15 years ago[IA64] hotplug/ia64: SN Hotplug Driver - new SN PROM version code
Prarit Bhargava [Wed, 6 Jul 2005 22:29:13 +0000]
[IA64] hotplug/ia64: SN Hotplug Driver - new SN PROM version code

This patch is a rewrite of the code to check the PROM version.  The current
code has some deficiences in the way PROM comparisons were made.  The minimum
value of PROM that will boot has also been changed to 4.04.

Signed-off-by: Prarit Bhargava <prarit@sgi.com>
Signed-off-by: Tony Luck <tony.luck@intel.com>

15 years ago[IA64] hotplug/ia64: SN Hotplug Driver - pci_find_next_bus export
Prarit Bhargava [Wed, 6 Jul 2005 22:28:40 +0000]
[IA64] hotplug/ia64: SN Hotplug Driver - pci_find_next_bus export

The pci_find_next_bus function is listed as being exported to drivers.  It is
not EXPORT_SYMBOL'd.

Signed-off-by: Prarit Bhargava <prarit@sgi.com>
Signed-off-by: Tony Luck <tony.luck@intel.com>

15 years ago[IA64] hotplug/ia64: SN Hotplug Driver: moving of header files
Prarit Bhargava [Wed, 6 Jul 2005 22:26:51 +0000]
[IA64] hotplug/ia64: SN Hotplug Driver: moving of header files

This patch moves header files out of the arch/ia64/sn directories and into
include/asm-ia64/sn.  These files were being included by other subsystems
and should be under include/asm-ia64/sn.

Signed-off-by: Prarit Bhargava <prarit@sgi.com>
Signed-off-by: Tony Luck <tony.luck@intel.com>

15 years ago[IA64] hotplug/ia64: SN Hotplug Driver: SN IRQ Fixes
Prarit Bhargava [Wed, 6 Jul 2005 21:59:44 +0000]
[IA64] hotplug/ia64: SN Hotplug Driver: SN IRQ Fixes

This patch  fixes the SN IRQ code such that cpu affinity and
Hotplug can modify IRQ values.  The sn_irq_info structures are now locked
using a RCU lock mechanism to avoid lock contention in the lost interrupt
WAR code.

Signed-off-by: Prarit Bhargava <prarit@sgi.com>
Signed-off-by: Tony Luck <tony.luck@intel.com>

15 years agoMerge master.kernel.org:/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/gregkh/driver-2.6
Linus Torvalds [Thu, 30 Jun 2005 16:04:36 +0000]
Merge /pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/gregkh/driver-2.6

15 years agoMerge rsync://rsync.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/paulus/ppc64-2.6
Linus Torvalds [Thu, 30 Jun 2005 15:48:56 +0000]
Merge /pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/paulus/ppc64-2.6

15 years ago[PATCH] reiserfs: handle_attrs() fix
Andrew Morton [Thu, 30 Jun 2005 09:59:06 +0000]
[PATCH] reiserfs: handle_attrs() fix

Fix a use-uninitialised bug.

Cc: Jeff Mahoney <jeffm@suse.com>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

15 years ago[PATCH] freevxfs: minor cleanups
Pekka Enberg [Thu, 30 Jun 2005 09:59:05 +0000]
[PATCH] freevxfs: minor cleanups

This patch addresses the following minor issues:

  - Typo in printk
  - Redundant casts
  - Use C99 struct initializers instead of memset
  - Parenthesis around return value
  - Use inline instead of __inline__

Signed-off-by: Pekka Enberg <penberg@cs.helsinki.fi>
Cc: Christoph Hellwig <hch@lst.de>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

15 years ago[PATCH] freevxfs: remove 2.4 compatability
Pekka Enberg [Thu, 30 Jun 2005 09:59:05 +0000]
[PATCH] freevxfs: remove 2.4 compatability

This patch removes 2.4 compatability header from freevxfs.

Signed-off-by: Pekka Enberg <penberg@cs.helsinki.fi>
Cc: Christoph Hellwig <hch@lst.de>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

15 years ago[PATCH] freevxfs: fix buffer_head leak
Pekka Enberg [Thu, 30 Jun 2005 09:59:04 +0000]
[PATCH] freevxfs: fix buffer_head leak

- fix a buffer_head leak in vxfs_getfsh()

- s/SLAB_KERNEL/GFP_KERNEL/

- check sb_bread() return value

- drop pointless buffer-mapped() test.

Signed-off-by: Pekka Enberg <penberg@cs.helsinki.fi>
Cc: Christoph Hellwig <hch@lst.de>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

15 years ago[PATCH] Improper initrd failure message at boot time
Jay Lan [Thu, 30 Jun 2005 09:59:03 +0000]
[PATCH] Improper initrd failure message at boot time

On system boot up, there was an failure reported to boot.msg:

     <5>Trying to move old root to /initrd ... failed

According to initrd(4) man page, step #7 of BOOT-UP OPERATION
is described as below:
          7. If the normal root file has directory /initrd, device
          /dev/ram0 is moved from  /  to  /initrd.   Otherwise  if
          directory  /initrd  does  not  exist device /dev/ram0 is
          unmounted.

We got service calls from customers concerning about this failure message
at boot time.  Many systems do not have /initrd and thus the message can be
changed in the case of non-existing /initrd so that it does not sound like
a failure of the system.

Signed-off-by: Jay Lan <jlan@sgi.com>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

15 years ago[PATCH] udf_find_entry() cleanup
Christoph Hellwig [Thu, 30 Jun 2005 09:59:02 +0000]
[PATCH] udf_find_entry() cleanup

udf_find_entry can never be called with a NULL argument, so we shouldn't
check for it.

Signed-off-by: Christoph Hellwig <hch@lst.de>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

15 years ago[PATCH] fat: fix slab cache leak
Pekka J Enberg [Thu, 30 Jun 2005 09:59:01 +0000]
[PATCH] fat: fix slab cache leak

This patch plugs a slab cache leak in fat module initialization.

Signed-off-by: Pekka Enberg <penberg@cs.helsinki.fi>
Acked-by: OGAWA Hirofumi <hirofumi@mail.parknet.co.jp>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

15 years ago[PATCH] xtensa: Fix asm macro
Chris Zankel [Thu, 30 Jun 2005 09:59:00 +0000]
[PATCH] xtensa: Fix asm macro

Removed dead code in arch/xtensa/kernel/pci.c and use the pci_name() macro.
 Fixed an error in the delay asm macro: '1' is an invalid immediate value.

Signed-off-by: Chris Zankel <chris@zankel.net>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

15 years ago[PATCH] xtensa: Removed local copy of zlib and fixed O= support
Chris Zankel [Thu, 30 Jun 2005 09:58:59 +0000]
[PATCH] xtensa: Removed local copy of zlib and fixed O= support

Removed an unnecessary local copy of zlib (sorry for the add'l traffic).
Fixed 'O=' support (thanks to Jan Dittmer for pointing it out).  Some minor
clean-ups in the make files.

