accumalated statistics for all threads that are/were part of
  the thread group.

The patch also addresses a minor issue where failure of one accounting
subsystem to fill in the taskstats structure was causing the send of
taskstats to not be sent at all.

The patch has been tested for stability and run cerberus for over 4 hours
on an SMP.

[akpm@osdl.org: bugfixes]
Signed-off-by: Shailabh Nagar <nagar@watson.ibm.com>
Signed-off-by: Balbir Singh <balbir@in.ibm.com>
Cc: Jay Lan <jlan@engr.sgi.com>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

14 years ago[PATCH] per-task-delay-accounting: /proc export of aggregated block I/O delays
Shailabh Nagar [Fri, 14 Jul 2006 07:24:43 +0000]
[PATCH] per-task-delay-accounting: /proc export of aggregated block I/O delays

Export I/O delays seen by a task through /proc/<tgid>/stats for use in top
etc.

Note that delays for I/O done for swapping in pages (swapin I/O) is clubbed
together with all other I/O here (this is not the case in the netlink
interface where the swapin I/O is kept distinct)

[akpm@osdl.org: printk warning fix]
Signed-off-by: Shailabh Nagar <nagar@watson.ibm.com>
Signed-off-by: Balbir Singh <balbir@in.ibm.com>
Cc: Jes Sorensen <jes@sgi.com>
Cc: Peter Chubb <peterc@gelato.unsw.edu.au>
Cc: Erich Focht <efocht@ess.nec.de>
Cc: Levent Serinol <lserinol@gmail.com>
Cc: Jay Lan <jlan@engr.sgi.com>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

14 years ago[PATCH] per-task-delay-accounting: documentation
Shailabh Nagar [Fri, 14 Jul 2006 07:24:42 +0000]
[PATCH] per-task-delay-accounting: documentation

Some documentation for delay accounting.

Signed-off-by: Shailabh Nagar <nagar@watson.ibm.com>
Signed-off-by: Balbir Singh <balbir@in.ibm.com>
Cc: Jes Sorensen <jes@sgi.com>
Cc: Peter Chubb <peterc@gelato.unsw.edu.au>
Cc: Erich Focht <efocht@ess.nec.de>
Cc: Levent Serinol <lserinol@gmail.com>
Cc: Jay Lan <jlan@engr.sgi.com>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

14 years ago[PATCH] per-task-delay-accounting: delay accounting usage of taskstats interface
Shailabh Nagar [Fri, 14 Jul 2006 07:24:41 +0000]
[PATCH] per-task-delay-accounting: delay accounting usage of taskstats interface

Usage of taskstats interface by delay accounting.

Signed-off-by: Shailabh Nagar <nagar@us.ibm.com>
Signed-off-by: Balbir Singh <balbir@in.ibm.com>
Cc: Jes Sorensen <jes@sgi.com>
Cc: Peter Chubb <peterc@gelato.unsw.edu.au>
Cc: Erich Focht <efocht@ess.nec.de>
Cc: Levent Serinol <lserinol@gmail.com>
Cc: Jay Lan <jlan@engr.sgi.com>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

14 years ago[PATCH] per-task-delay-accounting: taskstats interface
Shailabh Nagar [Fri, 14 Jul 2006 07:24:40 +0000]
[PATCH] per-task-delay-accounting: taskstats interface

Create a "taskstats" interface based on generic netlink (NETLINK_GENERIC
family), for getting statistics of tasks and thread groups during their
lifetime and when they exit.  The interface is intended for use by multiple
accounting packages though it is being created in the context of delay
accounting.

This patch creates the interface without populating the fields of the data
that is sent to the user in response to a command or upon the exit of a task.
Each accounting package interested in using taskstats has to provide an
additional patch to add its stats to the common structure.

[akpm@osdl.org: cleanups, Kconfig fix]
Signed-off-by: Shailabh Nagar <nagar@us.ibm.com>
Signed-off-by: Balbir Singh <balbir@in.ibm.com>
Cc: Jes Sorensen <jes@sgi.com>
Cc: Peter Chubb <peterc@gelato.unsw.edu.au>
Cc: Erich Focht <efocht@ess.nec.de>
Cc: Levent Serinol <lserinol@gmail.com>
Cc: Jay Lan <jlan@engr.sgi.com>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

14 years ago[PATCH] per-task-delay-accounting: utilities for genetlink usage
Balbir Singh [Fri, 14 Jul 2006 07:24:39 +0000]
[PATCH] per-task-delay-accounting: utilities for genetlink usage

Two utilities for simplifying usage of NETLINK_GENERIC interface.

Signed-off-by: Balbir Singh <balbir@in.ibm.com>
Signed-off-by: Shailabh Nagar <nagar@watson.ibm.com>
Cc: Jes Sorensen <jes@sgi.com>
Cc: Peter Chubb <peterc@gelato.unsw.edu.au>
Cc: Erich Focht <efocht@ess.nec.de>
Cc: Levent Serinol <lserinol@gmail.com>
Cc: Jay Lan <jlan@engr.sgi.com>
Cc: "David S. Miller" <davem@davemloft.net>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

14 years ago[PATCH] per-task-delay-accounting: cpu delay collection via schedstats
Chandra Seetharaman [Fri, 14 Jul 2006 07:24:38 +0000]
[PATCH] per-task-delay-accounting: cpu delay collection via schedstats

Make the task-related schedstats functions callable by delay accounting even
if schedstats collection isn't turned on.  This removes the dependency of
delay accounting on schedstats.

Signed-off-by: Chandra Seetharaman <sekharan@us.ibm.com>
Signed-off-by: Shailabh Nagar <nagar@watson.ibm.com>
Signed-off-by: Balbir Singh <balbir@in.ibm.com>
Cc: Jes Sorensen <jes@sgi.com>
Cc: Peter Chubb <peterc@gelato.unsw.edu.au>
Cc: Erich Focht <efocht@ess.nec.de>
Cc: Levent Serinol <lserinol@gmail.com>
Cc: Jay Lan <jlan@engr.sgi.com>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

14 years ago[PATCH] per-task-delay-accounting: sync block I/O and swapin delay collection
Shailabh Nagar [Fri, 14 Jul 2006 07:24:37 +0000]
[PATCH] per-task-delay-accounting: sync block I/O and swapin delay collection

Unlike earlier iterations of the delay accounting patches, now delays are only
collected for the actual I/O waits rather than try and cover the delays seen
in I/O submission paths.