Signed-off-by: Chris Zankel <chris@zankel.net>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

15 years ago[PATCH] xtensa: Added mm/Kconfig to get a flat memory layout
Chris Zankel [Thu, 30 Jun 2005 09:58:58 +0000]
[PATCH] xtensa: Added mm/Kconfig to get a flat memory layout

Added 'mm/Kconfig' to the xtensa Kconfig file to get a flat memory layout.
Fixed a typo in one of the help texts (thanks Geert for pointing it out)

Signed-off-by: Chris Zankel <chris@zankel.net>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

15 years ago[PATCH] xtensa: cleanups for errno and ipc.
Chris Zankel [Thu, 30 Jun 2005 09:58:57 +0000]
[PATCH] xtensa: cleanups for errno and ipc.

I noticed this because I was doing some more ipc cleanups and I did the
original errno and ipc cleanups for other architectures, so it stuck out.

Signed-off-by: Stephen Rothwell <sfr@canb.auug.org.au>
Signed-off-by: Chris Zankel <chris@zankel.net>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

15 years ago[PATCH] xtensa: use valid_signal()
Jesper Juhl [Thu, 30 Jun 2005 09:58:56 +0000]
[PATCH] xtensa: use valid_signal()

xtensa should use valid_signal() instead of testing _NSIG directly like
everyone else.

Signed-off-by: Jesper Juhl <juhl-lkml@dif.dk>
Cc: Chris Zankel <chris@zankel.net>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

15 years ago[PATCH] x86: i8253/i8259A lock cleanup
Ingo Molnar [Thu, 30 Jun 2005 09:58:55 +0000]
[PATCH] x86: i8253/i8259A lock cleanup

Introduce proper declarations for i8253_lock and i8259A_lock.

Signed-off-by: Ingo Molnar <mingo@elte.hu>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

15 years ago[PATCH] ppc32: Fix pointer check for MPC8540 ADS device
Kumar Gala [Thu, 30 Jun 2005 09:58:55 +0000]
[PATCH] ppc32: Fix pointer check for MPC8540 ADS device

Editor snafu in which the call to ppc_sys_get_pdata got inside the if check
instead of before it.  Oops.

Signed-off-by: Kumar Gala <kumar.gala@freescale.com>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

15 years ago[PATCH] selinux_sb_copy_data() should not require a whole page
Eric Paris [Thu, 30 Jun 2005 09:58:51 +0000]
[PATCH] selinux_sb_copy_data() should not require a whole page

Currently selinux_sb_copy_data requires an entire page be allocated to
*orig when the function is called.  This "requirement" is based on the fact
that we call copy_page(in_save, nosec_save) and in_save = orig when the
data is not FS_BINARY_MOUNTDATA.  This means that if a caller were to call
do_kern_mount with only about 10 bytes of options, they would get passed
here and then we would corrupt PAGE_SIZE - 10 bytes of memory (with all
zeros.)

Currently it appears all in kernel FS's use one page of data so this has
not been a problem.  An out of kernel FS did just what is described above
and it would almost always panic shortly after they tried to mount.  From
looking else where in the kernel it is obvious that this string of data
must always be null terminated.  (See example in do_mount where it always
zeros the last byte.) Thus I suggest we use strcpy in place of copy_page.
In this way we make sure the amount we copy is always less than or equal to
the amount we received and since do_mount is zeroing the last byte this
should be safe for all.

Signed-off-by: Eric Paris <eparis@parisplace.org>
Cc: Stephen Smalley <sds@epoch.ncsc.mil>
Acked-by: James Morris <jmorris@redhat.com>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

15 years ago[PATCH] tpm: fix bug introduced by the /proc/misc
Kylene Jo Hall [Thu, 30 Jun 2005 09:58:50 +0000]
[PATCH] tpm: fix bug introduced by the /proc/misc

In fixing the /proc/misc problem that was reported last week where the tpm
module name was being obfuscated in /proc/misc I introduced a bug in the
module unloading code.  This patch fixes the problem.

Signed-off-by: Kylene Hall <kjhall@us.ibm.com>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

15 years ago[PATCH] ppc32: use correct register names in arch/ppc/kernel/relocate_kernel.S
Olaf Hering [Thu, 30 Jun 2005 09:58:49 +0000]
[PATCH] ppc32: use correct register names in arch/ppc/kernel/relocate_kernel.S

CONFIG_KEXEC=y doesnt work:

arch/ppc/kernel/relocate_kernel.S:37: Error: unsupported relocation against SRR1
arch/ppc/kernel/relocate_kernel.S:39: Error: unsupported relocation against SRR0

Signed-off-by: Olaf Hering <olh@suse.de>
Cc: "Eric W. Biederman" <ebiederm@xmission.com>
Cc: Benjamin Herrenschmidt <benh@kernel.crashing.org>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

15 years ago[PATCH] s390: fix finish_arch_switch
Heiko Carstens [Thu, 30 Jun 2005 09:58:48 +0000]
[PATCH] s390: fix finish_arch_switch

Commit 4866cde064afbb6c2a488c265e696879de616daa requires finish_arch_switch
to have only one parameter instead of two.

Also fix another compile error (double declaration of account_system_vtime)
if CONFIG_VIRT_CPU_ACCOUNTING is not defined.

Signed-off-by: Heiko Carstens <heiko.carstens@de.ibm.com>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

15 years ago[PATCH] pcmcia: update Documentation
Dominik Brodowski [Thu, 30 Jun 2005 09:58:47 +0000]
[PATCH] pcmcia: update Documentation

As the information is now exported via sysfs, there's no need for an userspace
tool any longer.

Signed-off-by: Dominik Brodowski <linux@dominikbrodowski.net>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

15 years ago[PATCH] pcmcia: fix modalias attribute in sysfs
Dominik Brodowski [Thu, 30 Jun 2005 09:58:47 +0000]
[PATCH] pcmcia: fix modalias attribute in sysfs

Fix up PCMCIA modalias file in sysfs

Signed-off-by: Dominik Brodowski <linux@dominikbrodowski.net>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

15 years agoMerge rsync://rsync.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6
Greg KH [Thu, 30 Jun 2005 05:54:31 +0000]
Merge /pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6

15 years ago[PATCH] Driver core: Use klist_del() instead of klist_remove().
Patrick Mochel [Fri, 24 Jun 2005 15:39:33 +0000]
[PATCH] Driver core: Use klist_del() instead of klist_remove().

Use klist_del() instead of klist_remove() when unregistering devices.
This will prevent a deadlock when executing a recursive unregister using
device_for_each_child().