Account separately for block I/O delays incurred as a result of swapin page
faults whose frequency can be affected by the task/process' rss limit.  Hence
swapin delays can act as feedback for rss limit changes independent of I/O
priority changes.

Signed-off-by: Shailabh Nagar <nagar@watson.ibm.com>
Signed-off-by: Balbir Singh <balbir@in.ibm.com>
Cc: Jes Sorensen <jes@sgi.com>
Cc: Peter Chubb <peterc@gelato.unsw.edu.au>
Cc: Erich Focht <efocht@ess.nec.de>
Cc: Levent Serinol <lserinol@gmail.com>
Cc: Jay Lan <jlan@engr.sgi.com>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

14 years ago[PATCH] per-task-delay-accounting: setup
Shailabh Nagar [Fri, 14 Jul 2006 07:24:36 +0000]
[PATCH] per-task-delay-accounting: setup

Initialization code related to collection of per-task "delay" statistics which
measure how long it had to wait for cpu, sync block io, swapping etc.  The
collection of statistics and the interface are in other patches.  This patch
sets up the data structures and allows the statistics collection to be
disabled through a kernel boot parameter.

Signed-off-by: Shailabh Nagar <nagar@watson.ibm.com>
Signed-off-by: Balbir Singh <balbir@in.ibm.com>
Cc: Jes Sorensen <jes@sgi.com>
Cc: Peter Chubb <peterc@gelato.unsw.edu.au>
Cc: Erich Focht <efocht@ess.nec.de>
Cc: Levent Serinol <lserinol@gmail.com>
Cc: Jay Lan <jlan@engr.sgi.com>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

14 years ago[PATCH] list_is_last utility
Shailabh Nagar [Fri, 14 Jul 2006 07:24:35 +0000]
[PATCH] list_is_last utility

Add another list utility function to check for last element in a list.

Signed-off-by: Shailabh Nagar <nagar@watson.ibm.com>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

14 years ago[PATCH] mbxfb: Add framebuffer driver for the Intel 2700G
Mike Rapoport [Fri, 14 Jul 2006 07:24:34 +0000]
[PATCH] mbxfb: Add framebuffer driver for the Intel 2700G

Add frame buffer driver for the 2700G LCD controller present on CompuLab
CM-X270 computer module.

[adaplas]
- Add more informative help text to Kconfig
- Make DEBUG a Kconfig option as FB_MBX_DEBUG
- Remove #include mbxdebug.c, this is frowned upon
- Remove redundant casts
- Arrange #include's alphabetically
- Trivial whitespace

Signed-off-by: Mike Rapoport <mike@compulab.co.il>
Signed-off-by: Antonino Daplas <adaplas@pol.net>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

14 years ago[PATCH] Fix security check for joint context= and fscontext= mount options
Eric Paris [Fri, 14 Jul 2006 07:24:33 +0000]
[PATCH] Fix security check for joint context= and fscontext= mount options

After some discussion on the actual meaning of the filesystem class
security check in try context mount it was determined that the checks for
the context= mount options were not correct if fscontext mount option had
already been used.

When labeling the superblock we should be checking relabel_from and
relabel_to.  But if the superblock has already been labeled (with
fscontext) then context= is actually labeling the inodes, and so we should
be checking relabel_from and associate.  This patch fixes which checks are
called depending on the mount options.

Signed-off-by: Eric Paris <eparis@redhat.com>
Acked-by: Stephen Smalley <sds@tycho.nsa.gov>
Acked-by: James Morris <jmorris@namei.org>
Cc: Chris Wright <chrisw@sous-sol.org>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

14 years ago[PATCH] let the the lockdep options depend on DEBUG_KERNEL
Adrian Bunk [Fri, 14 Jul 2006 07:24:32 +0000]
[PATCH] let the the lockdep options depend on DEBUG_KERNEL

The lockdep options should depend on DEBUG_KERNEL since:
- they are kernel debugging options and
- they do otherwise break the DEBUG_KERNEL menu structure

Signed-off-by: Adrian Bunk <bunk@stusta.de>
Acked-by: Ingo Molnar <mingo@elte.hu>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

14 years ago[PATCH] tpm_tis: use resource_size_t
Kylene Jo Hall [Fri, 14 Jul 2006 07:24:31 +0000]
[PATCH] tpm_tis: use resource_size_t

Fix the start and len variables that should be using the new
resource_size_t.

Signed_off_by: Kylene Hall <kjhall@us.ibm.com>

Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

14 years ago[PATCH] tpm: Add force device probe option
Kylene Jo Hall [Fri, 14 Jul 2006 07:24:31 +0000]
[PATCH] tpm: Add force device probe option

Some machine manufacturers are not sticking to the TCG specifications and
including an ACPI DSDT entry for the TPM which allows PNP discovery of the
device.

Signed-off-by: Kylene Hall <kjhall@us.ibm.com>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

14 years ago[PATCH] tpm: interrupt clear fix
Kylene Jo Hall [Fri, 14 Jul 2006 07:24:30 +0000]
[PATCH] tpm: interrupt clear fix

Under stress testing I found that the interrupt is not always cleared.

Signed-off-by: Kylene Hall <kjhall@us.ibm.com>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

14 years ago[PATCH] symlink nesting level change
Al Viro [Fri, 14 Jul 2006 07:24:29 +0000]
[PATCH] symlink nesting level change

It's way past time to bump it to 8.  Everyone had been warned - for
months now.

RH kernels have had this for more than a year.

Signed-off-by: Al Viro <viro@zeniv.linux.org.uk>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

14 years ago[PATCH] actual mailing list in MAINTAINERS
Randy Dunlap [Fri, 14 Jul 2006 07:24:29 +0000]
[PATCH] actual mailing list in MAINTAINERS

Add actual mailing list email addresses for the 4 that were only listing a
web page.

Signed-off-by: Randy Dunlap <rdunlap@xenotime.net>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

14 years ago[PATCH] TPM: fix failure path leak
Randy Dunlap [Fri, 14 Jul 2006 07:24:28 +0000]
[PATCH] TPM: fix failure path leak

kfree(devname) on the misc_register() failure path.  Otherwise it is lost
forever.