Signed-off-by Patrick Mochel <mochel@digitalimplant.org>
Signed-off-by: Greg Kroah-Hartman <gregkh@suse.de>

15 years ago[PATCH] driver core: change bus_rescan_devices to return void
Greg Kroah-Hartman [Wed, 22 Jun 2005 23:09:05 +0000]
[PATCH] driver core: change bus_rescan_devices to return void

No one was looking at the return value of bus_rescan_devices, and it
really wasn't anything that anyone in the kernel would ever care about.
So change it which enabled some counting code to be removed also.

Signed-off-by: Greg Kroah-Hartman <gregkh@suse.de>

15 years ago[PATCH] driver core: Add the ability to bind drivers to devices from userspace
Greg Kroah-Hartman [Wed, 22 Jun 2005 23:09:05 +0000]
[PATCH] driver core: Add the ability to bind drivers to devices from userspace

This adds a single file, "bind", to the sysfs directory of every driver
registered with the driver core.  To bind a device to a driver, write
the bus id of the device you wish to bind to that specific driver to the
"bind" file (remember to not add a trailing \n).  If that bus id matches
a device on that bus, and it does not currently have a driver bound to
it, the probe sequence will be initiated with that driver and device.

Note, this requires that the driver itself be willing and able to accept
that device (usually through a device id type table).  This patch does
not make it possible to override the driver's id table.

Signed-off-by: Greg Kroah-Hartman <gregkh@suse.de>

15 years ago[PATCH] driver core: Add the ability to unbind drivers to devices from userspace
Greg Kroah-Hartman [Wed, 22 Jun 2005 23:09:05 +0000]
[PATCH] driver core: Add the ability to unbind drivers to devices from userspace

This adds a single file, "unbind", to the sysfs directory of every
device that is currently bound to a driver.  To unbind the driver from
the device, write anything to this file and they will be disconnected
from each other.

Signed-off-by: Greg Kroah-Hartman <gregkh@suse.de>

15 years ago[PATCH] driver core: add bus_find_device & driver_find_device functions
Cornelia Huck [Wed, 22 Jun 2005 14:59:51 +0000]
[PATCH] driver core: add bus_find_device & driver_find_device functions

Add bus_find_device() and driver_find_device() which allow searching for a
device in the bus's resp. the driver's klist and obtain a reference on it.

Signed-off-by: Cornelia Huck <cohuck@de.ibm.com>
Signed-off-by: Greg Kroah-Hartman <gregkh@suse.de>

15 years ago[PATCH] ppc64: Replace custom locking code with a spinlock
Michael Ellerman [Thu, 30 Jun 2005 05:17:02 +0000]
[PATCH] ppc64: Replace custom locking code with a spinlock

The hvlpevent_queue (formally ItLpQueue) has a member called xInUseWord
which is used for serialising access to the queue. Because it's a word
(ie. 32 bit) there's a custom 32-bit version of test_and_set_bit() or
thereabouts in ItLpQueue.c.

The xInUseWord is not shared with they hypervisor, so we can replace it
with a spinlock and remove the custom code.

There is also another locking mechanism (ItLpQueueInProcess). This is
redundant because it's only manipulated while the lock's held. Remove it.

Signed-off-by: Michael Ellerman <michael@ellerman.id.au>
Acked-by: Stephen Rothwell <sfr@canb.auug.org.au>
Signed-off-by: Paul Mackerras <paulus@samba.org>

15 years ago[PATCH] ppc64: Formatting cleanups in arch/ppc64/kernel/ItLpQueue.c
Michael Ellerman [Thu, 30 Jun 2005 05:16:48 +0000]
[PATCH] ppc64: Formatting cleanups in arch/ppc64/kernel/ItLpQueue.c

Just formatting cleanups:
 * rename some "nextLpEvent" variables to just "event"
 * make code fit in 80 columns
 * use brackets around if/else
 * use a temporary to make hvlpevent_clear_valid clearer

Signed-off-by: Michael Ellerman <michael@ellerman.id.au>
Acked-by: Stephen Rothwell <sfr@canb.auug.org.au>
Signed-off-by: Paul Mackerras <paulus@samba.org>

15 years ago[PATCH] ppc64: Cleanup whitespace in arch/ppc64/kernel/ItLpQueue.c
Michael Ellerman [Thu, 30 Jun 2005 05:16:28 +0000]
[PATCH] ppc64: Cleanup whitespace in arch/ppc64/kernel/ItLpQueue.c

Just cleanup white space.

Signed-off-by: Michael Ellerman <michael@ellerman.id.au>
Acked-by: Stephen Rothwell <sfr@canb.auug.org.au>
Signed-off-by: Paul Mackerras <paulus@samba.org>

15 years ago[PATCH] ppc64: Cleanup proc printing of event types
Michael Ellerman [Thu, 30 Jun 2005 05:16:18 +0000]
[PATCH] ppc64: Cleanup proc printing of event types

The code that prints event counts by type uses a hand-coded number of tabs
to get the alignment right. Instead use a printf alignment which will allow
allow us to use the event_type strings elsewhere in the future.

Signed-off-by: Michael Ellerman <michael@ellerman.id.au>
Acked-by: Stephen Rothwell <sfr@canb.auug.org.au>
Signed-off-by: Paul Mackerras <paulus@samba.org>

15 years ago[PATCH] ppc64: Simplify counting of lpevents, remove lpevent_count from paca
Michael Ellerman [Thu, 30 Jun 2005 05:16:09 +0000]
[PATCH] ppc64: Simplify counting of lpevents, remove lpevent_count from paca

Currently there's a per-cpu count of lpevents processed, a per-queue (ie.
global) total count, and a count by event type.

Replace all that with a count by event for each cpu. We only need to add
it up int the proc code.

Signed-off-by: Michael Ellerman <michael@ellerman.id.au>
Acked-by: Stephen Rothwell <sfr@canb.auug.org.au>
Signed-off-by: Paul Mackerras <paulus@samba.org>

15 years ago[PATCH] ppc64: Don't count number of events processed for caller
Michael Ellerman [Thu, 30 Jun 2005 05:15:53 +0000]
[PATCH] ppc64: Don't count number of events processed for caller

Currently we count the number of lpevents processed in 3 seperate places.

One of these counters is never read, so just remove it. This means
hvlpevent_queue_process() no longer needs to return the number of events
processed.

Signed-off-by: Michael Ellerman <michael@ellerman.id.au>
Acked-by: Stephen Rothwell <sfr@canb.auug.org.au>
Signed-off-by: Paul Mackerras <paulus@samba.org>

15 years ago[PATCH] ppc64: Rename ItLpQueue_* functions to hvlpevent_queue_*
Michael Ellerman [Thu, 30 Jun 2005 05:15:42 +0000]
[PATCH] ppc64: Rename ItLpQueue_* functions to hvlpevent_queue_*

Now that we've renamed the xItLpQueue structure, rename the functions that
operate on it also.