Signed-off-by: Randy Dunlap <rdunlap@xenotime.net>
Cc: Kylene Jo Hall <kjhall@us.ibm.com>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

14 years ago[PATCH] lockdep: core, fix rq-lock handling on __ARCH_WANT_UNLOCKED_CTXSW
Ingo Molnar [Fri, 14 Jul 2006 07:24:27 +0000]
[PATCH] lockdep: core, fix rq-lock handling on __ARCH_WANT_UNLOCKED_CTXSW

On platforms that have __ARCH_WANT_UNLOCKED_CTXSW set and want to implement
lock validator support there's a bug in rq->lock handling: in this case we
dont 'carry over' the runqueue lock into another task - but still we did a
spinlock_release() of it.  Fix this by making the spinlock_release() in
context_switch() dependent on !__ARCH_WANT_UNLOCKED_CTXSW.

(Reported by Ralf Baechle on MIPS, which has __ARCH_WANT_UNLOCKED_CTXSW.
This fixes a lockdep-internal BUG message on such platforms.)

Signed-off-by: Ingo Molnar <mingo@elte.hu>
Cc: Ralf Baechle <ralf@linux-mips.org>
Cc: Arjan van de Ven <arjan@linux.intel.com>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

14 years ago[PATCH] gpio: rename exported vtables to better match purpose
Jim Cromie [Fri, 14 Jul 2006 07:24:26 +0000]
[PATCH] gpio: rename exported vtables to better match purpose

- rename EXPORTed gpio vtables from {scx200,pc8736x}_access to _gpio_ops new
  name is much closer to the vtable-name struct nsc_gpio_ops, should be
  clearer.  Also rename the _fops vtable var to _fileops to better
  disambiguate it from the gpio vtable.

Signed-off-by: Jim Cromie <jim.cromie@gmail.com>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

14 years ago[PATCH] gpio: cosmetics: remove needless newlines
Jim Cromie [Fri, 14 Jul 2006 07:24:26 +0000]
[PATCH] gpio: cosmetics: remove needless newlines

- pure cosmetics: lose needless newlines.

- rename EXPORTed gpio vtables from {scx200,pc8736x}_access to _gpio_ops new
  name is much closer to the vtable-name struct nsc_gpio_ops, should be
  clearer.  Also rename the _fops vtable var to _fileops to better
  disambiguate it from the gpio vtable.

Signed-off-by: Jim Cromie <jim.cromie@gmail.com>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

14 years ago[PATCH] gpio: drop vtable members .gpio_set_high .gpio_set_low gpio_set is enough
Jim Cromie [Fri, 14 Jul 2006 07:24:25 +0000]
[PATCH] gpio: drop vtable members .gpio_set_high .gpio_set_low gpio_set is enough

drops gpio_set_high, gpio_set_low from the nsc_gpio_ops vtable.  While we
can't drop them from scx200_gpio (or can we?), we dont need them for new users
of the exported vtable; gpio_set(1), gpio_set(0) work fine.

Signed-off-by: Jim Cromie <jim.cromie@gmail.com>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

14 years ago[PATCH] Remove pci_dac_set_dma_mask() from Documentation/DMA-mapping.txt
Rolf Eike Beer [Fri, 14 Jul 2006 07:24:24 +0000]
[PATCH] Remove pci_dac_set_dma_mask() from Documentation/DMA-mapping.txt

pci_dac_set_dma_mask() gives only a single match in the whole kernel tree
and that's in this doc file.  The best candidate for replacement is
pci_dac_dma_supported().

Signed-off-by: Rolf Eike Beer <eike-kernel@sf-tec.de>
Cc: Greg KH <greg@kroah.com>
Acked-by: "David S. Miller" <davem@davemloft.net>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

14 years ago[PATCH] add function documentation for register_chrdev()
Rolf Eike Beer [Fri, 14 Jul 2006 07:24:23 +0000]
[PATCH] add function documentation for register_chrdev()

Documentation for register_chrdev() was missing completely.

[akpm@osdl.org: kerneldocification]
Signed-off-by: Rolf Eike Beer <eike-kernel@sf-tec.de>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

14 years ago[PATCH] Convert idr's internal locking to _irqsave variant
Roland Dreier [Fri, 14 Jul 2006 07:24:23 +0000]
[PATCH] Convert idr's internal locking to _irqsave variant

Currently, the code in lib/idr.c uses a bare spin_lock(&idp->lock) to do
internal locking.  This is a nasty trap for code that might call idr
functions from different contexts; for example, it seems perfectly
reasonable to call idr_get_new() from process context and idr_remove() from
interrupt context -- but with the current locking this would lead to a
potential deadlock.

The simplest fix for this is to just convert the idr locking to use
spin_lock_irqsave().

In particular, this fixes a very complicated locking issue detected by
lockdep, involving the ib_ipoib driver's priv->lock and dev->_xmit_lock,
which get involved with the ib_sa module's query_idr.lock.

Cc: Arjan van de Ven <arjan@infradead.org>
Cc: Ingo Molnar <mingo@elte.hu>
Cc: Zach Brown <zach.brown@oracle.com>,
Signed-off-by: Roland Dreier <rolandd@cisco.com>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

14 years ago[PATCH] reiserfs: fix handling of device names with /'s in them
Jeff Mahoney [Fri, 14 Jul 2006 07:24:22 +0000]
[PATCH] reiserfs: fix handling of device names with /'s in them

On systems with block devices containing a slash (virtual dasd, cciss,
etc), reiserfs will fail to initialize /proc/fs/reiserfs/<dev> due to it
being interpreted as a subdirectory.  The generic block device code changes
the / to !  for use in the sysfs tree.  This patch uses that convention.

Tested by making dm devices use dm/<number> rather than dm-<number>

[akpm@osdl.org: name variables consistently]
Signed-off-by: Jeff Mahoney <jeffm@suse.com>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

14 years ago[PATCH] net48xx LED cleanups
Chris Boot [Fri, 14 Jul 2006 07:24:21 +0000]
[PATCH] net48xx LED cleanups

Add the DRVNAME define to remove the two separate references of the driver
name by string, and move the .driver.owner into the existing .driver
sub-structure.

Signed-off-by: Chris Boot <bootc@bootc.net>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

14 years ago[PATCH] Fix sighand->siglock usage in kernel/acct.c
OGAWA Hirofumi [Fri, 14 Jul 2006 07:24:18 +0000]
[PATCH] Fix sighand->siglock usage in kernel/acct.c

IRQs must be disabled before taking ->siglock.

Noticed by lockdep.