Signed-off-by: Michael Ellerman <michael@ellerman.id.au>
Acked-by: Stephen Rothwell <sfr@canb.auug.org.au>
Signed-off-by: Paul Mackerras <paulus@samba.org>

15 years ago[PATCH] ppc64: Rename xItLpQueue to hvlpevent_queue
Michael Ellerman [Thu, 30 Jun 2005 05:15:32 +0000]
[PATCH] ppc64: Rename xItLpQueue to hvlpevent_queue

The xItLpQueue is a queue of HvLpEvents that we're given by the Hypervisor.
Rename xItLpQueue to hvlpevent_queue and make the type struct hvlpevent_queue.

Signed-off-by: Michael Ellerman <michael@ellerman.id.au>
Acked-by: Stephen Rothwell <sfr@canb.auug.org.au>
Signed-off-by: Paul Mackerras <paulus@samba.org>

15 years ago[PATCH] ppc64: Move definition of xItLpQueue
Michael Ellerman [Thu, 30 Jun 2005 05:12:21 +0000]
[PATCH] ppc64: Move definition of xItLpQueue

The xItLpQueue is declared in LparData.c, move it into ItLpQueue.c.

Signed-off-by: Michael Ellerman <michael@ellerman.id.au>
Acked-by: Stephen Rothwell <sfr@canb.auug.org.au>
Signed-off-by: Paul Mackerras <paulus@samba.org>

15 years ago[PATCH] ppc64: Make two ItLpQueue related functions static
Michael Ellerman [Thu, 30 Jun 2005 05:08:56 +0000]
[PATCH] ppc64: Make two ItLpQueue related functions static

External parties don't need to use ItLpQueue_getNextLpEvent() or
ItLpQueue_clearValid(), they're internal to ItLpQueue.c

Signed-off-by: Michael Ellerman <michael@ellerman.id.au>
Acked-by: Stephen Rothwell <sfr@canb.auug.org.au>
Signed-off-by: Paul Mackerras <paulus@samba.org>

15 years ago[PATCH] ppc64: Move xItLpQueue proc code into ItLpQueue.c
Michael Ellerman [Thu, 30 Jun 2005 05:08:44 +0000]
[PATCH] ppc64: Move xItLpQueue proc code into ItLpQueue.c

Move the code that displays xItLpQueue values in /proc into
ItLpQueue.c.

Signed-off-by: Michael Ellerman <michael@ellerman.id.au>
Acked-by: Stephen Rothwell <sfr@canb.auug.org.au>
Signed-off-by: Paul Mackerras <paulus@samba.org>

15 years ago[PATCH] ppc64: Move initialisation of xItLpQueue into ItLpQueue.c
Michael Ellerman [Thu, 30 Jun 2005 05:08:27 +0000]
[PATCH] ppc64: Move initialisation of xItLpQueue into ItLpQueue.c

The xItLpQueue is initalised manually in iSeries_setup_arch().  Move
this code into ItLpQueue.c for a cleaner separation.

Signed-off-by: Michael Ellerman <michael@ellerman.id.au>
Acked-by: Stephen Rothwell <sfr@canb.auug.org.au>
Signed-off-by: Paul Mackerras <paulus@samba.org>

15 years ago[PATCH] ppc64: Don't pass the pointers to xItLpQueue around
Michael Ellerman [Thu, 30 Jun 2005 05:07:57 +0000]
[PATCH] ppc64: Don't pass the pointers to xItLpQueue around

Because there's only one ItLpQueue and we know where it is, ie. xItLpQueue,
there's no point passing pointers to it it around all over the place.

Signed-off-by: Michael Ellerman <michael@ellerman.id.au>
Acked-by: Stephen Rothwell <sfr@canb.auug.org.au>
Signed-off-by: Paul Mackerras <paulus@samba.org>

15 years ago[PATCH] ppc64: Reorganise the paca initialisation macros
Michael Ellerman [Thu, 30 Jun 2005 05:07:48 +0000]
[PATCH] ppc64: Reorganise the paca initialisation macros

This patch updates the macros that initialise the paca to remove the lpq
parameter. It also rearranges them a bit with the hope of making them a
bit clearer.

Signed-off-by: Michael Ellerman <michael@ellerman.id.au>
Acked-by: Stephen Rothwell <sfr@canb.auug.org.au>
Signed-off-by: Paul Mackerras <paulus@samba.org>

15 years ago[PATCH] ppc64: Move set_spread_lpevents() into ItLpQueue.c
Michael Ellerman [Thu, 30 Jun 2005 05:07:33 +0000]
[PATCH] ppc64: Move set_spread_lpevents() into ItLpQueue.c

The only code outside ItLpQueue.c that refers to spread_lpevents is in
set_apread_lpevents(), so move it inside ItLpQueue.c and make spread_lpevents
static.

Signed-off-by: Michael Ellerman <michael@ellerman.id.au>
Acked-by: Stephen Rothwell <sfr@canb.auug.org.au>
Signed-off-by: Paul Mackerras <paulus@samba.org>

15 years ago[PATCH] ppc64: Spread lpevents by default on iSeries
Michael Ellerman [Thu, 30 Jun 2005 05:07:21 +0000]
[PATCH] ppc64: Spread lpevents by default on iSeries

With the previous patch in place, spreading lpevents by default becomes
a one liner.

Signed-off-by: Michael Ellerman <michael@ellerman.id.au>
Acked-by: Stephen Rothwell <sfr@canb.auug.org.au>
Signed-off-by: Paul Mackerras <paulus@samba.org>

15 years ago[PATCH] ppc64: Remove lpqueue pointer from the paca on iSeries
Michael Ellerman [Thu, 30 Jun 2005 05:07:09 +0000]
[PATCH] ppc64: Remove lpqueue pointer from the paca on iSeries

The iSeries code keeps a pointer to the ItLpQueue in its paca struct. But
all these pointers end up pointing to the one place, ie. xItLpQueue.

So remove the pointer from the paca struct and just refer to xItLpQueue
directly where needed.

The only complication is that the spread_lpevents logic was implemented by
having a NULL lpqueue pointer in the paca on CPUs that weren't supposed to
process events. Instead we just compare the spread_lpevents value to the
processor id to get the same behaviour.

Signed-off-by: Michael Ellerman <michael@ellerman.id.au>
Acked-by: Stephen Rothwell <sfr@canb.auug.org.au>
Signed-off-by: Paul Mackerras <paulus@samba.org>

15 years agoMerge rsync://rsync.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/aegl/linux-2.6
Linus Torvalds [Thu, 30 Jun 2005 04:03:03 +0000]
Merge /pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/aegl/linux-2.6

15 years ago[PATCH] reiserfs: enable attrs by default if saf
Jeff Mahoney [Wed, 29 Jun 2005 22:53:06 +0000]
[PATCH] reiserfs: enable attrs by default if saf

The following patch enables attrs by default if the reiserfs_attrs_cleared
bit is set in the superblock.  This allows chattr-type attrs to be used
without any further action by the user.