Signed-off-by: OGAWA Hirofumi <hirofumi@mail.parknet.co.jp>
Cc: Arjan van de Ven <arjan@infradead.org>
Cc: Ingo Molnar <mingo@elte.hu>
Cc: "Eric W. Biederman" <ebiederm@xmission.com>
Cc: Oleg Nesterov <oleg@tv-sign.ru>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

14 years ago[PATCH] improve timekeeping resume robustness
john stultz [Fri, 14 Jul 2006 07:24:17 +0000]
[PATCH] improve timekeeping resume robustness

Resolve problems seen w/ APM suspend.

Due to resume initialization ordering, its possible we could get a timer
interrupt before the timekeeping resume() function is called.  This patch
ensures we don't do any timekeeping accounting before we're fully resumed.

(akpm: fixes the machine-freezes-on-APM-resume bug)

Signed-off-by: John Stultz <johnstul@us.ibm.com>
Cc: Roman Zippel <zippel@linux-m68k.org>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

14 years ago[PATCH] scx200_gpio: use 1 cdev for N minors, not N for N
Jim Cromie [Fri, 14 Jul 2006 07:24:16 +0000]
[PATCH] scx200_gpio: use 1 cdev for N minors, not N for N

Remove the scx200_gpio's cdev-array & ksalloc, replacing it with a single
static struct cdev, which is sufficient for all the pins.

cdev_put is commented out since kernel wont link properly with it, and its
apparently not needed.

With these patches, this driver continues to work with Chris Boot's
leds_48xx driver.

Signed-off-by Jim Cromie <jim.cromie@gmail.com>

Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

14 years ago[PATCH] scx200_gpio: 1 cdev for N minors: cleanup, prep
Jim Cromie [Fri, 14 Jul 2006 07:24:16 +0000]
[PATCH] scx200_gpio: 1 cdev for N minors: cleanup, prep

this patch is mostly cleanup of scx200_gpio :
- drop #include <linux/config.h>
- s/DEVNAME/DRVNAME/    apparently a convention
- replace variable num_pins with  #define MAX_PINS
- s/dev/devid/   to clarify that its a dev_t, not a struct device dev.
- move devid = MKDEV(major,0)  into branch where its needed.

2 minor 'changes' :

- reduced MAX_PINS from 64 to 32.  Ive never tested other pins, and
  theyre all multiplexed with other functions, some of which may be in use
  on my soekris 4801, so I dont know what testing should yield.

- +EXPORT_SYMBOL(scx200_access);

  This exposes the driver's vtable, which another driver can use along
  with #include <linux/nsc_gpio.h>, to manipulate a gpio-pin.

Signed-off-by Jim Cromie <jim.cromie@gmail.com>

Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

14 years ago[PATCH] unexport open_softirq
Adrian Bunk [Fri, 14 Jul 2006 07:24:15 +0000]
[PATCH] unexport open_softirq

Christoph Hellwig:
open_softirq just enables a softirq.  The softirq array is statically
allocated so to add a new one you would have to patch the kernel.  So
there's no point to keep this export at all as any user would have to
patch the enum in include/linux/interrupt.h anyway.

Signed-off-by: Adrian Bunk <bunk@stusta.de>
Acked-by: Ingo Molnar <mingo@elte.hu>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

14 years ago[PATCH] drivers/block/cpqarray.c: remove an unused variable
Adrian Bunk [Fri, 14 Jul 2006 07:24:14 +0000]
[PATCH] drivers/block/cpqarray.c: remove an unused variable

Signed-off-by: Adrian Bunk <bunk@stusta.de>
Acked-by: Mike Miller <mike.miller@hp.com>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

14 years ago[PATCH] Add try_to_freeze() to rt-test kthreads
Luca Tettamanti [Fri, 14 Jul 2006 07:24:13 +0000]
[PATCH] Add try_to_freeze() to rt-test kthreads

When CONFIG_RT_MUTEX_TESTER is enabled kernel refuses to suspend the
machine because it's unable to freeze the rt-test-* threads.

Add try_to_freeze() after schedule() so that the threads will be freezed
correctly; I've tested the patch and it lets the notebook suspends and
resumes nicely.

Signed-off-by: Luca Tettamanti <kronos.it@gmail.com>
Cc: Ingo Molnar <mingo@redhat.com>
Acked-by: Thomas Gleixner <tglx@linutronix.de>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

14 years ago[PATCH] lockdep: annotate the BLKPG_DEL_PARTITION ioctl
Arjan van de Ven [Fri, 14 Jul 2006 07:24:12 +0000]
[PATCH] lockdep: annotate the BLKPG_DEL_PARTITION ioctl

The delete partition IOCTL takes the bd_mutex for both the disk and the
partition; these have an obvious hierarchical relationship and this patch
annotates this relationship for lockdep.

Signed-off-by: Arjan van de Ven <arjan@linux.intel.com>
Acked-by: Ingo Molnar <mingo@elte.hu>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

14 years ago[PATCH] RTC subsystem, Add ISL1208 support
Herbert Valerio Riedel [Fri, 14 Jul 2006 07:24:11 +0000]
[PATCH] RTC subsystem, Add ISL1208 support

Add support for the I2C-attached Intersil ISL1208 RTC chip.

[akpm@osdl.org: cleanups, fixlets]
Signed-off-by: Herbert Valerio Riedel <hvr@gnu.org>
Cc: Alessandro Zummo <a.zummo@towertech.it>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

14 years ago[PATCH] ramdisk blocksize Kconfig entry
Nathan Scott [Fri, 14 Jul 2006 07:24:10 +0000]
[PATCH] ramdisk blocksize Kconfig entry

Make the ramdisk blocksize configurable at kernel compilation time rather
than only at boot or module load time, like a couple of the other ramdisk
options.  I found this handy awhile back but thought little of it, until
recently asked by a few of the testing folks here to be able to do the same
thing for their automated test setups.

The Kconfig comment is largely lifted from comments in rd.c, and hopefully
this will increase the chances of making folks aware that the default value
often isn't a great choice here (for increasing values of PAGE_SIZE, even
moreso).

Signed-off-by: Nathan Scott <nathans@sgi.com>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

14 years ago[PATCH] Update ramdisk documentation
Nathan Scott [Fri, 14 Jul 2006 07:24:10 +0000]
[PATCH] Update ramdisk documentation

The default ramdisk blocksize is actually 1024, not 512 bytes.  Also fixes
up some trailing whitespace issues.

Signed-off-by: Nathan Scott <nathans@sgi.com>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

14 years ago[PATCH] nommu: export two symbols for drivers to use
Luke Yang [Fri, 14 Jul 2006 07:24:09 +0000]
[PATCH] nommu: export two symbols for drivers to use

nommu.c needs to export two more symbols for drivers to use:
remap_pfn_range and unmap_mapping_range.

Signed-off-by: Luke Yang <luke.adi@gmail.com>
Cc: David Howells <dhowells@redhat.com>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

14 years ago[PATCH] hdrinstall: remove asm/io.h from user visibility
David Woodhouse [Fri, 14 Jul 2006 07:24:08 +0000]
[PATCH] hdrinstall: remove asm/io.h from user visibility

There's no excuse for userspace abusing this kernel header -- the kernel's
headers are not intended to provide a library of helper routines for
userspace.  Using <asm/io.h> from userspace is broken on most architectures
anyway.  Just say 'no'.

Signed-off-by: David Woodhouse <dwmw2@infradead.org>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

14 years ago[PATCH] hdrinstall: remove asm/atomic.h from user visibility
David Woodhouse [Fri, 14 Jul 2006 07:24:07 +0000]
[PATCH] hdrinstall: remove asm/atomic.h from user visibility

This isn't suitable for userspace to see -- the kernel headers are not a
random library of stuff for userspace; they're only there to define the
kernel<->user ABI for system libraries and tools.  Anything which _was_
abusing asm/atomic.h from userspace was probably broken anyway -- as it often
didn't even give atomic operation.

Signed-off-by: David Woodhouse <dwmw2@infradead.org>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

14 years ago[PATCH] hdrinstall: remove asm/irq.h from user visibility
David Woodhouse [Fri, 14 Jul 2006 07:24:07 +0000]
[PATCH] hdrinstall: remove asm/irq.h from user visibility

Remove asm/irq.h from the exported headers -- there was never any good reason
for it to have been listed.

Signed-off-by: David Woodhouse <dwmw2@infradead.org>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

14 years ago[PATCH] del_timer_sync(): add cpu_relax()
Andrew Morton [Fri, 14 Jul 2006 07:24:06 +0000]
[PATCH] del_timer_sync(): add cpu_relax()

Relax the CPU in the del_timer_sync() busywait loop.

Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

14 years ago[PATCH] remove kernel/kthread.c:kthread_stop_sem()
Adrian Bunk [Fri, 14 Jul 2006 07:24:05 +0000]
[PATCH] remove kernel/kthread.c:kthread_stop_sem()

Remove the now-unneeded kthread_stop_sem().

Signed-off-by: Adrian Bunk <bunk@stusta.de>
Acked-by: Alan Stern <stern@rowland.harvard.edu>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

14 years ago[PATCH] null-terminate over-long /proc/kallsyms symbols
Andreas Gruenbacher [Fri, 14 Jul 2006 07:24:04 +0000]
[PATCH] null-terminate over-long /proc/kallsyms symbols

Got a customer bug report (https://bugzilla.novell.com/190296) about kernel
symbols longer than 127 characters which end up in a string buffer that is
not NULL terminated, leading to garbage in /proc/kallsyms.  Using strlcpy
prevents this from happening, even though such symbols still won't come out
right.

A better fix would be to not use a fixed-size buffer, but it's probably not
worth the trouble.  (Modversion'ed symbols even have a length limit of 60.)

[bunk@stusta.de: build fix]
Signed-off-by: Andreas Gruenbacher <agruen@suse.de>
Signed-off-by: Adrian Bunk <bunk@stusta.de>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

14 years ago[PATCH] uml: header formatting cleanups
Jeff Dike [Fri, 14 Jul 2006 07:24:03 +0000]
[PATCH] uml: header formatting cleanups

Clean up whitespace and return syntax in os.h.

Signed-off-by: Jeff Dike <jdike@addtoit.com>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

14 years ago[PATCH] uml: tidy biarch gcc support
Jeff Dike [Fri, 14 Jul 2006 07:24:03 +0000]
[PATCH] uml: tidy biarch gcc support

On top of the previous biarch changes for UML, this makes the preprocessor
changes a bit cleaner.  Specify the 64-bit build in CPPFLAGS on the x86_64
SUBARCH, rather than #undef'ing i386.  Compile-tested with i386 and x86_64
SUBARCHs.

Signed-off-by: Nishanth Aravamudan <nacc@us.ibm.com>
Signed-off-by: Jeff Dike <jdike@addtoit.com>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

14 years ago[PATCH] uml: tidy longjmp macro
Jeff Dike [Fri, 14 Jul 2006 07:24:02 +0000]
[PATCH] uml: tidy longjmp macro

The UML_SETJMP macro was requiring its users to pass in a argument which it
could supply itself, since it wasn't used outside that invocation of the
macro.

Signed-off-by: Jeff Dike <jdike@addtoit.com>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

14 years ago[PATCH] i386: remove redundant might_sleep() in user accessors.
Vadim Lobanov [Fri, 14 Jul 2006 07:24:01 +0000]
[PATCH] i386: remove redundant might_sleep() in user accessors.

On i386, the user space accessor functions copy_from/to_user() both invoke
might_sleep(), do a quick sanity check, and then pass the work on to their
__copy_from/to_user() counterparts, which again invoke might_sleep().
Given that no actual work happens between these two calls, it is best to
eliminate one of the redundant might_sleep()s.

Signed-off-by: Vadim Lobanov <vlobanov@speakeasy.net>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

14 years ago[PATCH] i386 kexec: allow the kexec on panic support to compile on voyager
Eric W. Biederman [Fri, 14 Jul 2006 07:24:00 +0000]
[PATCH] i386 kexec: allow the kexec on panic support to compile on voyager

This patch removes the foolish assumption that SMP implied local apics.
That assumption is not-true on the Voyager subarch.  This makes that
dependency explicit, and allows the code to build.

What gets disabled is just an optimization to get better crash dumps so the
support should work if there is a kernel that will initialization on the
voyager subarch under those harsh conditions.

Hopefully we can figure out how to initialize apics in init_IRQ and remove
the need to disable io_apics and this dependency.

Signed-off-by: Eric W. Biederman <ebiederm@xmission.com>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

14 years ago[PATCH] Fix a memory leak in the i386 setup code
Catalin Marinas [Fri, 14 Jul 2006 07:23:59 +0000]
[PATCH] Fix a memory leak in the i386 setup code

Signed-off-by: Catalin Marinas <catalin.marinas@gmail.com>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

14 years ago[PATCH] i386: handle_BUG(): don't print garbage if debug info unavailable
Chuck Ebbert [Fri, 14 Jul 2006 07:23:58 +0000]
[PATCH] i386: handle_BUG(): don't print garbage if debug info unavailable

handle_BUG() tries to print file and line number even when they're not
available (CONFIG_DEBUG_BUGVERBOSE is not set.) Change this to print a
message stating info is unavailable instead of printing a misleading
message.