Signed-off-by: Jeff Mahoney <jeffm@suse.com>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

15 years ago[PATCH] reiserfs: Check if attrs are enabled for attr ioctls
Jeff Mahoney [Wed, 29 Jun 2005 22:52:28 +0000]
[PATCH] reiserfs: Check if attrs are enabled for attr ioctls

ReiserFS currently will allow the user to set/get attrs for files
regardless if they are enabled.  The patch checks to see if they are
enabled, and returns -NOTTY if they are not.

ext[23] doesn't need this check because attrs are always enabled.

Signed-off-by: Jeff Mahoney <jeffm@suse.com>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

15 years agoMerge master.kernel.org:/home/rmk/linux-2.6-serial
Linus Torvalds [Thu, 30 Jun 2005 04:00:38 +0000]
Merge master.kernel.org:/home/rmk/linux-2.6-serial

15 years agoMerge master.kernel.org:/home/rmk/linux-2.6-arm
Linus Torvalds [Thu, 30 Jun 2005 03:59:55 +0000]
Merge master.kernel.org:/home/rmk/linux-2.6-arm

15 years ago[IA64] Update zx1_defconfig
Tony Luck [Wed, 29 Jun 2005 23:01:40 +0000]
[IA64] Update zx1_defconfig

Signed-off-by: Tony Luck <tony.luck@intel.com>

15 years ago[IA64] Update tiger_defconfig
Tony Luck [Wed, 29 Jun 2005 22:45:41 +0000]
[IA64] Update tiger_defconfig

Signed-off-by: Tony Luck <tony.luck@intel.com>

15 years agoAuto merge with /home/aegl/GIT/linus
Tony Luck [Wed, 29 Jun 2005 22:21:41 +0000]
Auto merge with /home/aegl/GIT/linus

15 years ago[PATCH] ARM: Don't force SIGFPE
Russell King [Wed, 29 Jun 2005 22:02:02 +0000]
[PATCH] ARM: Don't force SIGFPE

We were forcing SIGFPE on to a user program for no good reason.
Use send_sig_info() instead.

Signed-off-by: Russell King <rmk+kernel@arm.linux.org.uk>

15 years ago[PATCH] ARM: Fix VFP to use do_div()
Russell King [Wed, 29 Jun 2005 22:01:02 +0000]
[PATCH] ARM: Fix VFP to use do_div()

VFP used __divdi3 64-bit division needlessly.  Convert it to use
our 64-bit by 32-bit division instead.

Signed-off-by: Russell King <rmk+kernel@arm.linux.org.uk>

15 years ago[PATCH] ARM: 2771/1: Dynamic Tick support for OMAP, take 4
Tony Lindgren [Wed, 29 Jun 2005 18:59:48 +0000]
[PATCH] ARM: 2771/1: Dynamic Tick support for OMAP, take 4

Patch from Tony Lindgren

This patch adds support for Dynamic Tick Timer for OMAP.
This patch is an updated version of ARM patch 2642/1 to
make it work with the already integrated generic ARM
dyntick support.

Signed-off-by: Tony Lindgren <tony@atomide.com>
Signed-off-by: Russell King <rmk+kernel@arm.linux.org.uk>

15 years ago[PATCH] Serial: Split 8250 port table (part 2)
Russell King [Wed, 29 Jun 2005 17:45:19 +0000]
[PATCH] Serial: Split 8250 port table (part 2)

Remove legacy ISA serial ports for Accent, Boca, Fourport, Hub6 and MCA
from the architecture specific serial.h include.

The only ports which remain in asm-*/serial.h are the platform specific
entries.  These should really be converted by platform maintainers to
use a platform device, such as can be found in
arch/arm/mach-footbridge/isa.c

Signed-off-by: Russell King <rmk+kernel@arm.linux.org.uk>

15 years ago[PATCH] Serial: Disable OX950 transmitter for flow control
Russell King [Wed, 29 Jun 2005 17:41:51 +0000]
[PATCH] Serial: Disable OX950 transmitter for flow control

Disable the transmitter whenever we want to prevent characters
being transmitted by flow control.  However, if we run out of
characters to send and want to only disable the TX interrupt,
allow that scenario.

Signed-off-by: Russell King <rmk+kernel@arm.linux.org.uk>

15 years ago[PATCH] Serial: Check status of CTS when using flow control
Russell King [Wed, 29 Jun 2005 17:40:53 +0000]
[PATCH] Serial: Check status of CTS when using flow control

Fix bugme #4712: read the CTS status and set hw_stopped if CTS
is not active when opening the port and/or enabling CRTSCTS

Thanks to Stefan Wolff for spotting this problem.

Signed-off-by: Russell King <rmk+kernel@arm.linux.org.uk>

15 years ago[PATCH] ARM: Remove nmi_tick from integrator platforms
Russell King [Wed, 29 Jun 2005 17:26:19 +0000]
[PATCH] ARM: Remove nmi_tick from integrator platforms

The nmi watchdog code hasn't been merged for this platform yet.

Signed-off-by: Russell King <rmk+kernel@arm.linux.org.uk>

15 years ago[PATCH] ARM: 2723/2: remove __udivdi3 and __umoddi3 from the kernel
Nicolas Pitre [Wed, 29 Jun 2005 17:10:54 +0000]
[PATCH] ARM: 2723/2: remove __udivdi3 and __umoddi3 from the kernel

Patch from Nicolas Pitre

Those are big, slow and generally not recommended for kernel code.
They are even not present on i386.  So it should be concluded that
one could as well get away with do_div() alone.

Signed-off-by: Nicolas Pitre <nico@cam.org>
Signed-off-by: Russell King <rmk+kernel@arm.linux.org.uk>

15 years ago[PATCH] Don't fill up log with atxp1 vcore messages change message
Prakash Punnoor [Wed, 29 Jun 2005 12:13:54 +0000]
[PATCH] Don't fill up log with atxp1 vcore messages change message

I am using the atxp1 module to change vcore on my NForce2 via userspace
daemon (see punnoor.de).

Currently the atxp1 module will write to the log on every vcore change,
thus filling up my log - which I don't want.  I am no kernel coder, but
I guess, this one-liner will change this behaviour in a wanted way, ie
output will be made for debug purposes only.

Signed-off-by: Prakash Punnoor <prakash@punnoor.de>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

15 years ago[PATCH] Fix get_request nastiness
Hugh Dickins [Wed, 29 Jun 2005 14:15:40 +0000]
[PATCH] Fix get_request nastiness

get_request is now expected to be holding on to queue_lock, with interrupts
disabled, when it returns NULL; but one path forgot that, causing all kinds
of nastiness under swap load - badness backtraces, strange failures, BUGs.

Signed-off-by: Hugh Dickins <hugh@veritas.com>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

15 years agoRemove duplicate mention of "edd" in Documentation/kernel-parameters.txt
Linus Torvalds [Wed, 29 Jun 2005 15:43:49 +0000]
Remove duplicate mention of "edd" in Documentation/kernel-parameters.txt

15 years ago[PATCH] ARM: 2769/1: cpu_init() stack setup fix
Catalin Marinas [Wed, 29 Jun 2005 14:34:39 +0000]
[PATCH] ARM: 2769/1: cpu_init() stack setup fix

Patch from Catalin Marinas

The compiler allocates r14 for the stk variable in the __asm__ directive.
This is a shadowed register and gets changed when the mode is changed,
causing random values in the SP register. The patch adds a clobber for
the r14 register.

Signed-off-by: Catalin Marinas <catalin.marinas@arm.com>
Signed-off-by: Russell King <rmk+kernel@arm.linux.org.uk>

15 years ago[PATCH] ARM: 2768/1: PXA: Add a required header file for LL_DEBUG
Richard Purdie [Wed, 29 Jun 2005 14:17:49 +0000]
[PATCH] ARM: 2768/1: PXA: Add a required header file for LL_DEBUG

Patch from Richard Purdie

With DEBUG enabled, head.S includes arch/debug-macro.S. On the PXA, this
contains references to the macro io_p2v() so hardware.h needs to be
included.

Signed-off-by: Richard Purdie <rpurdie@openedhand.com>
Signed-off-by: Russell King <rmk+kernel@arm.linux.org.uk>

15 years ago[PATCH] ARM: Convert ARM timer implementations to use readl/writel
Russell King [Wed, 29 Jun 2005 14:15:54 +0000]
[PATCH] ARM: Convert ARM timer implementations to use readl/writel

Convert ARMs timer implementations to use readl/writel instead of accessing
the registers via a struct.

People have recently asked if accessing timers via a structure is the
"right way" and its not the Linux way.  So fix this code to conform to
"The Linux Way"(tm).

Signed-off-by: Russell King <rmk+kernel@arm.linux.org.uk>
Acked-by: Catalin Marinas <catalin.marinas@arm.com>

15 years ago[PATCH] ARM: 2765/1: S3C24XX - small cleanups in arch/arm/mach-s3c2410
Ben Dooks [Wed, 29 Jun 2005 10:09:15 +0000]
[PATCH] ARM: 2765/1: S3C24XX - small cleanups in arch/arm/mach-s3c2410

Patch from Ben Dooks

Re-tab the devs.c file, and change the initialiser for the
mach-vr1000.c to use `.xxx = yyy` form.

Signed-off-by: Ben Dooks <ben-linux@fluff.org>
Signed-off-by: Russell King <rmk+kernel@arm.linux.org.uk>

15 years ago[PATCH] ARM: 2764/1: S3C24XX - Common PM functions for Simtec boards
Ben Dooks [Wed, 29 Jun 2005 10:09:15 +0000]
[PATCH] ARM: 2764/1: S3C24XX - Common PM functions for Simtec boards

Patch from Ben Dooks

All current S3C24XX implementations from Simtec share the same
requirements for suspend/resume information.
This patch moves the save code out of the mach-bast.c file,
and into it's own so it can be shared by all the current
Simtec S3C24XX implementations.

Signed-off-by: Ben Dooks <ben-linux@fluff.org>
Signed-off-by: Russell King <rmk+kernel@arm.linux.org.uk>

15 years ago[PATCH] Serial: Adjust serial locking
Russell King [Wed, 29 Jun 2005 08:42:38 +0000]
[PATCH] Serial: Adjust serial locking

This patch changes the way serial ports are locked when getting modem
status.  This change is necessary because we will need to atomically
read the modem status and take action depending on the CTS status.

Signed-off-by: Russell King <rmk+kernel@arm.linux.org.uk>

15 years agoMerge with ../linux-2.6-smp
Russell King [Wed, 29 Jun 2005 08:40:28 +0000]
Merge with ../linux-2.6-smp

15 years agoLinux v2.6.13-rc1
Linus Torvalds [Wed, 29 Jun 2005 05:57:29 +0000]
Linux v2.6.13-rc1

Ok, a lot of things were pending after the 2.6.12 release, let's try to
start calming things down again.

15 years ago[PATCH] ieee80211.h build fix
Jeff Garzik [Wed, 29 Jun 2005 05:17:55 +0000]
[PATCH] ieee80211.h build fix

This crept in with the resync-to-mainline.  Nothing uses 802.11-crypt in
mainline, so we can safely comment it out for now.

Signed-off-by: Jeff Garzik <jgarzik@pobox.com>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

15 years agoMerge rsync://rsync.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/davem/net-2.6
Linus Torvalds [Wed, 29 Jun 2005 04:24:32 +0000]
Merge /pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/davem/net-2.6

15 years ago[PATCH] sis 760 support.
Dave Jones [Wed, 29 Jun 2005 00:08:29 +0000]
[PATCH] sis 760 support.

This patch adds the SiS 760 ID to the amd64-agp driver, so that agpgart can be
used on Athlon64 boards based on this chip.

Signed-off-by: Daniel Drake <dsd@gentoo.org>
Signed-off-by: Dave Jones <davej@redhat.com>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

15 years ago[PATCH] sparc32: Kconfig fixups
William Lee Irwin III [Wed, 29 Jun 2005 03:45:31 +0000]
[PATCH] sparc32: Kconfig fixups

Something reverted most of the arch/sparc/Kconfig changes, leaving
arch/sparc/ unconfigurable.  This patch re-removes the parts made redundant
by drivers/Kconfig in addition to a mysterious, spurious second instance of
source "mm/Kconfig".  cvs strikes again?

Signed-off-by: William Irwin <wli@holomorphy.com>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

15 years ago[PATCH] Doc/Submitting: corrections, additions
Randy Dunlap [Wed, 29 Jun 2005 03:45:30 +0000]
[PATCH] Doc/Submitting: corrections, additions

Corrections to Documentation/Submitting{Drivers,Patches}
- update LANANA info.
- fix some typos
- update 2.2 kernel maintainer info.
- update 'dontdiff' info.
- update URLs for patch scripts
- add Trivial Patch Monkey URL
- add more references for submitting patches

Signed-off-by: Randy Dunlap <rdunlap@xenotime.net>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

15 years ago[PATCH] V4L: documentation changes - mostly new cards included
Mauro Carvalho Chehab [Wed, 29 Jun 2005 03:45:28 +0000]
[PATCH] V4L: documentation changes - mostly new cards included

New cards included.
V4L1 api renamed. Message included informing it is obsoleted by V4L2 API.
V4L2 api included.
Mark all 7135 cards as 7133.

Signed-off-by: Luc Saillard <luc@saillard.org>.
Signed-off-by: Nickolay V Shmyrev <nshmyrev@yandex.ru>
Signed-off-by: Hermann Pitton <hermann.pitton@onlinehome.de>
Signed-off-by: Michael Krufky <mkrufky@m1k.net>
Signed-off-by: Mauro Carvalho Chehab <mchehab@brturbo.com.br>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

15 years ago[PATCH] V4L: API new webcam formats included
Mauro Carvalho Chehab [Wed, 29 Jun 2005 03:45:27 +0000]
[PATCH] V4L: API new webcam formats included

Add Philips Webcam format.