Signed-off-by: Chuck Ebbert <76306.1226@compuserve.com>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

14 years ago[PATCH] ia64: race flushing icache in COW path
Anil Keshavamurthy [Fri, 14 Jul 2006 07:23:57 +0000]
[PATCH] ia64: race flushing icache in COW path

There is a race condition that showed up in a threaded JIT environment.
The situation is that a process with a JIT code page forks, so the page is
marked read-only, then some threads are created in the child.  One of the
threads attempts to add a new code block to the JIT page, so a
copy-on-write fault is taken, and the kernel allocates a new page, copies
the data, installs the new pte, and then calls lazy_mmu_prot_update() to
flush caches to make sure that the icache and dcache are in sync.
Unfortunately, the other thread runs right after the new pte is installed,
but before the caches have been flushed.  It tries to execute some old JIT
code that was already in this page, but it sees some garbage in the i-cache
from the previous users of the new physical page.

Fix: we must make the caches consistent before installing the pte.  This is
an ia64 only fix because lazy_mmu_prot_update() is a no-op on all other
architectures.

Signed-off-by: Anil Keshavamurthy <anil.s.keshavamurthy@intel.com>
Signed-off-by: Tony Luck <tony.luck@intel.com>
Cc: Hugh Dickins <hugh@veritas.com>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

14 years ago[PATCH] mm: fix oom roll-back of __vmalloc_area_node
Jan Kiszka [Fri, 14 Jul 2006 07:23:56 +0000]
[PATCH] mm: fix oom roll-back of __vmalloc_area_node

__vunmap must not rely on area->nr_pages when picking the release methode
for area->pages.  It may be too small when __vmalloc_area_node failed early
due to lacking memory.  Instead, use a flag in vmstruct to differentiate.

Signed-off-by: Jan Kiszka <jan.kiszka@web.de>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

14 years ago[PATCH] IB/core: use correct gfp_mask in sa_query
Michael S. Tsirkin [Fri, 14 Jul 2006 07:23:56 +0000]
[PATCH] IB/core: use correct gfp_mask in sa_query

Avoid bogus out of memory errors: fix sa_query to actually pass gfp_mask
supplied by the user to idr_pre_get.

Signed-off-by: Michael S. Tsirkin <mst@mellanox.co.il>
Acked-by: "Sean Hefty" <mshefty@ichips.intel.com>
Acked-by: "Roland Dreier" <rdreier@cisco.com>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

14 years ago[PATCH] fmr pool: remove unnecessary pointer dereference
Michael S. Tsirkin [Fri, 14 Jul 2006 07:23:55 +0000]
[PATCH] fmr pool: remove unnecessary pointer dereference

ib_fmr_pool_map_phys gets the virtual address by pointer but never writes
there, and users (e.g.  srp) seem to assume this and ignore the value
returned.  This patch cleans up the API to get the VA by value, and updates
all users.

Signed-off-by: Michael S. Tsirkin <mst@mellanox.co.il>
Acked-by: Roland Dreier <rolandd@cisco.com>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

14 years ago[PATCH] IB/cm: set private data length for reject messages
Ira Weiny [Fri, 14 Jul 2006 07:23:54 +0000]
[PATCH] IB/cm: set private data length for reject messages

Set private data length for reject messages to the correct size.  Fix from
openib svn r8483.

Signed-off-by: Sean Hefty <sean.hefty@intel.com>
Signed-off-by: Michael S. Tsirkin <mst@mellanox.co.il>
Cc: Roland Dreier <rolandd@cisco.com>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

14 years ago[PATCH] srp: fix fmr error handling
Vu Pham [Fri, 14 Jul 2006 07:23:53 +0000]
[PATCH] srp: fix fmr error handling

srp_unmap_data assumes req->fmr is NULL if the request is not mapped, so we
must clean it out in case of an error.

Signed-off-by: Vu Pham <vu@mellanox.com>
Signed-off-by: Michael S. Tsirkin <mst@mellanox.co.il>
Acked-by: Roland Dreier <rolandd@cisco.com>
Cc: Roland Dreier <rolandd@cisco.com>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

14 years ago[PATCH] IB/addr: gid structure alignment fix
Michael S. Tsirkin [Fri, 14 Jul 2006 07:23:52 +0000]
[PATCH] IB/addr: gid structure alignment fix

The device address contains unsigned character arrays, which contain raw GID
addresses.  The GIDs may not be naturally aligned, so do not cast them to
structures or unions.

Signed-off-by: Sean Hefty <sean.hefty@intel.com>
Signed-off-by: Michael S. Tsirkin <mst@mellanox.co.il>
Cc: Roland Dreier <rolandd@cisco.com>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

14 years ago[PATCH] IB/cm: drop REQ when out of memory
Michael S. Tsirkin [Fri, 14 Jul 2006 07:23:52 +0000]
[PATCH] IB/cm: drop REQ when out of memory

If a user of the IB CM returns -ENOMEM from their connection callback, simply
drop the incoming REQ - do not attempt to send a reject.  This should allow
the sender to retry the request.

Signed-off-by: Michael S. Tsirkin <mst@mellanox.co.il>
Signed-off-by: Sean Hefty <sean.hefty@intel.com>
Cc: Roland Dreier <rolandd@cisco.com>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

14 years ago[PATCH] IB/mthca: comment fix
Michael S. Tsirkin [Fri, 14 Jul 2006 07:23:51 +0000]
[PATCH] IB/mthca: comment fix

After recent changes, mthca_wq_init does not actually initialize the WQ as it
used to - it simply resets all index fields to their initial values.  So,
let's rename it to mthca_wq_reset.

Signed-off-by: Michael S. Tsirkin <mst@mellanox.co.il>
Cc: Roland Dreier <rolandd@cisco.com>
Acked-by: Zach Brown <zach.brown@oracle.com>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

14 years ago[PATCH] IB/mthca: fix static rate returned by mthca_ah_query
Jack Morgenstein [Fri, 14 Jul 2006 07:23:50 +0000]
[PATCH] IB/mthca: fix static rate returned by mthca_ah_query

mthca_ah_query returs the static rate of the address handle in internal mthc
format.  fix it to use rate encoding from enum ib_rate, which is what users
expect.