Signed-off-by: Mauro Carvalho Chehab <mchehab@brturbo.com.br>
Signed-off-by: Luc Saillard <luc@saillard.org>.
Signed-off-by: Nickolay V Shmyrev <nshmyrev@yandex.ru>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

15 years ago[PATCH] v4l: bttv new insmod parameters
Mauro Carvalho Chehab [Wed, 29 Jun 2005 03:45:25 +0000]
[PATCH] v4l: bttv new insmod parameters

* bttv-driver.c, bttvp.h:

- New bttv module params:

- uv_ratio : allow a ratio of saturation between u and v. If you
        have a ratio of 40 and a saturation of 100, usat will be 80 and
        vstat 120. Useful to correct a bad color balance.
- full_luma_range : provide a better contrast in using the full
        range 0-253 of values instead of 16-253.
- coring : to have a better black level.
- radio range is now defined on tuner-core.c. Cleaning up.

* bttvp.h:

- Fix gcc 4.0 compilation

Signed-off-by: Jorik Jonker <jorik@dnd.utwente.nl>
Signed-off-by: Sylvain Meyer <sylvain.meyer@worldonline.fr>
Signed-off-by: Mauro Carvalho Chehab <mchehab@brturbo.com.br>
Signed-off-by: Nickolay V Shmyrev <nshmyrev@yandex.ru>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

15 years ago[PATCH] v4l: tuner improvements
Mauro Carvalho Chehab [Wed, 29 Jun 2005 03:45:21 +0000]
[PATCH] v4l: tuner improvements

*tuner-core.c:
- some tuner_info msgs will be generated only if insmod opt
        tuner_debug enabled.
- Implemented tuner-core support for VIDIO_S_TUNER to allow
        changing mono/stereo mode
- Remove unneeded config options.
- I2C_CLIENT_MULTI option removed.
- support for Philips FMD12ME hybrid tuner
- allow to initialize with another tuner
- Move PHILIPS_FMD initialization code to set_type function,

* tda8290:

- Fix dumb error in tda8290 tunning.
- Radio tuner uses high-precision step instead of 62.5 KHz.

*tea5767.c:
- tuner_info msgs will be generated only if insmod tuner option
        tuner_debug enabled.
- some cleanups for better reading.
- Radio tuner uses high-precision step instead of 62.5 KHz.
- Changing radio mode stereo/mono for tea5767 working.

*tuner-simple.c:
- TNF9533-D/IF UHF fixup.
- Radio tuners now uses high-precision step instead of 62.5 KHz.

*mt20xx.c:
        - Radio tuner uses high-precision step instead of 62.5 KHz.

*tda9887.c:
        - tab and blank spaces corrections.

Signed-off-by: Mauro Carvalho Chehab <mchehab@brturbo.com.br>
Signed-off-by: Gerd Knorr <kraxel@bytesex.org>
Signed-off-by: Nickolay V Shmyrev <nshmyrev@yandex.ru>
Signed-off-by: Hartmut Hackmann <hartmut.hackmann@t-online.de>
Signed-off-by: Michael Krufky <mkrufky@m1k.net>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

15 years ago[PATCH] V4L maintainer patch
Mauro Carvalho Chehab [Wed, 29 Jun 2005 03:45:20 +0000]
[PATCH] V4L maintainer patch

This patch updates maintainer info for BTTV and V4L.

Signed-off-by: Mauro Carvalho Chehab <mchehab@brturbo.com.br>
Acked-by: Gerd Knorr <kraxel@bytesex.org>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

15 years ago[PATCH] irqpoll
Alan Cox [Wed, 29 Jun 2005 03:45:18 +0000]
[PATCH] irqpoll

Anyone reporting a stuck IRQ should try these options.  Its effectiveness
varies we've found in the Fedora case.  Quite a few systems with misdescribed
IRQ routing just work when you use irqpoll.  It also fixes up the VIA systems
although thats now fixed with the VIA quirk (which we could just make default
as its what Redmond OS does but Linus didn't like it historically).

A small number of systems have jammed IRQ sources or misdescribes that cause
an IRQ that we have no handler registered anywhere for.  In those cases it
doesn't help.

Signed-off-by: Alan Cox <number6@the-village.bc.nu>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

15 years ago[PATCH] ext3: reduce allocate-with-reservation lock latencies
Mingming Cao [Wed, 29 Jun 2005 03:45:16 +0000]
[PATCH] ext3: reduce allocate-with-reservation lock latencies

Currently in ext3 block reservation code, the global filesystem reservation
tree lock (rsv_block) is hold during the process of searching for a space
to make a new reservation window, including while scaning the block bitmap
to verify if the avalible window has a free block.  Holding the lock during
bitmap scan is unnecessary and could possibly cause scalability issue and
latency issues.

This patch tries to address this by dropping the lock before scan the
bitmap.  Before that we need to reserve the open window in case someone
else is targetting at the same window.  Question was should we reserve the
whole free reservable space or just the window size we need.  Reserve the
whole free reservable space will possibly force other threads which
intended to do block allocation nearby move to another block group(cause
bad layout).  In this patch, we just reserve the desired size before drop
the lock and scan the block bitmap.  This patch fixed a ext3 reservation
latency issue seen on a cvs check out test.  Patch is tested with many fsx,
tiobench, dbench and untar a kernel test.

Signed-Off-By: Mingming Cao <cmm@us.ibm.com>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

15 years ago[PATCH] blk: light iocontext ops
Nick Piggin [Wed, 29 Jun 2005 03:45:15 +0000]
[PATCH] blk: light iocontext ops

get_io_context needlessly turned off interrupts and checked for racing io
context creations.  Both of which aren't needed, because the io context can
only be created while in process context of the current process.

Also, split the function in 2.  A light version, current_io_context does not
elevate the reference count specifically, but can be used when in process
context, because the process holds a reference itself.

Signed-off-by: Nick Piggin <nickpiggin@yahoo.com.au>
Cc: Jens Axboe <axboe@suse.de>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

15 years ago[PATCH] blk: reduce locking
Nick Piggin [Wed, 29 Jun 2005 03:45:14 +0000]
[PATCH] blk: reduce locking

Change around locking a bit for a result of 1-2 less spin lock unlock pairs in
request submission paths.

Signed-off-by: Nick Piggin <nickpiggin@yahoo.com.au>
Cc: Jens Axboe <axboe@suse.de>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

15 years ago[PATCH] blk: __make_request efficiency
Nick Piggin [Wed, 29 Jun 2005 03:45:13 +0000]
[PATCH] blk: __make_request efficiency

In the case where the request is not able to be merged by the elevator, don't
retake the lock and retry the merge mechanism after allocating a new request.