Signed-off-by: Jack Morgenstein <jackm@mellanox.co.il>
Signed-off-by: Michael S. Tsirkin <mst@mellanox.co.il>
Cc: Roland Dreier <rolandd@cisco.com>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

14 years ago[PATCH] struct file leakage
Kirill Korotaev [Fri, 14 Jul 2006 07:23:49 +0000]
[PATCH] struct file leakage

2.6.16 leaks like hell. While testing, I found massive leakage
(reproduced in openvz) in:

*filp
*size-4096

And 1 object leaks in
*size-32
*size-64
*size-128

It is the fix for the first one.  filp leaks in the bowels of namei.c.

Seems, size-4096 is file table leaking in expand_fdtables.

I have no idea what are the rest and why they show only accompanying
another leaks.  Some debugging structs?

[akpm@osdl.org, Trond: remove the IS_ERR() check]
Signed-off-by: Alexey Kuznetsov <kuznet@ms2.inr.ac.ru>
Cc: Kirill Korotaev <dev@openvz.org>
Cc: <stable@kernel.org>
Cc: Trond Myklebust <trond.myklebust@fys.uio.no>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

14 years agoRelax /proc fix a bit
Linus Torvalds [Sat, 15 Jul 2006 04:48:03 +0000]
Relax /proc fix a bit

Clearign all of i_mode was a bit draconian. We only really care about
S_ISUID/ISGID, after all.

Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

14 years ago[CRYPTO] padlock: Fix alignment after aes_ctx rearrange
Michal Ludvig [Sat, 15 Jul 2006 01:08:50 +0000]
[CRYPTO] padlock: Fix alignment after aes_ctx rearrange

Herbert's patch 82062c72cd643c99a9e1c231270acbab986fd23f
in cryptodev-2.6 tree breaks alignment rules for PadLock
xcrypt instruction leading to General protection Oopses.

This patch fixes the problem.

Signed-off-by: Michal Ludvig <michal@logix.cz>
Signed-off-by: Herbert Xu <herbert@gondor.apana.org.au>

14 years ago[SPARC64] Fix PSYCHO PCI controler init.
Marc Zyngier [Fri, 14 Jul 2006 23:53:50 +0000]
[SPARC64] Fix PSYCHO PCI controler init.

pbm->name should be initialized before calling
pbm_register_toplevel_resources. Move the call a few lines down to
avoid a nice Oops.

Signed-off-by: Marc Zyngier <maz@misterjones.org>
Signed-off-by: David S. Miller <davem@davemloft.net>

14 years ago[SPARC64] psycho: Fix pbm->name handling in pbm_register_toplevel_resources()
David S. Miller [Fri, 14 Jul 2006 23:49:55 +0000]
[SPARC64] psycho: Fix pbm->name handling in pbm_register_toplevel_resources()

We shouldn't overwrite it, it's the device node full name
already and that's what we want.

Based upon a report from Marc Zyngier.

Signed-off-by: David S. Miller <davem@davemloft.net>

14 years ago[SERIAL] sunsab: Fix significant typo in sab_probe()
David S. Miller [Thu, 13 Jul 2006 23:07:25 +0000]
[SERIAL] sunsab: Fix significant typo in sab_probe()

Instead of initializing both ports of a SAB device
properly, we were setting up the first port
structure twice and ending up only with the second
port, oops.

Signed-off-by: David S. Miller <davem@davemloft.net>

14 years ago[SERIAL] sunsu: Report keyboard and mouse ports in kernel log.
David S. Miller [Thu, 13 Jul 2006 23:05:57 +0000]
[SERIAL] sunsu: Report keyboard and mouse ports in kernel log.

Otherwise there is no explicit mention of these devices.

Signed-off-by: David S. Miller <davem@davemloft.net>

14 years ago[SPARC64]: Make sure IRQs are disabled properly during early boot.
David S. Miller [Thu, 13 Jul 2006 23:05:26 +0000]
[SPARC64]: Make sure IRQs are disabled properly during early boot.

Else we trigger the new irqs_disable() assertion in start_kernel().

Signed-off-by: David S. Miller <davem@davemloft.net>

14 years agoFix nasty /proc vulnerability
Linus Torvalds [Fri, 14 Jul 2006 23:51:34 +0000]
Fix nasty /proc vulnerability

We have a bad interaction with both the kernel and user space being able
to change some of the /proc file status.  This fixes the most obvious
part of it, but I expect we'll also make it harder for users to modify
even their "own" files in /proc.

Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

14 years ago[VLAN]: __vlan_hwaccel_rx can use the faster ether_compare_addr
Stephen Hemminger [Fri, 14 Jul 2006 23:34:22 +0000]
[VLAN]: __vlan_hwaccel_rx can use the faster ether_compare_addr

The inline function compare_ether_addr is faster than memcmp.
Also, don't need to drag in proc_fs.h, the only reference to proc_dir_entry
is a pointer so the declaration is needed here.

Signed-off-by: Stephen Hemminger <shemminger@osdl.org>
Acked-by: Ben Greear <greearb@candelatech.com>
Signed-off-by: David S. Miller <davem@davemloft.net>

14 years ago[PKT_SCHED] HTB: initialize upper bound properly
Stephen Hemminger [Fri, 14 Jul 2006 23:32:27 +0000]
[PKT_SCHED] HTB: initialize upper bound properly

The upper bound for HTB time diff needs to be scaled to PSCHED
units rather than just assuming usecs.  The field mbuffer is used
in TDIFF_SAFE(), as an upper bound.

Signed-off-by: Stephen Hemminger <shemminger@osdl.org>
Acked-by: Jamal Hadi Salim <hadi@cyberus.ca>
Signed-off-by: David S. Miller <davem@davemloft.net>

14 years ago[IPV4]: Clear skb cb on IP input
Stephen Hemminger [Fri, 14 Jul 2006 21:49:32 +0000]
[IPV4]: Clear skb cb on IP input

when data arrives at IP through loopback (and possibly other devices).
So the field needs to be cleared before it confuses the route code.
This was seen when running netem over loopback, but there are probably
other device cases. Maybe this should go into stable?