Instead assume that the chance of a merge remains slim, and now that we've
done most of the work allocating a request we may as well just go with it.

Also be rid of the GFP_ATOMIC allocation: we've got working mempools for the
block layer now, so let's save atomic memory for things like networking.

Lastly, in get_request_wait, do an initial get_request call before going into
the waitqueue.  This is reported to help efficiency.

Signed-off-by: Nick Piggin <nickpiggin@yahoo.com.au>
Cc: Jens Axboe <axboe@suse.de>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

15 years ago[PATCH] coverity: tty_ldisc_ref return null check
KAMBAROV, ZAUR [Wed, 29 Jun 2005 03:45:12 +0000]
[PATCH] coverity: tty_ldisc_ref return null check

We add a check of the return value of tty_ldisc_ref(), which
is checked 7 out of 8 times, e.g.:

149   ld = tty_ldisc_ref(tty);
150   if (ld != NULL) {
151   if (ld->set_termios)
152   (ld->set_termios)(tty, &old_termios);
153   tty_ldisc_deref(ld);
154   }

This defect was found automatically by Coverity Prevent, a static analysis
tool.

(akpm: presumably `ld' is never NULL.  Oh well)

Signed-off-by: Zaur Kambarov <zkambarov@coverity.com>
Cc: Alan Cox <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

15 years ago[PATCH] coverity: fs/ext3/super.c: match_int return check
KAMBAROV, ZAUR [Wed, 29 Jun 2005 03:45:11 +0000]
[PATCH] coverity: fs/ext3/super.c: match_int return check

The return value of  "match_int" is  checked  27 out of 28 times

In lib/parser.c
142   /**
143    * match_int: - scan a decimal representation of an integer from a substring_t
144    * @s: substring_t to be scanned
145    * @result: resulting integer on success
146    *
147    * Description: Attempts to parse the &substring_t @s as a decimal integer. On
148    * success, sets @result to the integer represented by the string and returns 0.
149    * Returns either -ENOMEM or -EINVAL on failure.
150    */
151   int match_int(substring_t *s, int *result)
152   {
153   return match_number(s, result, 0);
154   }

Signed-off-by: Zaur Kambarov <zkambarov@coverity.com>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

15 years ago[PATCH] coverity: fs/udf/namei.c null check
KAMBAROV, ZAUR [Wed, 29 Jun 2005 03:45:10 +0000]
[PATCH] coverity: fs/udf/namei.c null check

"dir" was dereferenced before null check

Signed-off-by: Zaur Kambarov <zkambarov@coverity.com>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

15 years ago[PATCH] coverity: ipmi_msghandler() channels array overrun fix
KAMBAROV, ZAUR [Wed, 29 Jun 2005 03:45:08 +0000]
[PATCH] coverity: ipmi_msghandler() channels array overrun fix

We fix the check in 1084, which was

1084  if (addr->channel > IPMI_NUM_CHANNELS) {
1085  spin_lock_irqsave(&intf->counter_lock, flags);
1086  intf->sent_invalid_commands++;
1087  spin_unlock_irqrestore(&intf->counter_lock, flags);
1088  rv = -EINVAL;
1089  goto out_err;
1090  }

addr->channel is used in

1092  if (intf->channels[addr->channel].medium

Definitions involved:

221   struct ipmi_channel channels[IPMI_MAX_CHANNELS];

134   #define IPMI_MAX_CHANNELS       8

In /linux-2.6.12-rc6/include/linux/ipmi.h
148   #define IPMI_NUM_CHANNELS 0x10

Signed-off-by: Zaur Kambarov <zkambarov@coverity.com>
Cc: Corey Minyard <minyard@acm.org>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

15 years ago[PATCH] coverity: i386: scsi_lib buffer overrun fix
KAMBAROV, ZAUR [Wed, 29 Jun 2005 03:45:06 +0000]
[PATCH] coverity: i386: scsi_lib buffer overrun fix

The check in

627   BUG_ON(index > SG_MEMPOOL_NR);

with SG_MEMPOOL_NR defined in

32    #define SG_MEMPOOL_NR (sizeof(scsi_sg_pools)/sizeof(struct scsi_host_sg_pool))

was not sufficient.

sgp, set in

629   sgp = scsi_sg_pools + index;

is dereferenced in

630   mempool_free(sgl, sgp->pool);

Signed-off-by: Zaur Kambarov <zkambarov@coverity.com>
Cc: <linux-scsi@vger.kernel.org>
Cc: James Bottomley <James.Bottomley@steeleye.com>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

15 years ago[PATCH] coverity: i386: build.c: negative return to unsigned fix
KAMBAROV, ZAUR [Wed, 29 Jun 2005 03:45:06 +0000]
[PATCH] coverity: i386: build.c: negative return to unsigned fix

Variable "c" was declared as an unsigned int, but used in:

125   for (i=0 ; (c=read(fd, buf, sizeof(buf)))>0 ; i+=c )
126   if (write(1, buf, c) != c)
127   die("Write call failed");

(akpm: read() can return -1.  If it does, we fill the disk up with garbage).

Signed-off-by: Zaur Kambarov <zkambarov@coverity.com>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

15 years ago[PATCH] headers: include linux/types.h for usb_ch9.h
GOTO Masanori [Wed, 29 Jun 2005 03:45:05 +0000]
[PATCH] headers: include linux/types.h for usb_ch9.h

This patch for usb_ch9.h includes linux/types.h instead of asm/types.h so that
__le16 and so on is explicitly defined.  It also cleans up non standard //
comment.

Signed-off-by: GOTO Masanori <gotom@debian.or.jp>
Cc: Greg KH <greg@kroah.com>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

15 years ago[PATCH] headers: include linux/compiler.h for __user
GOTO Masanori [Wed, 29 Jun 2005 03:45:04 +0000]
[PATCH] headers: include linux/compiler.h for __user

This patch lets i2c-dev.h include linux/compiler.h so that __user is defined.

Signed-off-by: GOTO Masanori <gotom@debian.or.jp>
Cc: Greg KH <greg@kroah.com>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>

15 years ago[PATCH] headers: enable ppc64 ___arch__swab16 and ___arch__swab32
GOTO Masanori [Wed, 29 Jun 2005 03:45:03 +0000]
[PATCH] headers: enable ppc64 ___arch__swab16 and ___arch__swab32

This patch cleans up asm-ppc64/byteorder.h to enable ___arch__swab16 and
___arch__swab32 which are marked TODO currently.  It removes ___arch__swab64
because ppc64 does not have short instruction combinations for swab64, the
recent gcc generates enough smart code that is equivalent to hand assembled
code under my tests.

Signed-off-by: GOTO Masanori <gotom@debian.or.jp>
Cc: Paul Mackerras <paulus@samba.org>
Cc: Benjamin Herrenschmidt <benh@kernel.crashing.org>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>