Signed-off-by: Stephen Hemminger <shemminger@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: David S. Miller <davem@davemloft.net>

14 years ago[NET]: Update frag_list in pskb_trim
Herbert Xu [Fri, 14 Jul 2006 02:26:39 +0000]
[NET]: Update frag_list in pskb_trim

When pskb_trim has to defer to ___pksb_trim to trim the frag_list part of
the packet, the frag_list is not updated to reflect the trimming.  This
will usually work fine until you hit something that uses the packet length
or tail from the frag_list.

Examples include esp_output and ip_fragment.

Another problem caused by this is that you can end up with a linear packet
with a frag_list attached.

It is possible to get away with this if we audit everything to make sure
that they always consult skb->len before going down onto frag_list.  In
fact we can do the samething for the paged part as well to avoid copying
the data area of the skb.  For now though, let's do the conservative fix
and update frag_list.

Many thanks to Marco Berizzi for helping me to track down this bug.

This 4-year old bug took 3 months to track down.  Marco was very patient
indeed :)

Signed-off-by: Herbert Xu <herbert@gondor.apana.org.au>
Signed-off-by: David S. Miller <davem@davemloft.net>

14 years agoMerge branch 'upstream' of git://ftp.linux-mips.org/pub/scm/upstream-linus
Linus Torvalds [Thu, 13 Jul 2006 23:57:04 +0000]
Merge branch 'upstream' of git://ftp.linux-mips.org/upstream-linus

* 'upstream' of git://ftp.linux-mips.org/pub/scm/upstream-linus: (53 commits)
  [MIPS] sparsemem: fix crash in show_mem
  [MIPS] vr41xx: Update workpad setup function
  [MIPS] vr41xx: Update e55 setup function
  [MIPS] vr41xx: Removed old v2.4 VRC4173 driver
  [MIPS] vr41xx: Move IRQ numbers to asm-mips/vr41xx/irq.h
  [MIPS] MIPSsim: Build fix, rename sim_timer_setup -> plat_timer_setup.
  [MIPS] Remove unused code.
  [MIPS] IP22 Fix brown paper bag in RTC code.
  [MIPS] Atlas, Malta, SEAD: Don't disable interrupts in mips_time_init().
  [MIPS] Replace board_timer_setup function pointer by plat_timer_setup.
  [MIPS] Nuke redeclarations of board_time_init.
  [MIPS] Remove redeclarations of setup_irq().
  [MIPS] Nuke redeclarations of board_timer_setup.
  [MIPS] Print out TLB handler assembly for debugging.
  [MIPS] SMTC: Reformat to Linux style.
  [MIPS] MIPSsim: Delete redeclaration of ll_local_timer_interrupt.
  [MIPS] IP27: Reformatting.
  [MIPS] IP27: Invoke setup_irq for timer interrupt so proc stats will be shown.
  [MIPS] IP27: irq_chip startup method returns unsigned int.
  [MIPS] IP27: struct irq_desc member handler was renamed to chip.
  ...

14 years agoMerge git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/sfrench/cifs-2.6
Linus Torvalds [Thu, 13 Jul 2006 23:38:58 +0000]
Merge git://git./linux/kernel/git/sfrench/cifs-2.6

* git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/sfrench/cifs-2.6:
  [CIFS] CIFS_DEBUG2 depends on CIFS

14 years agoMerge master.kernel.org:/home/rmk/linux-2.6-mmc
Linus Torvalds [Thu, 13 Jul 2006 23:38:30 +0000]
Merge master.kernel.org:/home/rmk/linux-2.6-mmc

* master.kernel.org:/home/rmk/linux-2.6-mmc:
  [MMC] Change SDHCI version error to a warning
  [MMC] Fix incorrect register access

14 years agoMerge master.kernel.org:/home/rmk/linux-2.6-serial
Linus Torvalds [Thu, 13 Jul 2006 23:38:02 +0000]
Merge master.kernel.org:/home/rmk/linux-2.6-serial

* master.kernel.org:/home/rmk/linux-2.6-serial:
  [SERIAL] 8250: sysrq deadlock fix
  [SERIAL] 8250: add tsi108 serial support
  [SERIAL] IP22: fix serial console hangs
  [SERIAL] dz: Fix compilation error

14 years agoMerge master.kernel.org:/home/rmk/linux-2.6-arm
Linus Torvalds [Thu, 13 Jul 2006 23:37:29 +0000]
Merge master.kernel.org:/home/rmk/linux-2.6-arm

* master.kernel.org:/home/rmk/linux-2.6-arm:
  [ARM] arch/arm/kernel/bios32.c: no need to set isa_bridge
  [ARM] 3729/3: EABI padding rules necessitate the packed attribute of floatx80
  [ARM] 3725/1: sharpsl_pm: warn about wrong temperature
  [ARM] 3723/1: collie charging
  [ARM] 3728/1: Restore missing CPU Hotplug irq helper
  [ARM] 3727/1: fix ucb initialization on collie
  [ARM] Allow Versatile to be built for AB and PB
  [ARM] 3726/1: update {ep93xx,ixp2000,ixp23xx,lpd270,onearm} defconfigs to 2.6.18-rc1
  [ARM] 3721/1: Small cleanup for locomo.c

14 years ago[PATCH] revert slab.c locking change
Ingo Molnar [Thu, 13 Jul 2006 07:12:21 +0000]
[PATCH] revert slab.c locking change

Chandra Seetharaman reported SLAB crashes caused by the slab.c lock
annotation patch.  There is only one chunk of that patch that has a
material effect on the slab logic - this patch undoes that chunk.

This was confirmed to fix the slab problem by Chandra.

Signed-off-by: Ingo Molnar <mingo@elte.hu>
Tested-by: Chandra Seetharaman <sekharan@us.ibm.com>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

14 years ago[MIPS] sparsemem: fix crash in show_mem
Atsushi Nemoto [Thu, 13 Jul 2006 14:01:50 +0000]
[MIPS] sparsemem: fix crash in show_mem

With sparsemem, pfn should be checked by pfn_valid() before pfn_to_page().

Signed-off-by: Atsushi Nemoto <anemo@mba.ocn.ne.jp>
Signed-off-by: Ralf Baechle <ralf@linux-mips.org>

14 years ago[MIPS] vr41xx: Update workpad setup function
Yoichi Yuasa [Thu, 13 Jul 2006 08:33:33 +0000]
[MIPS] vr41xx: Update workpad setup function

Signed-off-by: Yoichi Yuasa <yoichi_yuasa@tripeaks.co.jp>
Signed-off-by: Ralf Baechle <ralf@linux-mips.org>